Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do not use Shell?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I almost exclusively use shell 93 with my adam tune....im confused. I'm over 55k miles with my tune/turbo with no issues. I do change my spark plugs every 10K miles and oil change before 7500 miles. Drive it like i stole it every time.
Using copper plugs?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My MP-215 has always had lower fuel mileage than others running Shell. Most liked gas for my tune is 93 Octane non-ethanol. (Marathon) sold by Midnight Oil here. Better MPG and performance. I've seen over 39 MPG with it running 75 MPH highway with it.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I think people are trying to make universal judgments on gas. What does or does not work well for my tune may be wonderful with another car. I can't say Shell is bad gas, what I can say is a 2 mpg loss shows that Shell 93 does not burn efficiently in MY car. It works out to about 1/2 gallon penalty per tank to run it. So I don't. Best efficiency is 93 octane non-ethanol as is engine response to throttle input. Sold by Midnite Oil Company in Chattanooga, TN. Said to be a Marathon product the lines at the pumps are littered with high performance cars, many older restored cars. I can only get it at home only 2 mile away, not on the interstates. So my OTR gas is BP. What I don't buy is mystery gas at independent convenience stores who like any business owner will purchase the least cost products they can get, to most of their customers "gas is gas". I do not buy generic soft drinks or gas! I cannot recommend an all purpose gas for all of our cars. Ford tells you if you want the advertised HP on a stock ST run 93 octane. Mountune makes it plain and simple and says the same about the MP-215. If you pay someone for a tune you should probably follow their requirements. I know for a fact that when in the UP of Michigan all I could get one day was 87 Octane and every time I needed acceleration to pass on the zillion miles of 2 lane roads there my FiFi would hesitate and have very low power. I think I heard Fifi laughing at me once going up a hill trying to pass a semi! [wrenchin]

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The most likely reason you get lower mpg with Shell is that the distributor in your area is putting alcohol in the 93. Gasoline is not uniform across the country; even in the same city individual gas stations can have different gasoline in the same pump.

Sam4

My MP-215 has always had lower fuel mileage than others running Shell. Most liked gas for my tune is 93 Octane non-ethanol. (Marathon) sold by Midnight Oil here. Better MPG and performance. I've seen over 39 MPG with it running 75 MPH highway with it.
This!
Some above posters talking about a suburban Philly location. It'll take them 20 minutes to GET to a highway to gauge mpg. 75 comes in bursts on two lane backroads. Crackle and pop tunes??wtf, "howz the mileage in that car?" phuckin schuylkill expressway....yeah my fuel mileage sucks, but goddamn am i having fun

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The most likely reason you get lower mpg with Shell is that the distributor in your area is putting alcohol in the 93. Gasoline is not uniform across the country; even in the same city individual gas stations can have different gasoline in the same pump.
That would be the most unlikely scenario, I've done training for Exxon, Arco, Mobil and Union oil for the pipelines moving the gas and also training at the tank farms. The fuels are mixed before going into the pipelines to the tank farms and trucked to the stations. No national brand allows a distributor or station to modify their products.
I have over 40K of my 50K miles with my FiST Mountune on the highway. Will add about 6K more later this year. I have done 2k in past 3 weeks. Shell sucks in MY car no matter where I have bought it. In the past 2 years I have been to over 20 states and working on my 2nd time of driving all 48 contiguous states. I believe it is the additives and I doubt any Shell branded station sells diluted gas nor do they sell non Shell gas, LOL! Small companies may play the games you talk about but no national brand will allow tampering of their branded products. Some refineries will produce special mixes for small companies like Midnite Oil here gets my favorite 93 octane non-ethanol from Marathon. I don't know of any national brands that sell it normally. What my post said I will repeat, Shell does not do well in MY car and I don't buy generic gas. Average Mpg is displayed on my dash at all times and reset with fill-up when on the highway. Since one of the reasons for buying the FiST other than tearing up mountain roads was its economy for my wanderlust ways mpg is important to me. Every buck I save in gas goes to enjoying the journey. All my mpg comparisons were in those miles I use for testing and are in the Shell S.E. region. It amounts to over 8 round trips I take to Augusta, GA from Chatt.,TN each year. My route for observing mpg is repeatable and consistent.
BTW, my wifes Mustang GT Coyote has no adverse reactions to Shell, my sons 650 HP resto modded Trans-Am nor my daughters stock FiST seems to care either. So I am not a Shell hater, my car is. I have zero problems with filling the Mustang with Shell. Shell claims to be the #1 preferred gas in North America, I have no reason to doubt that as it seems to work well on other cars, but not mine. If it works for you buy it, but try to understand I have seen multiple times that it doesn't in my car and the reason I buy only top tier branded gas is I know the formulation has not been altered like an independents can do. As far as I know all national gas brands keep their additives proprietary mainly by patenting and copyrighting the blend like Shell's "V-Power NITRO+" or Chevron's' "Techron" so comparing to get an idea as to what is going on as to additives would be a lost cause.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
That would be the most unlikely scenario, I've done training for Exxon, Arco, Mobil and Union oil for the pipelines moving the gas and also training at the tank farms. The fuels are mixed before going into the pipelines to the tank farms and trucked to the stations. No national brand allows a distributor or station to modify their products.
I have over 40K of my 50K miles with my FiST Mountune on the highway. Will add about 6K more later this year. I have done 2k in past 3 weeks. Shell sucks in MY car no matter where I have bought it. In the past 2 years I have been to over 20 states and working on my 2nd time of driving all 48 contiguous states. I believe it is the additives and I doubt any Shell branded station sells diluted gas nor do they sell non Shell gas, LOL! Small companies may play the games you talk about but no national brand will allow tampering of their branded products. Some refineries will produce special mixes for small companies like Midnite Oil here gets my favorite 93 octane non-ethanol from Marathon. I don't know of any national brands that sell it normally. What my post said I will repeat, Shell does not do well in MY car and I don't buy generic gas. Average Mpg is displayed on my dash at all times and reset with fill-up when on the highway. Since one of the reasons for buying the FiST other than tearing up mountain roads was its economy for my wanderlust ways mpg is important to me. Every buck I save in gas goes to enjoying the journey. All my mpg comparisons were in those miles I use for testing and are in the Shell S.E. region. It amounts to over 8 round trips I take to Augusta, GA from Chatt.,TN each year. My route for observing mpg is repeatable and consistent.
BTW, my wifes Mustang GT Coyote has no adverse reactions to Shell, my sons 650 HP resto modded Trans-Am nor my daughters stock FiST seems to care either. So I am not a Shell hater, my car is. I have zero problems with filling the Mustang with Shell. Shell claims to be the #1 preferred gas in North America, I have no reason to doubt that as it seems to work well on other cars, but not mine. If it works for you buy it, but try to understand I have seen multiple times that it doesn't in my car and the reason I buy only top tier branded gas is I know the formulation has not been altered like an independents can do. As far as I know all national gas brands keep their additives proprietary mainly by patenting and copyrighting the blend like Shell's "V-Power NITRO+" or Chevron's' "Techron" so comparing to get an idea as to what is going on as to additives would be a lost cause.
Lot of talk there, but the fact is you can go to one Conoco station in our town that has no ethanol 93, and another that has up to 10% ethanol 93. Same with the Shell stations. The stations that have the no ethanol tout it because there are so many performance boats that can't use ethanol because it can damage seals.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
All the gas around me has the 10% sticker on their pumps, Circle K is BP, Speedway is Marathon, Sheetz sells the cheapest gas they can fine according to their web site. I live in Uniontown, Ohio which is the southern end of Summit County.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Lot of talk there, but the fact is you can go to one Conoco station in our town that has no ethanol 93, and another that has up to 10% ethanol 93. Same with the Shell stations. The stations that have the no ethanol tout it because there are so many performance boats that can't use ethanol because it can damage seals.
Not sure how the subject changed to Cocono selling non ethanol at a marina ...........Here most Conoco gas is at independent convenience stores but none within 75 miles of me in TN. Phillip 66 is the true gas stations of the company and very few of them left. None in my area. Gas pumps near marina's and stations close to race tracks frequently carry speciality fuels. You can get 110 octane nearby, racing only the sign says. All of this has zip to do with claims Shell stations may sell altered fuel, LOL. I would read this to get an idea of how refineries and stations are tested for the gas they sell if you are interested.
https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_fuelqualityBP_nov2011.pdf

