Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh BBK

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
On the topic of SVT rear bracket, cna anyone confirm the part number as well as th best place to buy? No junkyards near me, will just source online.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #24
Stopping power is phenomenal. I never used the pads that came with it, I upgraded. Spacer depends on the wheel. What wheels are you using? Calipers are large AF, 4 piston. I have a build thread with more photos if interested, otherwise ask away.
I'll be running the stockers. I like them but plan to get 7.5 in the near future so I can get a wider tire than 205 and also so I wont need spacers for the BBK.

Erick_V

On the topic of SVT rear bracket, cna anyone confirm the part number as well as th best place to buy? No junkyards near me, will just source online.
I had a thought recently when I replaced the front caliper for my old man on his truck. When I bought the caliper from O’Riellys it came with a new caliper bracket for said caliper. I wonder if we were to buy an SVT caliper if it would come with the bracket too. Obviously it would be more expensive that way but hey, we have the rear bracket lol

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #26
I had a thought recently when I replaced the front caliper for my old man on his truck. When I bought the caliper from O’Riellys it came with a new caliper bracket for said caliper. I wonder if we were to buy an SVT caliper if it would come with the bracket too. Obviously it would be more expensive that way but hey, we have the rear bracket lol
I would do it and then just sell the caliper. Or install it if it was a better unit.

I would think there is more to this story. This sounds like a firend of a friend forum nonsense. I'd expect some facts to back up such an insane claim. wilwood sells a lot of brake kits, they use these same calipers and same diameter if maybe .3" thicker rotors on heavy, powerful cars with huge tires. You can almost kill yourself in a ceramic brake gt3rs too without careful track specific maintenance. Are they under-braked? Running high temps fluid and not maintaining/flushing before each track day. Maybe not running high temp fluid at all. Pushing the stock 6712 bp10 pad which is just not up to the task for track use. I've even seen people install calipers upside down and tear pads up. Was he on slicks?

The wilwood isn't as heavy duty as some other kits. But it's fine for a fiesta. Probably more than most need on a ultra high performance tire. I'm a group 4 driver. I haven't had an issue with the Wildwood kit. The wilwood kit with even the lower polymatrix pads are a very serious step up from conventional brakes in stopping power and durability.

The best tpart about wilwood is that they aren't overkill. They improve ride and steering feel a lot. with the low cost of entry, they are worth it just to run their cheap iron rings that are about $50 each and bp10 or bp20 pads for a pure street car and enjoy the big drivability benefits. I have a steel brake 911 turbo on ebc yellows. The wilwood brakes are stonger and just as durable with the same fluid and care.

My only concern with the whoosh kit would be, what replacments does it use? Who actually builds this kit? Are they readily available and will they be readily available if Ron discontinued or decided to stop supporting the kit? Because ordering replacment and service parts from some of the brake kit companies is a pain in the ass. Especially in America. Given it's price point, I'd be curious who the supplier is. Those aren't wilwood parts. I'd want to know where I can get rebuild parts, rings, and replacement hats. Also, that there is a good pad choice available. And it doesnt hurt to be able to buy off the shelf replacement flexlines.

Btw, it's worth upgrading to tce performance flexline. He is a great guy and his lines are way better than the fragile wilwood lines. They eliminate some of the fussy fittings too.
Thanks for the heads up! What failed? Maybe they saved too much weight.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would think there is more to this story. This sounds like a firend of a friend forum nonsense. I'd expect some facts to back up such an insane claim. wilwood sells a lot of brake kits, they use these same calipers and same diameter if maybe .3" thicker rotors on heavy, powerful cars with huge tires. You can almost kill yourself in a ceramic brake gt3rs too without careful track specific maintenance. Are they under-braked? Running high temps fluid and not maintaining/flushing before each track day. Maybe not running high temp fluid at all. Pushing the stock 6712 bp10 pad which is just not up to the task for track use. I've even seen people install calipers upside down and tear pads up. Was he on slicks?

