Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Electrical issues with OBD2 port wiring.

Okay, I’ve had some recent demons pop up in my 2014, it’s got 123,000 miles and started throwing the P1299 code. It’s not overheating, I replaced the sensor, and it’s still throwing the code. I was able to read the code with a wifi code reader but that has since stopped working, I had a shop try and pull/clear and they couldn’t get any communication with the ECU either. All that said, I’ve done a crap ton of research and believe my issue isn’t with the sensor but electrical system/OBD2 port in general causing grounding issues.

After reading a post somewhere about part of the recall on the coolant system adding a wire to the OBD2 port, I started investigating there and found this hot mess.

I need some advice on how to address this with the dealership to get it fixed. There are burnt/cracking wires on the harness likely from the modifications they did for the recall. Does anyone have a comparison picture of the same wires?

I’ve never used any aftermarket tunes or access ports (outside the wifi OBD2 reader briefly to read the codes), and it’s 100% stock.

Attachments

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There are burnt/cracking wires on the harness likely from the modifications they did for the recall.
If the car had the 17S09 recall done and you believe you are having electrical issues from that recall.
Don't mess with it, just take it to the dealer.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
If the car had the 17S09 recall done and you believe you are having electrical issues from that recall.
Don't mess with it, just take it to the dealer.
Thank you! Using that recall code I was able to find the documentation for the recall and pinpoint that it’s the exact work they did. Recall was done by previous owner in 2018 and probably about 40k miles ago. Not sure if it’s covered under the recall warranty, but it’s definitely all the splices and connections they did.

Now it’s time to argue with the service adviser at the dealership.

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
And local dealership declined to cover it since it was done at another dealership out of state…

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
And local dealership declined to cover it since it was done at another dealership out of state…
I would get the area Ford Warranty rep involved, since if it was done under the recall (and it's implied/stated warranty), it should be covered EVERYWHERE, by EVERY Ford dealer.
The warranty is from national FORD Corporate, NOT the individual dealer!

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
I would get the area Ford Warranty rep involved, since if it was done under the recall (and it's implied/stated warranty), it should be covered EVERYWHERE, by EVERY Ford dealer.
The warranty is from national FORD Corporate, NOT the individual dealer!
Any suggestions how to find that rep?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Reps are no longer on this site.
Just go to your local Ford dealer.
Is service gives you any hassle, then just ask to speak to a Ford Rep.
If you just ask to talk to their national Ford rep, they'll frequently shut up and do what you're asking because they don't want people calling about them.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Icing on the cake… first dealer I called can’t look at it until SEPTEMBER 22nd…. Second one had me leave a VM with the Service Adviser.

haste

1000 Post Club
I don't see anywhere in the 17S09 recall that the OBD2 port and/or associated wiring is modified.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If you want the complete PDF I can send it to you.
I would just need your email address.
As we can't post PDF here.

OP
B
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice and info. Since I’m at 123k miles and 3 years after the recall was done I didn’t feel like fighting Ford for a fix. (Plus local dealerships were assholes and had nearly a 2 month delay for service) I decided to fix the connector and wiring this morning. All seems well now. One of the pins in the stock connector broke and the wire had come out/loose. Got a 4 pin auto/marine quality connector from auto zone and spliced it in seemlessly.

Thanks again for the help!