Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2nd Gear Frozen in Time

So, I was doing a little *ahem* spirited driving today and noticed a glitch. I was redlined in 1st, shifted hard into second, stomped on the gas, the tires chirped, and then......nothing. The car seemed to freeze. I was stuck at right around 3k rpm, the pedal was to the floor, and nothing was happening. I had to push the clutch in and let it out again and it was back to normal. Anybody ever witness this or have any idea what might've caused this? I have a feeling it have something to do with the traction control or torque limiter or something.

I have not experienced this in my fiesta. Sounds like the ecu, Trans c/u went into some sort of a limp/protection mode. I know it's not exactly relevant but the German cars I work with will limit revs if fluid Temps get to hot or the tcm/dme don't get the proper inputs and outputs via can bus. That's alot of systems working together ecu, tcm, abs, esc, who knows what else. Anyone of them has a "glitch" you could definitely end up in a limp mode. Your probably on the right track about the torque limiter coming in to play.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #3
The weird thing is the gauges all read fine, and this is the first time this has happened. I let my buddy drive it the other day and he redlined gears 1-4 and nothing. Same when I test drove it. When I popped the clutch again, it went right back to normal.

I had something similar happen when I got my car too hot, the ecu electronically limits the throttle

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #7
If it was somehow being limited, then I assume simply kicking the clutch wouldn't resolve it.

It could be a mechanical reset ...actuating the clutch switch might reset the parameters...you could possibly have have a failing coil pack/plug ... I've seen it before under heavy load the vehicle will go into limp mode but with a change of gear(depressing the clutch) you can drive on normally and no engine light. Like I said alot of things can factor into something like this. I'd start with a good code reader.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #9
Luckily I have the warranty. I'll see if Ford to can plug it in for me.