Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone experimented with gear sizes or a different transmission?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think you are going to find nothing else fits that would be acceptable for all the ratios even if you can find something.

Of course with serious research, tearing apart whatever Ford makes for similar cars, one might get lucky, I would start with that premise what do they make what are the ratios, not likely to find aftermarket support on a relatively low volume low cost car.

I went down this road years ago and the best I could come up with was modified stock 5 speeds into 5 or 6 speed LSD equipped, race spec transaxles with a minimum order of 10 and 6 months waiting time, $60k deposit.
Sequential, I hope for that much coin as a deposit?!? [dunno]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It would of been a dog box or semi dog box, straight or slightly angled gears, dog box is pretty hard core for the the street but clutchless shifting, I do not recall if the semi dog box was clutchless or not.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It would of been a dog box or semi dog box, straight or slightly angled gears, dog box is pretty hard core for the the street but clutchless shifting, I do not recall if the semi dog box was clutchless or not.
Still H pattern, or sequential??

And yes, not many would be able to put up with the;

clanging and banging into 1st (and less so the other gears when moving)

The cost/down time of upkeep/wear

the deafening gear whine (SCREAM!!) of the straight cut gears, of these gearboxes for street use.

Then again, there are some who would WELCOME all of the above, just to be able to drive one of these gearboxes. [driving]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Every transimission I have seen or looked into that was called a dog box was an H pattern but I never ended up with one or looked into a shifter design that might make it up and down throws so effectively sequential, etc....

I was going to put a 4 speed dog box in the 2300lb, 600hp forged LS, button flywheel/clutch, 3-way floor pedals......95 M3 nuts car I was building, I had not got to the trans yet, had the rest of the parts and nearly done with the cage when I decided to fully retire and it was just to much car for the lower budget.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are a few on frrax.com and even LS1tech with a similar gonzo track rat project cars to the one you were building, but YES, they CAN BE endless/bottomless money pits! :(

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My 235/40-17's have me going 86mph at indicated 79mph.
I bet a 205/50-R17 would give you the rpm target you want. Bad news? Lower rpm means the engine will "lug" and the load will go up and.... Boost be required to maintain that speed.

Aka... It could actually hurt mpg. Not that WILL. But it COULD. It's not like a 8.4L lugging at 1250rpm. It's 99ci engine pulling a 2800lbs object.

You would prob do better to pay a tuner ( dyn085 is actually the man for that ) to do an ultra Eco tune for you. Lower the car. More narrow tires. Light skin skid plate under the engine.

Gearing is.... About the last option I'd look into.

Puma speed and soon ford will be selling more "acceleration" geared....gears. But maybe you could steal a fusion ring and pinion from the B5 or B6. But looking at TONS of money to save almost nothing.

Best mod ? Trade the car in on a 1.0L ecoboost...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk