Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Test drove a new 2017 FiST yesterday

OP
Wjones14
Thread Starter #21
If you go to the Ford site and configure an ST, it would appear the only color you can't get with Orange interior inserts is Platinum White (now that's odd; you can even get the Spice with Orange, which would be God-awful in my opinion)

I see a lot of BMW's with red interiors and continually wonder why anyone would buy that color!!! To each his own, I guess!

I also don't know how you could compare an ST's interior quality to a that in a Beemer that costs twice as much. (The leather in my Rolls is much softer and more luxurious that the leather in my ST!!??)
Oh good to know about the molten orange Recaros being available on all the colors except White Platinum - I tried and it didn't work, and when I searched dealer inventory through the Ford website, I never saw any in-stock cars with the orange seats at all. I happened to see a used Shadow Black car advertised in MA with the orange seats and that was sweet.

Yeah, white cars with red interiors have been around since the '50s, so it's not only on BMWs. You see them a lot because people like them. Mustang has the Showstopper Red interior, and I would choose it if I bought one in Oxford White, no doubt about it. Maybe not for you, but to each his own like you said.

I wasn't comparing the FiST interior to a BMW. You're absolutely right, that would be unfair. I was just showing the picture so folks could see what I like and where I'm coming from.

The FiST interior is not really a deal breaker for me. The car overall is an amazing value, especially performance-wise - it actually can't be touched for the price. When I make a list of my pros and cons, interior quality and looks do come into play. I guess I should have said that I WAS blown away by the exterior looks, value, and performance, but was not blown away by the interior. That would have sounded less negative. [8D]

I traded in a 2010 Cooper S on my 2015 FiST. Yes, I miss the MINI interior, but in my opinion the Recaros make up for that. I really liked the MINI, and it was perfectly reliable during my ownership, but worries about what might happen later gave me the new car bug. Plus, the FiST had two more doors, more interior room, a spare tire, better infotainment, and comparable performance. An unexpected bonus was that the new FiST cost less to ensure than the five-year-old MINI. I miss the Cooper, but I haven't looked back. ;-)

FB

Hello Mr. Jones,

I owned a 2005 MCS and absolutely loved it. When my daughter arrived I just couldn't make things work out so I replaced it with a Mazda Speed3. I liked everything about the MCS, except the ride which I found really harsh. It felt great at the racetrack, but pushed a lot, and needed a LSD badly. Hmmmm, that sounds exactly like my 2017 FiST! I do believe the ride, balance, and body control of the FiST are a bit better than the MCS, but it's not night and day. I'm currently installing the Quaiffe diff and Bilstien B14 on my FiST, because, uhm, well, I just couldn't help it. On the track I find the braked based diff irritating, but on the street it's fine.

The FiST is super fun, but the mini somehow had it beat on the road. The rock-hard suspension, ultra-quick steering and supercharged engine combined for a very entertaining ride. On the track, the FiST's better balance turns the table, I'll take the FiST over the MCS.

Value is a tougher call. The mini is quite a bit more expensive, but they hold their value really well. But, the FiST is considerably more practical.

In the end it's a great problem to face, and I'm quite sure you'll be happy whichever way you go. I made my choice and don't regret it one bit.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Personally, I could give two s**ts about steering wheel infotainment controls, as I don't use them anyway.

I'd rather just have, right from the factory, a full alcantara covered wheel rim, with a thick, oval shaped cross section, anatomical grip. [driving]
In other words, a Sparco 383 with an exploding whoopee cushion in it (so I don't have to listen to everybody screaming about how DEATH IS INEVITABLE without one, in an 'incident' [wink]).
If I’m being honest the reason I liked the controls was that the wheel had *triggers* which paired with a little imagination made traffic a little more fun.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well, if you don't like my wife's Mini interior, you would probably hate the interior in my BMW as well (pictured).

I have to point out that the replacement for my Mini doesn't have to be a track star. Yes, I want a fun car that's nimble and easy to drive. But I don't drive anywhere near a car's limit on public roads. I live within 2 hours of 3 nice race tracks: Lime Rock Park, Thompson Speedway, and Palmer Motorsports Park. I have also made the trip to Watkins Glen 3 times. I take my BMW to HPDE track days at least once a year, and I get that need for speed out of my system that way. Even though the FiST is quite capable on a track, I probably wouldn't use it for that purpose - though I would be curious what kind of lap times I could get out of it. [cool]
Actually your BMW interior is better looking than the Mini interior. When I comment on the Mini interior I am not commenting on colors per se but dash and gauge layout . The giant circle for controls in the middle that strange shift knob etc.. Don't take stuff so personally. I don't like something you like it that's all.
No one is saying get the FiST to be a track star. It is quite capable though. It's just a fun car all around and an incredible value for the money.
Hell I own a 97 M3 Boston Green/Modena 4/5 slicktop. It's not like I don't have a fun car or track warrior already. It does not keep from absolutely loving the FiST.

