Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COOLERWORX Pro Short Shifter Installation Tips & Tricks + Linkage Redesign Discussion

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #63
Here is where I am at:
View attachment 27376

QTY 2/ McMaster 9512K73 5/16"-18 ball stud (https://www.mcmaster.com/9512k73)
QTY 2/ Grainger 35JA78 sealed bearings (https://www.grainger.com/product/BL-Radial-Ball-Bearing-35JA78?searchBar=true&searchQuery=35ja78)

Edit: If someone can find a ball stud with a 10mm ball and even larger threaded shaft (than 5/16") please let me know.
Just a quick update regarding the custom linkage. Just sent the drawing out to be quoted. Going to have it made out of carbon steel and I plan to rattle can it satin black to get a close-ish match to anodized aluminum CW uses.

The bearings I listed on Grainger in the quoted text are the exact one's that CW uses and the tolerances seem pretty good. All of them came out to 20.95mm which means getting the interference fit right should be simple.

The ball studs linked are also going to work. I may need to file the top of the ball like CW does to get it to fit in the socket in the CW linkage. The threads also need to be cut down 6mm for the one ball stud (same thing CW does). The new ball studs are beefy! Should give me piece of mind that this will never happen again :)

Last edited:
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #64
Should have everything ready to install early next week.

Last edited:
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #66
I wish I knew the linkage dimensions, I could just make one myself
I can send you the engineering drawings for the updated one I designed if you are seriously interested (look at my earlier posts).

Last edited:

DangerMouse

COOLERWORX is releasing a detailed write up outlining the ideal set up to prevent the linkage issue
I'll post it everywhere possible the moment I have it. Should be early next week based on my conversation early this AM

Any updates on this? I've been postponing the install but I would like to get in this weekend. Thanks.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #70
Any updates on this? I've been postponing the install but I would like to get in this weekend. Thanks.
Still working on painting the upgraded linkage. I ran out of time this weekend and now I’m swamped for the next three weeks. Likely won’t have it installed until end of this month now.

I am confident it will work just as intended given the fact that the pertinent dimensions are identical. What are you most interested in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DangerMouse

Still working on painting the upgraded linkage. I ran out of time this weekend and now I’m swamped for the next three weeks. Likely won’t have it installed until end of this month now.

I am confident it will work just as intended given the fact that the pertinent dimensions are identical. What are you most interested in?

My question was for Ron at whoosh wondering about coolerworx response to the proper linkage adjustment.

I am interested in what you are doing as well. Not that I could duplicate it if needed. But props to you sir, looking forward to seeing you complete it.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
My question was for Ron at whoosh wondering about coolerworx response to the proper linkage adjustment.

I am interested in what you are doing as well. Not that I could duplicate it if needed. But props to you sir, looking forward to seeing you complete it.
I have spare parts in stock now including full levers as pictured
When I have some more info I'll post it up in the product description on the site and in my section where we introduced this product to the USA

I have spare parts in stock now including full levers as pictured
When I have some more info I'll post it up in the product description on the site and in my section where we introduced this product to the USA
How much for a spare knob if we wanted a different color option?

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #75
Coolerworx hasn’t gotten back to me yet on the supposed “adjustment guide”..

Has anyone had any issues yet? Seems like this was a one time thing since mine hasn’t broken again yet.

Finally got some time to do a shitty rattle can paint job and get this assembled. Hopefully going to install on Saturday before my rally’s sunday:

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I thought I replied last night but I must've forgotten to hit post. Anyway, mine has been fine. I have a few hundred city/traffic miles on it too.

Mine has been totally fine. I don't drive a lot (5000 miles in 18 months) but I can tell you I shift a ton because I just drive down back streets to work. I struggle more with the clutch in this car than anything.