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Not at marinas. They sell it at the gas stations on the highway. And it's true of the Shell stations as I said. The one closer to the large public boat ramps has no ethanol 93 and the one farther in town does not. I don't think the stations are altering the fuel. They just sell it. One has signs on the pumps saying no ethanol. The other does not. It's possible that neither has ethanol.

If there is indeed no ethanol in Shell premium gas, another possibility is that they are using other octane enhancers which have less energy than gasoline. And maybe the nitrogen enhancement they advertise reduces the energy content of the fuel. After all, if a person is truly getting reduced fuel economy from two fuels claiming to be no ethanol 93 octane fuels, there are three possibilities. One is that one of the fuels has lower octane so the car has to adjust for it, reducing fuel economy. The second is that one fuel contains additives which decrease the amount of energy in the fuel, like alcohols do. The third is that the person making the fuel economy claim is lying.

Not at marinas. They sell it at the gas stations on the highway. And it's true of the Shell stations as I said. The one closer to the large public boat ramps has no ethanol 93 and the one farther in town does not. I don't think the stations are altering the fuel. They just sell it. One has signs on the pumps saying no ethanol. The other does not. It's possible that neither has ethanol.

If there is indeed no ethanol in Shell premium gas, another possibility is that they are using other octane enhancers which have less energy than gasoline. And maybe the nitrogen enhancement they advertise reduces the energy content of the fuel. After all, if a person is truly getting reduced fuel economy from two fuels claiming to be no ethanol 93 octane fuels, there are three possibilities. One is that one of the fuels has lower octane so the car has to adjust for it, reducing fuel economy. The second is that one fuel contains additives which decrease the amount of energy in the fuel, like alcohols do. The third is that the person making the fuel economy claim is lying.
Here, in my part of Georgia, I've never seen a Shell station doing non-ethanol fuel of any octane. Stations with non-ethanol fuel have the branded fuel, like BP, and then secondary pumps for fuel without ethanol. None of those are Shell branded stations.

I don't personally pay attention to MPG performance with alternate fuel loads. I attribute MPG performance to my driving.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
According to what I read Shell makes all grades in non ethanol and with but do not share where they sell what. According to a gas locator only one Shell here in SE TN sells the non ethanol and it is 87 octane. I don't remember seeing any 93 non-ethanol on the one 4K mile long trip in the Mustang anywhere in that 9 state trip to the NE USA. But I seldom do see it. It would be difficult to test 2 different 93 nons here as we have only one.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Yup. The one in New Britain is fenced off under maintenance and coming back as Global.
Looked it up after reviewing this thread, Global is an American company with over 1500 convenience stores and sell BP along with many other brands of gas. Read somewhere BP was closing older locations (expensive to upgrade). Global also distributes many fuels for independant locations looking for cheap unbranded gas. Where I get my 93 non-alky gas they sell Marathon (top tier stuff) but do not display any brand sign. That allows them to buy gas on the spot market and shop prices. They always have the Marathon 93 no alky.

ScreenHunter_10209 Oct. 31 11.25.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^I just wish that they offered an E85 option in all of those brand possibilities.

At least I do not have to fear filling up there (since they sound like an 'off brand') in a pinch if low on fuel, since I am in Doylestown OFTEN. [wink]

I’ve always used shell and never had an issue, I did put in chevron a full times since it’s right next door to my job and my octane adj ratio fluctuated a few times, car also acted like it wanted to die a few times, happened twice. Could be just that one station.. I put 76 when I flash my e30 tune since the pump is right there