Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Axle back?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
All you've got to do is look under the car to answer that question. Granted there are slip-ons, but this isn't a BMW. What I'm saying is no.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
It would be easy to have a muffler shop with the proper tools make one up for you though . just have to cut the factory pipe and slip it on as the cat back is all one piece..

kevinatfms

Ford Racing/Borla makes the axle back kit. M-5230-FAB will fit the Fiesta ST and is just the rear section of the Borla/Ford Racing kit.

link from Steeda's website: http://www.steedafiesta.com/ford-racing-fiesta-exhaust-161-m-5230-fab/

You can get it cheaper from a few other Ford Racing certified dealers. I will be buying mine from White Bear Lake Ford. They can get it for $396 + $32 shipping.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6

kevinatfms

Its nice to have the axle back option if you don't need the 3" full exhaust. The factory exhaust is plenty high flow so this just adds a little noise to the mix.

A little more cash? $379 more + shipping isn't just "a little more." That's almost twice the price. Unless you pay the Steeda price, which would be ridiculous.

A little more cash? $379 more + shipping isn't just "a little more." That's almost twice the price. Unless you pay the Steeda price, which would be ridiculous.
I think paying that for a glorified noise maker is just dumb anyways, leave it stock then

I think paying that for a glorified noise maker is just dumb anyways, leave it stock then

Quoted for truth. I went with FSwerks' cat-back and Cobb's downpipe and it sounds only the slightest bit louder than stock.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I am wondering how well the FRPP/Borla axle back will work with the ST since the axle back was designed to work with the non-ST rear bumper. The tips dip below the bumper cover since there isn't an opening for them to exit like there is on the ST. I don't think there is a ST and non-ST specific axle back exhaust from FRPP/Borla.

FRPP/Borla
2011 Ford Fiesta For Sale with Borla Exhaust, 3dCarbon Body Kit by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

Stock ST
Fiesta ST Hofma Park June 2013 093 by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

kevinatfms

LOL. Rather pay $396 and make the same power as all the other people who spend $600+ on a full noise maker. The catback isnt the restriction in the system.

MOFiST

Is the stock exhaust 409 stainless? How well does it cope with the salty roads? Is it really worth shelling out fairly large upgrading the stock system if it only lasts say 5 years? My thoughts would be don't spend a penny on it.

kevinatfms

Is the stock exhaust 409 stainless? How well does it cope with the salty roads? Is it really worth shelling out fairly large upgrading the stock system if it only lasts say 5 years? My thoughts would be don't spend a penny on it.
409 is corrosion resistant while 304 is more corrosion resistant. the stock exhaust is built to last 10/150k from last i heard when i worked for them. after that you would see decomp in the adjoining pipe sections/mufflers.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You could just have the resonator cut out, it would be the lowest cost by far and might do all you want.

If not that then just a louder muffler swap, I would not waste the money on a new pipe over the axle as you will not gain anything from doing so.

You could just have the resonator cut out, it would be the lowest cost by far and might do all you want.

If not that then just a louder muffler swap, I would not waste the money on a new pipe over the axle as you will not gain anything from doing so.
seconded

MOFiST

So it is 409? I can't find info on it. It might be OK if it sounds like the Borla CBE. It's a lot but then so is the Borla.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
The Ford Racing cat back/axle back is the Borla. All that is different is the tips either say Borla or Ford Racing.

The factory exhaust looks horrible after a single winter, but it is all surface corrosion and it will take a long time for it to be an actual problem. A little steel wool would clear up most of the corrosion. After having a winter with the Borla and a winter with the stock exhaust, I can say the Borla one looked far better in terms of surface corrosion. The muffler, tips, and piping looks really good on the Borla. Is that enough to warrant spending the money? Not for me. I got an amazing deal on the Borla for my 2011, and if I had a similar deal that good for my ST, I would consider it. Removing the stock resonator on the ST seems like a great cost option, knowing the cat back versus stock isn't that big of a performance gain. I would like better looking exhaust tips, but the current offerings of cat backs/axle backs with tips that I like are more than I want to spend for something with an overall minimal gain. Looking at the price of the FRPP/Borla axle back, I would rather spend a little more and get the FSWerks complete cat-back. I can't imagine the axle back with stock resonator is going to be that much different than stock. Once you add up the cost of the axle back, installation, and removing the resonator, you are at the point where the FSWerks is a better option. It is really tough to justify the cost of throwing out a really decent performing exhaust for just sound and tip design. Even harder to justify the axle back option since it is still expensive and retains the stock resonator.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Just checked this morning and ford racing now has the mountune high flow for the st. Part 2364-cbe-ab just for a couple hundrend more than the axle back.