Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can't decide on tire/wheel combo. HELP!

So a colleague's mother sold her Fusion, and gave me a set of Cooper winter tires, lightly used. They are 205/60r16. Now, I initially planned on buying a cheap set of 16" winter wheels (steel or whatever is cheap at tirerack), but now I have been tossing around the idea of buying some TD 1.2's in 16" and using them during the winter, followed by buying a nice set of summer performance tires for them in the spring. I figured the 16" wheel with a slightly bigger tire would give me a nicer ride around Detroit, as Michigan roads must be the worst in the states. I could then find some cheap steelies for the following winter. So my question to all of you experts, is do I get some cheap wheels and use the free winter tires, then buy lightweight wheels in 17" for spring later, or do I buy some nice lightweight 16's and use for the winter AND then wrap in a nice rubber come spring? I am not rich, so I will not be having numerous sets. Maybe it's best to buy cheap 16's for now, then try to sell the stock Rado's, and put that money toward a lightweight 16 or 17 for auto-x(i want to start doing it next year). Heck, I even am tempted to gamble and buy some lightweight 17's now, use stock rubber until snow comes, and then just get some ebay steelies to mount the winters on. I guess I just don't know if using a more meaty tire on my daily driver would be better than staying on 17's. I hate wheel gap, and don't want to buy coilovers just yet. Thanks for everyones ideas!

OP
mscuil
Thread Starter #3
well if that is the case, you made my choice very easy. I honestly had not fitted them but thought I had read about others running the same size. Maybe not. Can anyone verify? Thanks rooSTer

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
So would a 225/45R17 Dunlop Drezza ZII Star spec on OZ Ultraleggera 17 x 7 (ET42) fit or rub on a stock height FiST. What about on BC coilovers?

OP
mscuil
Thread Starter #7
So i guess the question now, is do I buy new 17's and run the stock rubber until they wear, or buy new 16's and new thicker rubber for the remainder of fall and next year? I'll just be getting some craigslist wheels or steelies for dedicated winter tires.