DaveG99

All new interiors look decent to me. Even the "plain" fiesta interior is just fine IMO. It functions properly and that's what is important. I really enjoy the android auto features the car has. The screen is easy to see and it works well. The gauges look OK and serve their purpose. The color changing lights on the inside are a nice touch that most cars don't have. I honestly don't know what Ford could improve on. I guess they could throw in some nicer materials (leather/suede) but that's just being nit picky to me. I like the idea of having a minimalistic sports car which the fiesta definitely is.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
All new interiors look decent to me. Even the "plain" fiesta interior is just fine IMO. It functions properly and that's what is important. I really enjoy the android auto features the car has. The screen is easy to see and it works well. The gauges look OK and serve their purpose. The color changing lights on the inside are a nice touch that most cars don't have. I honestly don't know what Ford could improve on. I guess they could throw in some nicer materials (leather/suede) but that's just being nit picky to me. I like the idea of having a minimalistic sports car which the fiesta definitely is.
I get you - I kinda like spartan interiors - they're free from distraction.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Wow touchy. The crowd here is not as friendly as I thought. Too bad. I was just passing through to get some opinions. Sorry if I offended anyone. [???:)]
Friendly? You do not go to a Fiesta ST owner site to complain the ST is not a BMW(!) or Mini......if we wanted the problems of those cars(some have been there, done that) we would not have bought the ST. You just "drop in" to see who you could piss off? That is easy here, bitching about a car you seem to know little about will do it. You bring up CR and show your ignorance of the ratings. Does not apply to the ST. Not to mention the hideous interiors of the cars you admire, thankfully Ford did not go that route or I would not be driving it. Not everybody wants or needs the flash. And what real driver test drives an ST with all season tires on wet roads? Really? Go back to the BMW/MINI fan club with your attitude, please. We enjoy our cars for both what they are and what they are not. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one, you will never appreciate it for what it is and always want it to be something else. Buy another Mini, the dealer here can't give them away. Oh, sorry if I offended anyone[dictate]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The happiest FiST owners fell in love at the first drive. Not just an “I really like this car, but I’m gonna check out another” kind of love. It’s a “no point in cross-shopping anymore, because I’m going buy this car and bury it with me” kind of love.

It’s a polarizing car and I haven’t seen many people successfully warm up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The happiest FiST owners fell in love at the first drive. Not just an “I really like this car, but I’m gonna check out another” kind of love. It’s a “no point in cross-shopping anymore, because I’m going buy this car and bury it with me” kind of love.

It’s a polarizing car and I haven’t seen many people successfully warm up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly what happened to me on my first test drive which was actually a whim after test driving a FoST. I was immediately taken and pretty much felt I had to have one of these cars.

Wait so you already have an m235i and you're looking for an affordable yet capable car to put around town in? What are your thoughts about the new civic, chevy cruise, or Hyundai ionic etc? Or perhaps the fiestas big brother focus st. They may better suit your interior styling wants. Most people on here including myself didn't choose this car based on its interior.

If you're still on the fence then here's some humble advice. Compare the fiestas interior relative to that of your first car. If you're not impressed then it's probably not for you

This is exactly what happened to me on my first test drive which was actually a whim after test driving a FoST. I was immediately taken and pretty much felt I had to have one of these cars.
My experience exactly. The driving experience of the FiST vs FoST vs the competitive set outweighed the sum of the little trade-offs you get with the car. However I will make a concession that the sync 3 system in my mind alone made up for most of the interior styling and creature comforts that you can argue the fiesta gives up.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Friendly? You do not go to a Fiesta ST owner site to complain the ST is not a BMW(!) or Mini.....
I don't think the OP was here to antagonize or belittle anyone.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I started looking at the FiST to replace my 2003 Mini Cooper. It has 106,000 miles. As background, the Mini is my daily driver or beater. I also have a 2015 M235i that I drive during nice weather and the occasional HPDE track day, and the BMW is stored under a cover from Dec through Mar. Most days I drive the Mini. I like that the Mini has the unique looks and personality, the super sharp steering, good fuel economy, and it's tiny size makes it easy to drive and makes it feel like it's going a lot faster than it is. It's fun. But it has given me a lot of problems in the past couple years, and doesn't seem to be letting up in that department.
Having own a MINI Cooper S before, I can tell you the Fiesta ST is going to be much more reliable car. Rear camera should be available in the '18 model year.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^[twothumb][cheers][driving]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Not as much bolstering as your M235i?!

Thats saying alot. The ST Recaros are quite tight for most peoples standards.

The interior is not too bad. For what its worth(literally) you cannot really complain. I'll quote what a favorite car reviewer of mine once said, "If you don't option the Recaros, the interior gets bland pretty quickly."

OP
Wjones14
Thread Starter #40
THIS!!! [twothumb]

I did NOT purchase this car as an affirmation or display of my wealth and success. [nono]
(VERY much the opposite actually.)
OMG, I am getting absolutely hammered for giving my opinion here... [thumbdown]

I think I said this before, but I guess I need to repeat it. About 80% of the time, I am driving in a 2003 Mini. That's a 15 year old car. If that's what you call an affirmation of my wealth and success, so be it.

I have to say, I regularly participate in numerous car enthusiast forums, and have for over 10 years:

BMW 2 Addicts
Camaro 6 gen
Mustang 6 gen
Mustang Source
Mini North American Motoring
Focus RS org

This forum is quite different than the others in that [some] folks here don't welcome opposing viewpoints, or what they perceive as opposing viewpoints. I don't know how many ways I can say this - I LIKED THE FIESTA ST. And yet, I'm getting beat up for criticizing its interior.