Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dyno numbers for Whoosh Hybrid Turbo with minimal mods on 91

If your friend really money shifted the car from 3rd to 2nd and you think the engine is down on power, you should do a compression test. That's a cheap way of telling if you've got internal issues.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #5
If your friend really money shifted the car from 3rd to 2nd and you think the engine is down on power, you should do a compression test. That's a cheap way of telling if you've got internal issues.
Good idea. I don't know how to run that test but I could probably take it to my mechanic and see what the numbers are. When I take it in for the coilovers I'll have them test it.

Also, the money shift was like 60,000 miles ago. Not sure it that makes a difference.

slopoke

With a turbo similar to the Whoosh, I made 254 whp and 272 torque and that's on 91 octane fuel. I don't know how your numbers compare to Dynojet numbers, but they should be fairly close. I tend to believe the "money shift" may have hurt your motor.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #8
I honestly dont know. It was one of the Dyno's where it get's bolted to the wheels.

I took the photo below while there.
IMG_9316.jpg

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #9
With a turbo similar to the Whoosh, I made 254 whp and 272 torque and that's on 91 octane fuel. I don't know how your numbers compare to Dynojet numbers, but they should be fairly close. I tend to believe the "money shift" may have hurt your motor.
What mods did you have? Yeah I have no idea why its so low. The accessport was saying 230 on the run so it was 15 shy of that. I just thought it would be higher somehow.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #11
Ahh I was looking at the diff types of dynos - https://themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2017/11/2/wheels-of-confusion-how-dyno-tuning-works

I wonder how these compares to rollers - said it was more accurate due to reduction of tire size variances.
Great article! Yes it certainly looks like it will read more accurately and consistently. Will not lose grip and get's the tires out of the equation. The downside was the setup time which is fine with me since i'm not setting it up. LoL I'll continue to go to this Dyno so we can get consistent numbers. I just ordered the Whoosh Short Ram Intake. It should be here by EOW so let's see if it makes any difference. Once it's installed I'll post an update after I Dyno the car with the intake.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #12
I picked up a compression tester last week and have some numbers.

I'm not sure if the 1st cylinder on the left when facing the engine bay is #1 or 4 but for all practical purposes I'll call that Cylinder 1

Cylinder 1: 175
Cylinder 2: 171
Cylinder 3: 171
Cylinder 4: 174

Not sure if the 2/3 cylinders having the same pressure and the ones on the outside having higher pressures means anything but those are the numbers.

If anyone knows what they should be please let me know.

I also included a couple photos of the spark plugs. I had them swapped @36,000 and right now I'm @78,000.

Attachments

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I picked up a compression tester last week and have some numbers.

I'm not sure if the 1st cylinder on the left when facing the engine bay is #1 or 4 but for all practical purposes I'll call that Cylinder 1

Cylinder 1: 175
Cylinder 2: 171
Cylinder 3: 171
Cylinder 4: 174

Not sure if the 2/3 cylinders having the same pressure and the ones on the outside having higher pressures means anything but those are the numbers.

If anyone knows what they should be please let me know.

