Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Race Intercooler w/ stock turbo?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm planning to A/C in CSP, so *no* turbo upgrades, but I can do an intercooler upgrade. I know that that fastest stock turbo FiST runs a DHM race intercooler, but is there that much more to be gained over a factory fit intercooler? 10 ft/lbs meets squat on an A/C run and I can put the difference in price between a Depo factory fit (which seems every bit as good as any other factory fit) and a DHM race intercooler to other improvements that will have a larger impact on my time - like tires, tires, and more tires.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Do you ever plan on going big turbo? I would just buy the race cooler if you have the money. I bought 2 other kinds before settling on the DHM race intercooler. It's the best intercooler on the market for these cars. I have a hybrid turbo and my charge air temps almost never exceed 3-5 degrees above ambient

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Do you ever plan on going big turbo? I would just buy the race cooler if you have the money. I bought 2 other kinds before settling on the DHM race intercooler. It's the best intercooler on the market for these cars. I have a hybrid turbo and my charge air temps almost never exceed 3-5 degrees above ambient
That's the thing - going with a big turbo would put me into a class with full race cars and I'm not going to gut a brand new car. I think that I can be competitive in a stock-turbo class, esp. with bolt-ons. I've no question that the DHM Race intercooler is much better than a factory fit intercooler, I just don't know if I could ever make full use of it with a stock turbo. It's not really a money issue, but there are better ways to spend ($900 [DHM Race]- $330 [Depot]), especially if the DHM Race is just going to give me 10 wtq over a good factory fit on a stock turbo.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That's the thing - going with a big turbo would put me into a class with full race cars and I'm not going to gut a brand new car. I think that I can be competitive in a stock-turbo class, esp. with bolt-ons. I've no question that the DHM Race intercooler is much better than a factory fit intercooler, I just don't know if I could ever make full use of it with a stock turbo. It's not really a money issue, but there are better ways to spend ($900 [DHM Race]- $330 [Depot]), especially if the DHM Race is just going to give me 10 wtq over a good factory fit on a stock turbo.
You seem to have your mind made up. Go for the Depot.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
You seem to have your mind made up. Go for the Depot.
Hardly - 10 wtq was a BS number - if someone can tell me that they found 30 wtq on a stock turbo with the DHM over a factory fit then I've got a decision. If it really is 10 wtq then Depo it is.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hardly - 10 wtq was a BS number - if someone can tell me that they found 30 wtq on a stock turbo with the DHM over a factory fit then I've got a decision. If it really is 10 wtq then Depot it is.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...and-Intercooler!?p=73566&viewfull=1#post73566

That link there is stock turbo data on the DHM Race cooler. I recall seeing dynos with a stock turbo on it, but I'm not sure where they are.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I run the depo IC and even on 95* days my charge temps are usually around 4* over IATs when in motion. I've seen them even dip way below on some days. Even if the DHM is adding 10wtq, that's not worth close to $600 more than the depo. There's much better ways to spend that money.

TempeST

its not the cruising speed you care about with the intercooler, its the increase in Charge temp over the time of a pull and constant beating on the car that you want. and the DHM is the best for that from everything I have seen. I have it, went from the Jline to it. and I will probably never change it unless to another DHM intercooler. Not to mention, the DHM cooler with crash bar will be lighter than any of the other stock setups you will find.

But to be 100% truthful, if you aren't changing the turbo, you are going to be limited by the turbo so it doesn't matter what intercooler you get. Once the stock turbo hits its limits, its spews molten lava. to me the best cooling capacity would benefit the most. if only doing one pull when you are looking for whp and wtq then any will work. but over a few pulls of constant abuse and high RPMS the DHM race cooler will win.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
I'm not sure "pull" is how'd I describe A/C. It's a launch, quick shift to second, usually a couple of blasts bouncing off the rev-limiter, and lots of off- and partial throttle with 1-2 second squirts between. A long-ish stage is 1:30 with long pauses between runs.

I'm gathering the the stock intercooler is the weak point but that the turbo isn't far behind. Any intercooler will quickly show the weakness of the stock turbo, and I'm stuck with the stock turbo unless I want to fight dragons.

Thanks for the help, guys.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Also, the OP makes it sound like the sole purpose of his car is to autocross in a stock class. If all you want your car for is to autocross and you're going to limit yourself to that class, then buy the depot. I bought a Cobb, and it has been fine for daily use, however, I'll be tracking be car and I live in Florida where the summer temps cause me to see 100 degree + charge temps on a normal basis. The DHM race intercooler will be in my near future. Wish I would've done it the first time around, but Russ was still tweaking the design and there was a bit of a wait. Anyhow. If you ever think you may upgrade the turbo or engage in any other type of racing that will see prolonged WOT, then I recommend you go with the DHM intercooler.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd have to agree with you guys. I won't likely track my car. My purpose is just spirited street driving and the Depo fits that role perfectly.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #12
Also, the OP makes it sound like the sole purpose of his car is to autocross in a stock class.
Hardly stock - 1 step down from full modified. SCCA classes street cars as Stock (+ -1 wheels, tires, shocks, 1 anti-sway bar), Street Touring (+ wheels, brakes, LSD, suspension, braces, free up to the turbo inlet, any exhaust with cat), Prepared (+ intercooler, boost, big wheels and racey tires), Modified (just about anything else). Can't touch the turbo until Modified.

TempeST

I know what auto cross is, I race in Autocross. and from my understanding to stay in the stock class you cant upgrade your intercooler. but my main point was that you need an intercooler that can handle the constant abuse of the run. but I agree with Hijinx. you seem set on the depot so go for it.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Hardly stock - 1 step down from full modified. SCCA classes street cars as Stock (+ -1 wheels, tires, shocks, 1 anti-sway bar), Street Touring (+ wheels, brakes, LSD, suspension, braces, free up to the turbo inlet, any exhaust with cat), Prepared (+ intercooler, boost, big wheels and racey tires), Modified (just about anything else). Can't touch the turbo until Modified.
I don't know anything about autocross classes, but you miss my point if all you took out of the post was "autocross in a stock class".

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
Ok, let's try it this way: Has anyone, first hand, upgraded from a factory fit to a DHM Race intercooler and has seen increased/decreased heat soak, differences in boost pressure, or increased intake temp drops on a stock turbo car? If so, can you share real numbers? If you tuned afterwards did you see bigger numbers with the new tune? Thanks in advance.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Ok, let's try it this way: Has anyone, first hand, upgraded from a factory fit to a DHM Race intercooler and has seen increased/decreased heat soak, differences in boost pressure, or increased intake temp drops on a stock turbo car? If so, can you share real numbers? If you tuned afterwards did you see bigger numbers with the new tune? Thanks in advance.
FrankieFiesta, I think this is in your wheelhouse.