Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Windshield Washer

My windshield washer pump suddenly stopped working. Replaced the pump, still does not work. Both fuses that feed the wiring connect @ the pump are okay. Reversing Lamp Relay is okay. I have narrowed it down to the wiper switch on the steering column. (2) questions, (1) where is the connection located for the switch and (1) has anyone else found the wiper switch to be the reason for the washer pump failure. Note: I do not have any power going through the pump wiring harness to the pump itself.

slopoke

Did you do a visual on the fuse, or did you do a continuity check. Doesn't hurt to check the fuse with a continuity tester, or multimeter.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Switches wiring goes from the stalk to the clockspring in the column.

OP
N
Thread Starter #4
Did a visual, had two other people @ autozone verify that the fuses were okay. Also checked them with a voltage tester -okay. Where is the clockspring spring in the column located. My wiring diagram does not show any clockspr
(2) of the fuses are yellow and (1) is pink. (1) yellow and (1) pink are 15 amp and (1) yellow is 20 amp. they are okay.

OP
N
Thread Starter #5
The only fuses I could locate are the (3) the feed the wiring harness @ the washer pump. On my SE there is no fuse in the passenger compartment for the pump, it is empty where the MK model's is located.
Where is the fuse for the washer pump, do you know it's location on the SE

OP
N
Thread Starter #6
A repair manual I have says the windshield wiper switch washer fuse is located at F7 in the Central Junction Box. I only know of 2 locations. Next to the battery and behind the glove box. Where is the central junction Box located?

OP
N
Thread Starter #7
Haynes Repair manual Page 12-22 Wiring Diagrams shows it located in the Central Junction Box @ F7 fuse 15 amp. Windshield Wiper, Washer Switch. There is no central junction box listed in my owners manual. So someone, please tell me where it is located? All the fuses are activate in both engine compartment & Glove Box locations. There is no such fuse listed in my owners manual for the wiper switch, which I know controls the washer pump.
Is it possible that the wiper stalk Switch is the problem and needs to be replaced or the Body Control Module.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Pull the cover off of the column on top. The stalks connect right to the clockspring. Have you tested the stalk yet.

OP
N
Thread Starter #9
No, but I have a new one coming soon and I will be installing the new one, because I believe that is the problem, but I still want to rule out that fuse. My Haynes Repair manual, says the fuse for the windshield wiper, washer switch is located in the Central Junction box. It is listed as a F7 fuse 15 amp.. Do you have any idea where this box is located ? I need to locate it to rule out the fuse.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Its either the one behind the glove box ( on a lhd model) or under the hood by the battery

OP
N
Thread Starter #11
Are you saying there is a junction box near either one of those fuse blocks-Glove box or Battery), because my owners manual only shows those (2) fuse box locations.
The Haynes manual shows several types of junction boxes, but they do not tell you where any of them are located. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but this one I need help with, because I have no idea where this central junction box is located, unless it is near where you mentioned.

OP
N
Thread Starter #12
These new cars today have so much electrical boxes and connections, it is hard to locate any of it today. Obviousily, the dealer knows where they are, if you need to lose your wallet.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Replace the Fuse..they can appear OK. But in the end it still could be blown. Don't trust the Meatballs down at the local Parts store...I wouldn't trust them to strap the Velcro on my shoes.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Those should be the only two places for fuses and relays. No where else as far as i know.

OP
N
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for the reply. I'll replace those two fuses and see what happens.

OP
N
Thread Starter #16
Where is the fuse for the front windshield washer pump on a SE Fiesta Model ? It is not located in the battery or passenger fuse box locations ?
Haynes manual shows it in a central junction box as a F7 15 amp fuse. The diagram of that box does not look like either of the fuse boxes-pass or battery. So where is the fuse located? Better yet, where is the central junction box located? Does anybody out there know the answer to that question?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Do you have an owners manual? The fuse panel under the hood is not shared between the standard car and the ST. And my guess is the haynes manual doesnt include a diagram for the ST model cars.

The only junctions boxes I know of is for the the wiring to pass through into the cabin of the car.
( junction box could also be a secondary term for the fuse/relay panels)
And as far as i know there are no fuses hidden there.

Good chance it is the wiper multifunction switch, but could be a damaged wire leading to the washer pump (packrats...). Since the pump was replaced and was not the problem, check fuse 15 15A at the CJB (behind the glovebox, top right, near the BCM). If that is fine, good chance it is the switch unless you've had packrat or rabbit issues in the past. Check the old switch with the component test in the attached pictures - basically put your meter on pin 2 and 6, set to ohms, and actuate the washer button. If you get anything more than 3 ohms, it's a bad switch.

Attachments

OP
N
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for all that information. That's exactly what I needed. Information on how to test the stalk. No I have not any issues with the washer pump in the past. I changed all the Fuses, F6 F11 & F15. All were working fine. As for a separate fuse for the washer pump. I have no idea where it is located. the Haynes manual shows a picture of it in the central junction box and the fuse layout for both battery and passenger boxes are completely different. But it does show a fuse F7 15 amp for the windshield wiper washer switch. No body yet, has told me where the washer pump fuse is located if there is one.

OP
N
Thread Starter #20
One last question, wiring diagram for wiper/washers shows a reversing lamp relay. I did pull it out and ran a check on it- it is okay and working fine. Is there any other relay for the washer pump circuit that I should check or know about.