Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Boost Turbo - Stock Motor & Fueling

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Over the years we have seen many posts concerning blown engines on this forum. Causes are usually holed pistons, cylinders splitting at the top in that crack between cylinders (a problem Ford has acknowledged and redesigned the 2022 Escape motor for), and the base of the cylinders separating from the crankcase. In almost all cases a larger turbo was in use. For this poster the only thing limiting his engine from approaching 400 WHP is the fuel system and that is not a good method for limiting the power, because it's only a small hiccup away from a lean combustion event. Just one tiny little bit of junk in the ejector can result in a piston with a gaping hole in it. It's one reason why he should have a Meth system in place because they can provide a bit of protection from a lean combustion event.

As for my advice about limiting engine speed, it's real simple. If you enjoy getting a new engine every 15 to 20K miles go ahead and rev the snot out if it. If you want an engine to last for 10 or 15 YEARS, then limit the engine speed to that put in place by Ford.

Seriously the OP now has two choices. One is to go to an engine with forged pistons, premium connecting rods, and a carefully inspected and balanced crankshaft so he can increase the capacity of the fuel system and take full advantage of that Big Turbo. Or step down to one of the hybrid turbos capable of producing 280-300 WHP with the stock fuel system in balance with the output. Personally I would go with the smaller turbo, once you break that 400 HP threshold it really gets expensive. By the time you strengthen the Fiesta to work well with 400+ HP you'll have spent enough to purchase a used Focus RS Rally car in operating condition.
I don’t disagree with anything you said there. Lots of folks are OK with running a big turbo well below its capabilities to keep it safe.

OP
2053.media
Thread Starter #22
I have to wonder how long it will be before the cast pistons in your stock motor let go. Yeah, that will happen. I suggest you get a Mountune long block to keep in your garage for when the stock motor blows up. BTW, the primary cause is the revs. Ford didn't design these engines with a lot of reserve strength and running past 6 grand is overstressing the pistons. In addition modern DI turbo motors are notorious for holing a piston quickly in a fuel starvation event. IMO when you are looking to really boost your power you need to start with a Mountune MRX long block, get a larger radiator, install a Meth system, and increase the fuel capacity to match the hihger fuel requirements of the new engine.
I totally get this, I've been thinking building a spare motor just in case but currently my car doesn't see above 6k that often. It's really just the daily for now until I can get my hands on some better parts or another motor (or another car lmao)

OP
2053.media
Thread Starter #23
Over the years we have seen many posts concerning blown engines on this forum. Causes are usually holed pistons, cylinders splitting at the top in that crack between cylinders (a problem Ford has acknowledged and redesigned the 2022 Escape motor for), and the base of the cylinders separating from the crankcase. In almost all cases a larger turbo was in use. For this poster the only thing limiting his engine from approaching 400 WHP is the fuel system and that is not a good method for limiting the power, because it's only a small hiccup away from a lean combustion event. Just one tiny little bit of junk in the ejector can result in a piston with a gaping hole in it. It's one reason why he should have a Meth system in place because they can provide a bit of protection from a lean combustion event.

As for my advice about limiting engine speed, it's real simple. If you enjoy getting a new engine every 15 to 20K miles go ahead and rev the snot out if it. If you want an engine to last for 10 or 15 YEARS, then limit the engine speed to that put in place by Ford.

Seriously the OP now has two choices. One is to go to an engine with forged pistons, premium connecting rods, and a carefully inspected and balanced crankshaft so he can increase the capacity of the fuel system and take full advantage of that Big Turbo. Or step down to one of the hybrid turbos capable of producing 280-300 WHP with the stock fuel system in balance with the output. Personally I would go with the smaller turbo, once you break that 400 HP threshold it really gets expensive. By the time you strengthen the Fiesta to work well with 400+ HP you'll have spent enough to purchase a used Focus RS Rally car in operating condition.
The end goal is to purchase some sort of aux fuel system/fueling upgrades once I have either (A) A spare motor built and ready to go or (B) Have a beater and enough money to build a motor. Even then, I'm not beating the fiesta too hard as is and I'd put money on it lasting for a long while. That doesn't mean that I'm not expecting something to happen, I have 70K on the ODO right now and I wouldn't be surprised if something just lets go out of the blue, it happens. But, I'm not too worried about the "high rpms." I do understand that 7,000-7,100 is well past the factory limiter but the car doesn't see those numbers often. During pulls I'll usually get close but never past 7K unless I seriously can't get traction lol. Also, since it's the daily driver I don't mind having the big turbo for a few reasons. 1. I went from about 23mpg to 25-28mpg combined. This is due to the insane boost lag and also due to the fact that just going to school or work the car never sees over 4K rpm or 10psi. It was interesting to get used to but it works in my favor since I can just downshift if I want to pass someone or if I just wanna go fast. 2. In my personal taste, I like cars that just keep pulling. This turbo kit really hit the nail on the head since I get power literally up to redline. But as I said, that is just what I enjoy. 3. The power and potential power is great. Obviously the turbo is huge, this means that it'll hold up to a built motor, aux fuel, and other goodies when the time comes. But for the stock fuel system it does a pretty damn good job.

My current plan is to get an aux fuel system and push the motor to 400WHP. I know that the turbo is capable and I'd really just like to have the power on tap. I understand that issues will pop up and most things probably wont go my way but that's fine.

The end goal is to purchase some sort of aux fuel system/fueling upgrades once I have either (A) A spare motor built and ready to go or (B) Have a beater and enough money to build a motor. Even then, I'm not beating the fiesta too hard as is and I'd put money on it lasting for a long while. That doesn't mean that I'm not expecting something to happen, I have 70K on the ODO right now and I wouldn't be surprised if something just lets go out of the blue, it happens. But, I'm not too worried about the "high rpms." I do understand that 7,000-7,100 is well past the factory limiter but the car doesn't see those numbers often. During pulls I'll usually get close but never past 7K unless I seriously can't get traction lol. Also, since it's the daily driver I don't mind having the big turbo for a few reasons. 1. I went from about 23mpg to 25-28mpg combined. This is due to the insane boost lag and also due to the fact that just going to school or work the car never sees over 4K rpm or 10psi. It was interesting to get used to but it works in my favor since I can just downshift if I want to pass someone or if I just wanna go fast. 2. In my personal taste, I like cars that just keep pulling. This turbo kit really hit the nail on the head since I get power literally up to redline. But as I said, that is just what I enjoy. 3. The power and potential power is great. Obviously the turbo is huge, this means that it'll hold up to a built motor, aux fuel, and other goodies when the time comes. But for the stock fuel system it does a pretty damn good job.

My current plan is to get an aux fuel system and push the motor to 400WHP. I know that the turbo is capable and I'd really just like to have the power on tap. I understand that issues will pop up and most things probably wont go my way but that's fine.
How’s that intake sounding with the big turbo