Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Mod Under $200?

I love the brakes and suspension, and the stock power delivery is FUN.

Are there any worthwhile mods under $200?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I would skip the 'free intake mod' as it did nothing for me but reduce filter pressure and cause me to need to replace my lower box. It makes sense in theory, but I don't think anyone has logged an actual gain in practice.

For $200 I would invest in a RMM, shifter bushings, a professional polish/detail, or save it for an AP3.

me32

1000 Post Club
I would skip the 'free intake mod' as it did nothing for me but reduce filter pressure and cause me to need to replace my lower box. It makes sense in theory, but I don't think anyone has logged an actual gain in practice.

For $200 I would invest in a RMM, shifter bushings, a professional polish/detail, or save it for an AP3.
Depends which intake mod you do. The one that allows the ram air setup to get more air isnt a bad mod.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Depends which intake mod you do. The one that allows the ram air setup to get more air isnt a bad mod.
I can agree with that. It's free and hidden and I don't see where it could do anything worse than allow cooler air in-and cooler air is always better.

me32

1000 Post Club
I can agree with that. It's free and hidden and I don't see where it could do anything worse than allow cooler air in-and cooler air is always better.

So have you gotta any data on stock tune with CAI?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have begged and pleaded with everyone that either has or is buying an intake and it never comes to fruition. The closest that I've seen was ISO100's before/after dyno with his cp-e, which showed a gain, but he's a bit beyond stock. Outside of that, I can't recall any legitimate dyno or datalogging (again, beyond stock) that's been shown anywhere.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have begged and pleaded with everyone that either has or is buying an intake and it never comes to fruition. The closest that I've seen was ISO100's before/after dyno with his cp-e, which showed a gain, but he's a bit beyond stock. Outside of that, I can't recall any legitimate dyno or datalogging (again, beyond stock) that's been shown anywhere.
That sucks to hear. I have been waiting to see some data. As some of the cai do not seem to provide any gain. Mostly due to not being able to get rid of the heat. Being able to get more air into the stock air box along with a higher flowing filter seem to be able to provide thw same or even better performance than some of the kits on the market. The cpe kit seems to be one of the better performaning kits out along with mountune lower box kit

dyn085

2000 Post Club
That sucks to hear. I have been waiting to see some data. As some of the cai do not seem to provide any gain. Mostly due to not being able to get rid of the heat. Being able to get more air into the stock air box along with a higher flowing filter seem to be able to provide thw same or even better performance than some of the kits on the market. The cpe kit seems to be one of the better performaning kits out along with mountune lower box kit
When I datalogged the 'unlimited plenum' intake I saw nothing but reduced filter pressure. This gives me serious reservation about the possibility of seeing gains from the Mountune intake. I think the key is in changing the turbo inlet tubing, but without data that's just speculation.

me32

1000 Post Club
When I datalogged the 'unlimited plenum' intake I saw nothing but reduced filter pressure. This gives me serious reservation about the possibility of seeing gains from the Mountune intake. I think the key is in changing the turbo inlet tubing, but without data that's just speculation.
Wouldn't you get more filter pressure with a kit that forces in more air? What does the unlimited plenum look like?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Wouldn't you get more filter pressure with a kit that forces in more air? What does the unlimited plenum look like?
Unlimited plenum was the 'cut a hole in your box like Mountune did' mod.

I'm going to butcher this explanation, but I'll give it a shot.

Less filter pressure would read as a higher number. During low-load driving conditions, filter pressure is going to be the atmospheric pressure (because airflow is dictated by the throttle plate), which is 14.7 psi at sea level. As you rapidly increase load and/or move from negative into positive pressure with the turbo, you create a low-pressure area in the intake tract. The more air that gets forced into/through the engine combined with the rise of engine speed causes the pressure to continue to drop until you close the throttle plate-allowing the intake tract to equalize with atmospheric pressure.

My filter pressure with the OEM box was roughly 14 psi at 6500 rpm with an airflow mass of 20.8 lbs/min. With the hole I was seeing 14.07 psi at 6500 rpm with an airflow mass of 20.88 lbs/min. Estimates of airflow mass on a performance engine are roughly around 9-11 hp (-ish, there are a lot of variables in that) per lb/min, that would technically confirm a gain of .72-.88hp, roughly (mathematically). So even though it is technically a gain, it's not one that's very measurable, definitely not enough that would be 'felt', and most likely not going to be able to offset the cost of a new lower box.

Get the no pistons petal spacer for under 30 bucks. I can downshift now! Just did a 20 miles super tight mountain road and damn I was happy I bought the no pistons petal spacer. So far its more impressive the the stage 1 tune I put in the car 3 days ago although its been 100 degrees outside so power has been a little off.