Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You've got a new FiST and $1500...

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
How much of this is DIY for a novice?
Most of it. If you have the tools, you can do it in your garage.

I'd take it to a shop for exhaust mods, because I don't have the stuff to do that. You won't see any performance gains, just more noise.

COBB AP V3
whoosh V1 intercooler
whoosh SSD symposer delete
whoosh hot side j-pipe
itg drop in filter
NGK 6510 pre-gapped

we can supply this set up for under $1000 which will support the majority of the power the stock turbo can make
use the rest of your $1500 for a custom tune after the mods are installed
also swap out the factory fill with some Amsoil 5W30 signature series and filter

let me know if you'd like a custom quote sent your way
What kind of HP would this ballpark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #46
@ron@whoosh
Any updated recommendations to this list if I'm looking for more power, less torque steer, and better noise?

COBB AP V3
whoosh V1 intercooler
whoosh SSD symposer delete
whoosh hot side j-pipe
itg drop in filter
NGK 6510 pre-gapped

we can supply this set up for under $1000 which will support the majority of the power the stock turbo can make
use the rest of your $1500 for a custom tune after the mods are installed
also swap out the factory fill with some Amsoil 5W30 signature series and filter

let me know if you'd like a custom quote sent your way

Fiestig

If I had to do everything over again with 1500 to start with,... My starting out list would be quite different and a bit shorter.

1. AWR 88a RMM
2. MFactory LSD

That would still leave a bit of cash left over after install as well I believe

Happiness and tingles just thinking about it... Or maybe that's from the burritos last night.. Any which way. :cool:

Fiestig

Before I bought my ST I took a ride in one that had a Quaife installed. With not many other mods, it just felt epic. Knowing that I still didn't do it first out of the box on my own ST. Still kick myself. But it is the only thing in my mental "gotta get" box now.

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #50
If I had to do everything over again with 1500 to start with,... My starting out list would be quite different and a bit shorter.

1. AWR 88a RMM
2. MFactory LSD

That would still leave a bit of cash left over after install as well I believe

Happiness and tingles just thinking about it... Or maybe that's from the burritos last night.. Any which way. :cool:

I like your thinking. There's not much point in loading up new software, etc, if the car can't effectively put power to pavement. I'm thinking LSD, RMM, and a new exhaust (because I need some noise!) Thanks.

Fiestig

I like your thinking. There's not much point in loading up new software, etc, if the car can't effectively put power to pavement.
That is absolutely correct. Just make sure that if you do go that way and have someone install it for you, get a few quotes for it. From my experience of preperation, the costs and quality of the work will have quite a large range.

Brianmc27

In my opinion - unless youā€™re tracking the car - spending ~$200 on Motor Mounts and bracing is more pragmatic than spending 1500 on a diff.

Brianmc27

Noted. Even with Pierce 6 pt and a RMM the wheels spin in 1st & 2nd...
Iā€™m on E30 with a pierce 2 pt, motor mount inserts and RMM - I hardly have wheel spin. Granted I have 215 summer tires on 8ā€ wheels.

What tires?

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #55
Iā€™m on E30 with a pierce 2 pt, motor mount inserts and RMM - I hardly have wheel spin. Granted I have 215 summer tires on 8ā€ wheels.

What tires?
Factory Potenzas. I know they're crap. What wheel/tire setup are you running? I'd love to go bigger/stickier.

wetwea33

Factory Potenzas. I know they're crap. What wheel/tire setup are you running? I'd love to go bigger/stickier.
The factory potenzas are honestly very solid tires that have a great stiff sidewall and good lateral grip. They don't have amazing straight line grip but I don't know why people trash them. They are 100% better overall tires then the evolutions posted above.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brianmc27

The factory potenzas are honestly very solid tires that have a great stiff sidewall and good lateral grip. They don't have amazing straight line grip but I don't know why people trash them. They are 100% better overall tires then the evolutions posted above.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Christ guy, my Evoluzions are just fine. Excellent cheap summer tire.

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #59
Just a friendly conversation, guys. Not starting a brand war. The Potenzas are a fine tire, and I did run a version of them on my R32, I think, but the cheaper summer tires from Riken and Kumho also reviewed well - and sometimes better - than their pricier counterparts on TireRack.

Fiestig

I have evolutions st-1's on 16x7 slipstreams, RMM and Motor Mount Inserts as well. Granted they are 205s so about .5" less width. They spin..... and spin.... and spin..etc... One of my downsides is my climate though. The tires have a hard time heating up on street in constant 60deg weather. They were cheap, but I don't think I will ever buy another set.

To each his/her own though. There are many factors that go into tire performance, especially in different geographical areas.

I would like to state though that I do not dislike the stocker potenzas minus the lack of comfy sidewall. They are definitely not a crap tire by any means.

The ride I had in the quaife car on the street justified it for me enough to skew my opinion towards that recommendation.