I also included a couple photos of the spark plugs. I had them swapped @36,000 and right now I'm @78,000.
The compression test looks fine. everything is within 4-5lbs of each other. If it was larger differences there would be a reason for concern. Plus given the mileage on the engine those numbers are good IMO.
I also would say if that money shift you mentioned happened 60k back I would not worry lol. Money shifts that are bad usually kill engines pretty fast.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #14
The compression test looks fine. everything is within 4-5lbs of each other. If it was larger differences there would be a reason for concern. Plus given the mileage on the engine those numbers are good IMO.
I also would say if that money shift you mentioned happened 60k back I would not worry lol. Money shifts that are bad usually kill engines pretty fast.
ok great, thanks for the info. Hopefully upgrading the intake will help with some gains in HP/TQ.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
ok great, thanks for the info. Hopefully upgrading the intake will help with some gains in HP/TQ.
Well I can tel you I would not always take one shops dyno numbers as accurate. There is a lot that comes into play with dynoā€™s and indeed shops can make the numbers look better or worse by calibration of the dyno.
When I did my S280 initially it was dyno tuned by a local shop that did a lot of Subies and some Fords more Focus than FiST. They were the same place Matt Farahā€™s FiST with just a tune turned out 231 hp and 256 ft lbs torque or right around that.
My initial tune and dyno run with them came out to 215hp and 256 ft lbs of TQ . šŸ˜‚ This was right after they had by their own words correctly recalibrated their dyno which was a Mustang Dyno. Known for lower numbers than a Dynojet dyno. I was pretty shocked as the car definitely felt stronger than that. They dismissed the whole dyno chart thing away and said if I had had the car on a Dynojet it would about read about 50-60 HP more . Which actually put my Turbo right about where it should be for a 91 octane tune.

You are also at 1500 ft above sea level and someone like me is at sea level numbers will show lower at higher elevations IIRC

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #16
Well I can tel you I would not always take one shops dyno numbers as accurate. There is a lot that comes into play with dynoā€™s and indeed shops can make the numbers look better or worse by calibration of the dyno.
When I did my S280 initially it was dyno tuned by a local shop that did a lot of Subies and some Fords more Focus than FiST. They were the same place Matt Farahā€™s FiST with just a tune turned out 231 hp and 256 ft lbs torque or right around that.
My initial tune and dyno run with them came out to 215hp and 256 ft lbs of TQ . šŸ˜‚ This was right after they had by their own words correctly recalibrated their dyno which was a Mustang Dyno. Known for lower numbers than a Dynojet dyno. I was pretty shocked as the car definitely felt stronger than that. They dismissed the whole dyno chart thing away and said if I had had the car on a Dynojet it would about read about 50-60 HP more . Which actually put my Turbo right about where it should be for a 91 octane tune.

You are also at 1500 ft above sea level and someone like me is at sea level numbers will show lower at higher elevations IIRC
Good to know!

It def feels significantly quicker than stock for sure. For stock having 197HP stock 215 didn't seem like much. Especially for how much quicker the car is.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Good to know!

It def feels significantly quicker than stock for sure. For stock having 197HP stock 215 didn't seem like much. Especially for how much quicker the car is.
Cool you got it on a hub dyno. Mostly see those for huge HP.

Before and after delta on the same dyno is really all that matters. So long as it runs well and you like it, don't sweat the #s. Run it alongside someone with similar mods and a good tuner and Iā€™d bet youā€™re dead even, despite showing less power when comparing dyno charts.

Business6

Good to know!

Because, regardless of where you should be with a hybrid or any other mods, you're comparing crank HP to (almost) wheel HP.

Generally speaking, dynos can show how much drivetrain loss there is versus the manufacturer's power claim. Our car typically dynos around 180whp which Ford likely got as well and then slapped the 10% FWD drivetrain loss on to come up with 197hp though there are other considerations to make as well which has lead to less-than-honest reporting. So if something is saying you have 215whp it's indicating 30-40whp over stock even if you don't have an exact baseline with your own car.

For a moment I thought you were at high altitude where 215whp is a considerable boost over stock (trust me, it suuuucks) but yikes, something is certainly off.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #20
Ok so I finally got the Whoosh Short Ram fitted. (I was waiting on the EVAP conversion from Whoosh) Power def dropped a bit before 3K RPM but seems to have gotten more up top. That's based off the BUTT DYNO. But I just scheduled another DYNO run for next Saturday. Also tried to get the J Pipe but looks like they might be out of stock. Sent Ron an email and will see if I get an answer. Hopefully this will clarify the BUTT DYNO's accuracy. LoL

After that, the tubular manifold will get ordered. Then after that either brakes or HPFP and Injectors. Stay Tuned!