Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone want guess on what a future big time fist issue will be?

The smell I am getting shouldn't be exhaust. Well it could be?

I have the cobb catback.
is it supposed to smell like something is burning?

Possibly just hot turbo smell, you'll get some of that if you're really pushing boost/high rpms for a while and the exhaust side metal gets good and hot. Just make sure to do a little cooldown driving or let it idle for a few minutes before turning the car off when you stop.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #84
Slather some JB weld on it with a putty knife.
I put about 10 layers on it to
Try and daily drive the car ( my lexus doesn't have AC ).
But it seeped around the JB. But with the size of the crack, I'm not surprised, lol.

antarctica24

Well knock on wood, 161K and still no problems. What is the build date on your car? It is very likely that even if built in same year, not all of the parts came from the same place or the same run. What is your vin number? Maybe we can track this down to the build date so we can help others. It definitely looks like a heat related issue, but not because the material could not take it, but because of poor manufacturing when the head was poured during the casting process or it could be stress related from the machining process or when they bolted it to the block and too much torque was used. The guys that do this use a tool that is programmed to apply a certain amount of torque when they are bolting the head down. It could have been off.

Well knock on wood, 161K and still no problems. What is the build date on your car? It is very likely that even if built in same year, not all of the parts came from the same place or the same run. What is your vin number? Maybe we can track this down to the build date so we can help others. It definitely looks like a heat related issue, but not because the material could not take it, but because of poor manufacturing when the head was poured during the casting process or it could be stress related from the machining process or when they bolted it to the block and too much torque was used. The guys that do this use a tool that is programmed to apply a certain amount of torque when they are bolting the head down. It could have been off.
Holy crap, you have 161,000 miles on your car? That's amazing.

antarctica24

Maybe they use kilometers down in Antarctica

Sent from my XT1575
Ummmmm no. These are real miles. I drive about 6000 miles per month. I currently live in Raleigh NC. Did you think I just hopped over to a local ford dealership at mcmerdo bought a fiesta st and drove it across the frozen tundra? Did you see the build pictures? I'm in a yard with grass.

antarctica24

Holy crap, you have 161,000 miles on your car? That's amazing.
Yes I have a real and now 163,???k on the car. While I am finishing my doctorate I took a job doing accident photography which really didn't require any level of thought or time like the IT stuff did. I was at Wachovia doing enterprise network support and I was on call 24/7 and the papers I have to write for these classes are crazy like 5500-7500 words twice a week. So I still needed income and lucked upon this photography job. I literally drive around and take pictures of people's cars, intersections, boats, personal property, and personal injury stuff. I cover about 100 miles around Raleigh and drive about 6k a month. I have had a couple of mounts that were over 7500 but that's rare and normally when I'm covering someone else territory in addition to my own.

I finally did have something break. The weather stripping that goes up and down beside the passenger side windshield blew off the car sometime after I upgraded to stage 1. I replaced it Friday after I noticed it.

My thoughts on why I havnt had any problems might stem from a couple of things.
1. When I first bought the car I properly broke it in by not dogging the car letting the rings seal.
2. I used normal oil for the first 3 oil changes before going to synthetic allowing the thicker oil to properly collect the new metal shavings before going to a synthetic.we use a magnet at the drain pan to help collect that stuff.
3. The car does not sit. I may not drive it every Saturday and every Sunday but more than likely it will be driven at least on of those days. And during the week it never sees less than 200 miles a day.
4. Oil changes happen every 2000-2500 miles and is synthetic.
5. Transmission fluid is changed every 35,000
6. At 100,000 I did the coolant, tranny, plugs

I think that's it. Oh yeah during the first 100,000 the air filter got swapped twice. I figured it really didn't matter because I was swapping the oil so frequently and it really was never that dirty.

And the miles are a 50/50 split between highway and city.

Yes I have a real and now 163,???k on the car. While I am finishing my doctorate I took a job doing accident photography which really didn't require any level of thought or time like the IT stuff did. I was at Wachovia doing enterprise network support and I was on call 24/7 and the papers I have to write for these classes are crazy like 5500-7500 words twice a week. So I still needed income and lucked upon this photography job. I literally drive around and take pictures of people's cars, intersections, boats, personal property, and personal injury stuff. I cover about 100 miles around Raleigh and drive about 6k a month. I have had a couple of mounts that were over 7500 but that's rare and normally when I'm covering someone else territory in addition to my own.

I finally did have something break. The weather stripping that goes up and down beside the passenger side windshield blew off the car sometime after I upgraded to stage 1. I replaced it Friday after I noticed it.

1. When I first bought the car I properly broke it in by not dogging the car letting the rings seal.
2. I used normal oil for the first 3 oil changes before going to synthetic allowing the thicker oil to properly collect the new metal shavings before going to a synthetic.we use a magnet at the drain pan to help collect that stuff.
3. The car does not sit. I may not drive it every Saturday and every Sunday but more than likely it will be driven at least on of those days. And during the week it never sees less than 200 miles a day.

I think that's it. Oh yeah during the first 100,000 the air filter got swapped twice. I figured it really didn't matter because I was swapping the oil so frequently and it really was never that dirty.

Thanks for the info on what you've done to your car. I'll have to look up the build thread you mentioned. Good luck with your doctorate degree.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I'd love to know your overall average fuel economy/mpg over the course of your ownership.

antarctica24

I'd love to know your overall average fuel economy/mpg over the course of your ownership.
Well if I can't speak on anything else I can speak on that. Up until about 4 months ago I have not used anything but 87 oct. and I have used every brand we have out here in North Carolina. Sheetz, Exxon, shell, mobile, bp, Valero, marathon, speedway and some that are not even chains it depends on where I am when I run out. From day every time I fill it up and drive off when I stop to idle the tach does this weird hunt and seek thing. I have only had it cut off on me once. Everyone seems to have an answer for this but none have been right so far. Up until I did the stage 1 ots Cobb tune I was getting 30.2 no matter how I drove it. After stage 1 it went up to 30.5. Then I installed the down pipe and wen to stage 3 ots tune and it seems to hanging around 28.2.

Today is a new chapter. I'm going to pump straight 3-15 into the tank and see what it does for day. I'll be driving at least 250 miles today and according to the odometer this morning it is 163,043 miles.

antarctica24

Of course not. I was joking. Really surprised people are taking my comment seriously.
Honestly I was lmao we're doing this via rexting and Internet had been sitting in front of each other we would all have been rolling when you said it. The other guy I'm certain took you seriously because it's hard to fathom someone driving 6000 miles a month. I do it and still don't believe it.

The focus in my build thread that was totaled I bought that in March of 2012 and when it was totaled on 10/31/2013 it had 115,000 on it.

antarctica24

Just out of curiosity, do you have an oil catch can installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I currently do not, my thought was if ford didn't do it it must not need it. However with the installation of the x-37 forthcoming I may install one just for safe measure.

I currently do not, my thought was if ford didn't do it it must not need it. However with the installation of the x-37 forthcoming I may install one just for safe measure.
Gives me even more peace of mind. I have one, but it's more of a pain then anything. I'd rather not have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #100

Had a good friend send me this...
This is from a recalled escape 1.6L
Its just a catch bucket incase the cylinder head cracks, lmao...