Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Axle Trouble?

About 2 weeks about I found a bunch on grease which had be spun up from my rear passenger tire.

A few days later I noticed a clicking/tapping sound when I take left hand turns. The noise isn't present until I either take a hard turn or firmly press the brakes.

My friend diagnosed it as a blown axle seal. Especially when I said the grease was from the rear wheel. He also pointed out how the axle felt and sounded clunky. He said the cause is when someone puts too much grease into the axle, then when you drive hard, it blows the seal. I was also told that I have another 5k on it until it blows.

Has anyone else had this issue? Was it covered by the warranty? Of course I am going to drop it off at Ford and see what they say. But if they want to charge me, I am taking it somewhere else.

I do remember reading someone having to pay for their CV axle. Is this is same as the CV boot? I used to blow those all the time with the roads I live on.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
If its on the read of the car, you should be safe getting it warrantied. I had to replace my own CV axle last December. But that's a bit of a different story. The rear doesn't do anything.... It brakes a little, but that's about it,'lol. Wheel bearing grease?

rexdriver85

I haven't had this car apart yet, but I would assume the rear hubs are sealed units? I've never seen axle grease leak from a sealed hub unit yet.

I was doing a pull awhile ago, and hit a dip, and I was lowered, and I broke my axle, and my motor mount. I went to stock, and turned it in, and they covered it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I was doing a pull awhile ago, and hit a dip, and I was lowered, and I broke my axle, and my motor mount. I went to stock, and turned it in, and they covered it.
I always feel like it's a bad idea to publish these things.

...Of course I am going to drop it off at Ford and see what they say. But if they want to charge me, I am taking it somewhere else...
Were you able to make it to your dealer since your post, Hwy9FiST? I'll be happy to check out some options; what's your mileage?

Meagan

OP
Hwy9FiST
Thread Starter #8
Were you able to make it to your dealer since your post, Hwy9FiST? I'll be happy to check out some options; what's your mileage?

Meagan
Yeah. I just picked it up today. The technician wasn't there, but my axle and drive shaft weren't grease properly. Now they are. Feels great.

Unfortunately I have a problem with my brakes. Apparently it's been a common problem since the parts are on backorder.

Yeah. I just picked it up today. The technician wasn't there, but my axle and drive shaft weren't grease properly. Now they are. Feels great.

Unfortunately I have a problem with my brakes. Apparently it's been a common problem since the parts are on backorder.
Happy to hear things were taken care of! What's up with your brakes?

Meagan

OP
Hwy9FiST
Thread Starter #10
Happy to hear things were taken care of! What's up with your brakes?

Meagan
My brakes squeak, even when I am not using them. When I do use them, there is a little bit of grinding. All the noises come and go. I believe it is the brake pads. Nothing too serious, seeing as they released the car to me.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
My brakes squeak, even when I am not using them. When I do use them, there is a little bit of grinding. All the noises come and go. I believe it is the brake pads. Nothing too serious, seeing as they released the car to me.
Your symptoms are the same as what i addressed on my suv this past weekend. Basically the pads were stuck on the slides never releasing. Light pressure made the squeal go away. All that was required was to clean the slides with brake cleaner, sand/file off the grime and gunk on the brakes pad tabs that sit in the groves, and a little antiseize and problem solved. Pads slide easily now in guides. Squeal and grinding gone.

me32

1000 Post Club
Some guys had issues with the slide pin not greased properly an causing noise.

OP
Hwy9FiST
Thread Starter #15
Yes it will. Which is why it should be looked at.
Well Fremont Ford gave me my car back... Must be something else. They wouldn't release my car if it was actually serious.

They will be looking at it again in 10 days..

me32

1000 Post Club
Well Fremont Ford gave me my car back... Must be something else. They wouldn't release my car if it was actually serious.

They will be looking at it again in 10 days..

What did they say it was?

OP
Hwy9FiST
Thread Starter #17
What did they say it was?
The service guy wasn't there when I picked up. I signed and approved the brake parts/service. I couldn't read the chicken scratch handwriting though.

My brakes haven't been too loud since I got it back. But Ive probably just jinxed myself.

me32

1000 Post Club
The service guy wasn't there when I picked up. I signed and approved the brake parts/service. I couldn't read the chicken scratch handwriting though.

My brakes haven't been too loud since I got it back. But Ive probably just jinxed myself.
Well if your bringing it back that means they probably had to order parts and the car was still driveable. So there not gonna provide a rental