Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

You've got a new FiST and $1500...

Brianmc27

Granted, I went from crappy General A/S tires that came with the car to the Evoluzions, so maybe I’m just happy with the relative increase in grip.

I plan on getting the new Falkens when these go out.

Dang it, you guys continuing to talk about how much you like LSDs is going to cost me money. I’ve never gotten to try one on a FWD car. Would love to see the difference it makes.

wetwea33

Christ guy, my Evoluzions are just fine. Excellent cheap summer tire.
I wasn't bashing the evos, they aren't bad tires for the price. The potenzas aren't the best for power but lateral grips is good and I love how stiff the sidewall is, they have great turn in. I had rs-rrs after them and am on r888r and miss thr turn in feel.
Just a friendly conversation, guys. Not starting a brand war. The Potenzas are a fine tire, and I did run a version of them on my R32, I think, but the cheaper summer tires from Riken and Kumho also reviewed well - and sometimes better - than their pricier counterparts on TireRack.
Tire rack user reviews tend not to be the best. Rikens from my experience arent good tires and neither are kumos. For cheap summers for this car I would look at the 200tw federals like the rs-pros or rs-rr. If you want to spend a bit more look at the Falken rt660s or the derezzas. The pilot super sports are the best of both worlds in terms of tred life and grip.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lighter wheels and better (or worse :devilish:) tires ~ $1100
Side mount inserts ~ $80 (underrated must have imo unless you really care about autox classing or something)
Short shifter and aluminum bushings ~ $110 altogether
Steering bushings ~ $50 from Alex the Machinist ( + $60 in beer/pizza for help getting them in yikes)
Some combination of synthetic gear oil / airfilter / brake pads with anything leftover

Woods247

2000 Post Club
In my opinion - unless you’re tracking the car - spending ~$200 on Motor Mounts and bracing is more pragmatic than spending 1500 on a diff.
Budget was listed at $1500 if I read the title correctly. LSD, RMM and front brace can be done for that. If you can’t blow off your tires on E30 in 1st and 2nd easily, something is wrong. Even with a diff I could do that on stock turbo 93 with RSRs, 500s and RT615K+. Street cars definitely benefit from LSDs as well. Do you have a LSD or have you driven a Fiesta with one? Sorry if you answered that above. I didn’t read the entire thread.

Brianmc27

Budget was listed at $1500 if I read the title correctly. LSD, RMM and front brace can be done for that. If you can’t blow off your tires on E30 in 1st and 2nd easily, something is wrong. Even with a diff I could do that on stock turbo 93 with RSRs, 500s and RT615K+. Street cars definitely benefit from LSDs as well. Do you have a LSD or have you driven a Fiesta with one? Sorry if you answered that above. I didn’t read the entire thread.
My 8th Gen Si had an LSD, just not enough torque to make a difference haha - don’t get me wrong - I think they’re a worthy upgrade, but just for giggles on a DD it’s not how I’d spend my first ~$1200.

I guess I do get wheel spin in 1st and 2nd - but I generally don’t mash it until I’m in 3rd.

Because I genuinely love the stock performance so much (still do 16 months later), I would get some Swift lowering springs and literally dump the other 1200+ into speakers & amps.

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #70
My last 2 cars were an 03 VW GLI sedan and an 08 VW R32. Both V6, both great power to weight ratios, the R32 was AWD. The ST is a great little car. I'm just missing the grunt, exhaust note, and ability to drive in a straight line from a stop light. I have no plans to track / rally the car, but I do (of course) love speed and twisty roads. The ST makes excellent stock power for the weight of the car, and I'd like to get as much of that to the pavement as possible before I go tuning the ECU.

With all that's been said, it seems like I should go with a front brace and RMM before I have someone crack her open to change the diff.

My very first mod if I had it to do all over again would be an aftermarket radiator...Whoosh or Mountune. It would have saved me a lot of grief! The OEM radiator is just plain insufficient for North America IMO.