The wilwood isn't as heavy duty as some other kits. But it's fine for a fiesta. Probably more than most need on a ultra high performance tire. I'm a group 4 driver. I haven't had an issue with the Wildwood kit. The wilwood kit with even the lower polymatrix pads are a very serious step up from conventional brakes in stopping power and durability.

The best tpart about wilwood is that they aren't overkill. They improve ride and steering feel a lot. with the low cost of entry, they are worth it just to run their cheap iron rings that are about $50 each and bp10 or bp20 pads for a pure street car and enjoy the big drivability benefits. I have a steel brake 911 turbo on ebc yellows. The wilwood brakes are stonger and just as durable with the same fluid and care.

My only concern with the whoosh kit would be, what replacments does it use? Who actually builds this kit? Are they readily available and will they be readily available if Ron discontinued or decided to stop supporting the kit? Because ordering replacment and service parts from some of the brake kit companies is a pain in the ass. Especially in America. Given it's price point, I'd be curious who the supplier is. Those aren't wilwood parts. I'd want to know where I can get rebuild parts, rings, and replacement hats. Also, that there is a good pad choice available. And it doesnt hurt to be able to buy off the shelf replacement flexlines.

Btw, it's worth upgrading to tce performance flexline. He is a great guy and his lines are way better than the fragile wilwood lines. They eliminate some of the fussy fittings too.
In question about the Whoosh kit my friend did extensive research and they are a rebranded AP caliper that is not available in the U.S. per se but is in the AP catalog.

So ya parts are available and the Calipers are lighter than our stock calipers. I am waiting on a set of 3mm spacers so I can put mine on with my Dekagrams . I will be running EBC Orange with them.

The problem with Wilwood is not that don’t work , I know BMW people that race in historic‘s using Wilwood all day long. They problem is how the bracket mounts in our cars is not ideal and I based on my mechanical engineer friends observations find it questionable.

Now it’s not to say you can’t use them just certain people like myself do not look on them as ideal.

There are actually a number of after market parts for our cars that some people swear up and down a tree by that I do not consider ideal. It‘s a prerogative and people should learn to respect it when legitimate concern is voiced by anyone after inspection and research. I tend to do that as does my friend who does not post all the time but is a mechanical engineer by trade.
You make a choice you either look at the part inspect it’s design and build and research it and evaluate it or you just buy it because it’s on a website for sale so it must be good.
I probably would not have the Whoosh Calipers had it not been the research my friend did. That and the fact that I got a hook up as he decided to try out EBC Calipers and just decided once they were on he was not going to take them off. Ya EBC‘s are heavier but have even more braking power spread out across a better piston design so that’s the trade off. In my instance the Whoosh/ AP Calipers will be fine.

Last edited:
In question about the Whoosh kit my friend did extensive research and they are a rebranded AP caliper that is not available in the U.S. per se but is in the AP catalog.

So ya parts are available and the Calipers are lighter than our stock calipers. I am waiting on a set of 3mm spacers so I can put mine on with my Dekagrams . I will be running EBC Orange with them.

The problem with Wilwood is not that don’t work , I know BMW people that race in historic‘s using Wilwood all day long. They problem is how the bracket mounts in our cars is not ideal and I based on my mechanical engineer friends observations find it questionable.

Now it’s not to say you can’t use them just certain people like myself do not look on them as ideal.

There are actually a number of after market parts for our cars that some people swear up and down a tree by that I do not consider ideal. It‘s a prerogative and people should learn to respect it when legitimate concern is voiced by anyone after inspection and research. I tend to do that as does my friend who does not post all the time but is a mechanical engineer by trade.
You make a choice you either look at the part inspect it’s design and build and research it and evaluate it or you just buy it because it’s on a website for sale so it must be good.
I probably would not have the Whoosh Calipers had it not been the research my friend did. That and the fact that I got a hook up as he decided to try out EBC Calipers and just decided once they were on he was not going to take them off. Ya EBC‘s are heavier but have even more braking power spread out across a better piston design so that’s the trade off. In my instance the Whoosh/ AP Calipers will be fine.
Radial mount is nice from a fitment/adjustment perspective. My kit took 2 shims as the manual said. Perfect fit and alignment. Kit has perfect, prediction machined rotor registers. Zero runout. I doubt you're average fiesta street/part time track day car will be able to tell the difference in mounting stiffness of radial vs lug mount. So that's probably irrelevant to 99% of customers. The wilwood is a decently stiff bottom feed caliper. It has amazing feedback vs a stock brake. Diminishing returns.

