Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone Figure Out the Glue Used on The Rocker Mouldings

Fusion Works

Anyone figure out what the glue is that Ford used underneath the foam double sided tape to hold the upper portions of the rocker moulding/panel to the fender and quarter panel? I have all new clips and can get the foam tape, but would like to add the two lines of glue Ford used as well.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It is not glue but double-sided 3M trim tape.

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #3
Mine has foam tape at the top but below that there is a line of a hard adhesive. The rockers do no appear to have ever been replaced. I owned the car since 2019 with 18K miles.
IMG_2999.JPEG IMG_3001.JPEG

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe it is a 3M OEM 2 part adhesive like this;

1691291980060.png

Or their 8115 version, except that one dries black, and the adhesive residue strip on my rocker panel from the side skirts was that clear/amber/gold color when I removed them. [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have many broken clips on my rocker panel extension and even the very strongest of those 3M tapes do not hold it to the rocker sill.

With fully functional, in place clips it is probably enough to hold the non-clipped sections close to the body.

The factory does use some form of 3M adhesive though, along with the clips and double-sided tape.

Dialcaliper

For what it’s worth, the grey foam tape looks like 3M VHB, which is *not* the same as double sided foam tape. VHB is foamed adhesive all the way through, and is much stronger than double sided foam tape which is a foam core with two thin layers of adhesive on it. It’s meant for fairly permanent mounting of stuff like car windshields, skyscraper windows, trim bits and tons of other stuff.

Is the grey adhesive below it still soft/tacky or is it fairly hardened? If it’s hard, it looks a lot like a 2-part epoxy or urethane to me. Something like 3M 2216 or JB Plastic Weld. If it’s still soft and tacky, it could be a butyl rubber adhesive which is pretty common in automotive. But scrape at it and make sure the grey color is through and not just dirt/dust on the surface of the glue

Last edited:
OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #8
Yeah I have a roll of the 3M weather resistant foam tape in my cart at McMaster. Was also looking at the 3M urethane adhesive as mentioned above. Think I am gonna get the adhesive and foam. I am debating putting some foam along the rocker sill in the door. There is a ton of nasty brake dust build up under the edge of the rocker sill.

The adhesive is hard. I actually had to chip it off in a few places. I will take a better picture today of the adhesive strip. Its stuck to the rocker and some stuck to the body.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In my case, if there was still someone doing any rally prep to these cars here (somewhat) locally, I would totally remove those rocker sill extensions, and put that kevlar layup material there to protect the rockers.

But then I'd also want to put those tubular jacking points through the rocker panels like most serious rally machines have, and then it never ends. [:(]

Yes, when I say 'double-sided tape' I DO mean the OEM quality/strength, big $$$, 3M top tier VHB foam stuff. [wink]

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #10
Here are some pics of what the "glue" looks like on the car and rocker.
IMG_3002.JPEG IMG_3003.JPEG IMG_3004.JPEG IMG_3007.JPEG IMG_3008.JPEG
Looks like Ford put a primer on the plastic panel before applying the glue. Its also not flexible at all, almost like a harder epoxy..
IMG_3009.JPEG IMG_3010.JPEG

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Here are some pics of what the "glue" looks like on the car and rocker.
View attachment 57244 View attachment 57245 View attachment 57246 View attachment 57247 View attachment 57248
Looks like Ford put a primer on the plastic panel before applying the glue. Its also not flexible at all, almost like a harder epoxy..
View attachment 57249 View attachment 57250
No answer for you unfortunately as I’ve been trying to figure out the same but confirming my car looks the same with foam + 2 lines of what I assumed was some form of epoxy

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That does look like old, dried up 3M 8115 two part epoxy adhesive.

Has that sill extension ever been off the car before this, or repaired by a previous owner/Ford under warranty/etc. that you know of (are you the original owner?)??

My epoxy residue might be that amber color because the extension was already replaced once under warranty, and the dealer body shop may have used a non-factory epoxy adhesive. [wink]

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #13
I bought the car at 18k miles with no indication of any major repairs. Since the other aide looks similar I would guess the rockers have never been separated from the body. I noticed on the passenger side the epoxy has let loose on the rear portion.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Mine had very low miles on it when I bought it. I found out the previous owner tried using hot glue to close the gap. 😂 I removed them, cleaned everything and used automotive 3M double sided bonding tape. Can’t remember which model.. It worked great for years until my car dropped off my trailer and popped them off again.

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #15

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Must’ve been Lord Fuser on mine and not hot glue. Lord Fuser sucks.

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #18
Oh that is different than what I found in my manual.
Thank You.

I will need to check on the primer for the 3m products before I do this.

This is pretty much what the Mustang Ranch version of the service manuals covers for installation.
1691531626037.jpeg
1691531648928.jpeg