Regardless your considered and logical argument is a lot different than "a friend of a friends wilwood brakes almost killed him at some random kart track".......

So yea, at the end of the day, there are lots with more braking power on the market. What your doing with the master cylinder is also a consideration. Again, diminishing returns. For me, price isn't an issue, the wilwood is the lightest setup. It gives tangible benefits every single time I drove the car. Not just the couple pdx a year that I attend in the fiesta vs. My turbo. I can lock up my car on dirstar specs in an instant. So I don't need 2,3,5, feet shorter stopping distances that my tires can't even use. If I wanted the best kit to race my fiesta, or make nationals, is probably go stoptech.

Btw, tce has a radial mount, wilwood based fiesta kit if that's a must have feature for someone. I think he has sets on clearance.....

Last edited:
came across the "wilwood brakes almost killed me" guy in a brake pad search. As suspected, "my stupidity and negligence almost killed me" would have been a better thread title. His pads were worn to the backing plate. You can't use a a higher wear pad and rotor combo, with low heat/street qualities,(he was on a bp20) drive them around on your daily driver for xxxx miles, then hit the track for session after session without ever checking your pads. A 30 second, common sense check could have prevented his whole fiasco. I'm sure there is a post on a forum somewhere titled "some moron in a fiesta almost killed me!"

All those people at the track day checking tire pressures, brakes, heat paint, and other things; they aren't doing it just to go corner harder and stop quicker. They definitely aren't doing it for fun. They are being responsible, safe participants.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #34

The EBC's are good but I think they're probably overkill for anyone not on the track. I never had a BBK before and the jump from stock is INSANE. I don't know what the floating feature of the caliper does but I cant notice that part in particular. I do feel the massive bite that seems unlimited. But if you press on the brake hard enough it will lock up the tires so they probably need slicks to see the limit. I'm super happy with them but wanted the Whoosh BBK since Ron's products never disappoint. I also think the Whoosh kit would be less expensive when it comes to replacement parts but not sure.

I did some googling and replacement rotors (pair) for the EBC is about $1k which is going to sting a bit when the time comes lol Hope they last at least a couple years!

kevinatfms

Anyone tried the 285mm Whoosh BBK on a 15x8 setup? I'm interested, but I'm concerned about clearance issues. Wheels are Rota Slipstreams, ET30.
I think i remember there being a template that came out for clearance check.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has anyone ever figured out the spacer size with stock wheels?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The EBC's are good but I think they're probably overkill for anyone not on the track. I never had a BBK before and the jump from stock is INSANE. I don't know what the floating feature of the caliper does but I cant notice that part in particular. I do feel the massive bite that seems unlimited. But if you press on the brake hard enough it will lock up the tires so they probably need slicks to see the limit. I'm super happy with them but wanted the Whoosh BBK since Ron's products never disappoint. I also think the Whoosh kit would be less expensive when it comes to replacement parts but not sure.

I did some googling and replacement rotors (pair) for the EBC is about $1k which is going to sting a bit when the time comes lol Hope they last at least a couple years!
I did not go with EBC’s and my friend who did is one of the faster drivers I know of. If anyone could use the EBC’s it would be him. All I know is I am happy he got them because it allowed me to get the Whoosh for a great deal.
As soon as I get my car back the Whoosh will finally be going on as I got my 3mm spacers to fit them under my Dekagrams.

Last edited: