Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

REVIEW: Active Shift Design Pedal Spacer

I received my Active Shift Design Pedal Spacer from Jurrian@Mod Bargains just yesterday. I installed it last night and I couldn't be happier. I put about 100 miles on the car today, and the heel-toe downshifts were almost too easy. Ok, lets back up.

Buying:
The process was simple. I asked Jurrian when they would be available and he informed me that I could probably have one shortly after SEMA. If you need anything for these cars, Modbargains has it. The buying process was uneventful, and painless. So in short, it was great. I paid $54.99 + Shipping

The Product:
The Fiesta ST's pedal layout is well... bad. The offset between the brake pedal and the gas pedal is vast. This little block of printed plastic solves that. It raises the accelerator pedal off the firewall by 1.5", using a 3d printed polymer which is quite strong and some steel stud extensions.

The Install:
Apart from the fiesta being about the size of a thimble, this install is super easy. All you need is a 13mm deep socket, and a 3" extension (not required but it helps). Install took about 30 mins. Simply remove the factory bolts, and thread on the stud extenders, then slide the spacer on top of it. After that, position the accelerator pedal back over top of the spacer. My recommendation is to thread the new bolts in a few threads by hand to get them started. Then just run them in the rest of the way with your ratchet handle and socket.

The Results:
A level playing field, or pedal set is all the Fiesta ST needed to be a real predator on corner entry. The clumsy pedal positions from the factory made heel-toe impossible, and trail braking difficult. Well, not anymore. This fixes all of that. I've been racing sportscars for over a decade, so heel-toe is not anything new to me, its almost second nature. Hopefully my experience in hitting all three pedals at the same time is enough to make what I am telling you credible.

Today I drove 100 miles with this. Highway, Back roads, and of course, stop and go traffic. It was comfortable, and effective. It does take a little getting used to.

So if you drive this car the way it was intended. You want this.

Get it here, to heel-toe tomorrow (okay, maybe not tomorrow but...)

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thanks for sharing the review.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey guys, I updated the listing and the blog post about the ASD Pedal Lift Kit spacers now that the final version of the Fiesta spacer is out, it looks a little different than the Focus ST version (and modified Focus one that's in my car) - here's some new pics to show it off a bit and a before/after of my pedals to kinda illustrate it

Everything you said in the review was exactly why I was so thrilled to get this into my car ASAP. my RH ankle thanks me for it and yes, it DOES alter your driving position/style slightly and will take some getting used to

http://www.modbargains.com/asd-accelerator-pedal-lift-spacer-ford-fiesta-st.htm

http://blog.modbargains.com/youre-driving-st-wrong-fixing-focus-st-fiesta-st-pedal-gap/

RMG

Hey Nick, this brings the pedal closer to the driver but does it bring the throttle pedal closer to the brake pedal (move pedal to the left at all)? If not, will they be doing an offset version to do this?

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #11
so I've spent three days with it and I love it, but I want to go into a few details. This product could be better.

I feel it could me .250" to .500" shorter. Also it could rake. I feel like as it sits the bottom of the pedal sticks out and if it. If the bottom were .250" to .500" closer to the firewall than the top I feel like the pedal would sit more naturally.

Dont take this the wrong way, this product is a major improvement for the spirited driver.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey Nick, this brings the pedal closer to the driver but does it bring the throttle pedal closer to the brake pedal (move pedal to the left at all)? If not, will they be doing an offset version to do this?
I don't think so, this works by simply retaining the OEM mounting configuration, just extended straight out. If you shifted it laterally it would be very hard to do a strong design. With the pedal moved forward it is WAYYYY easier to heel-toe

I like. Do they ship to the uk?
ModBargains sure can. Call for an intl shipping quote but given the size of the thing, I doubt it would be terribly costly.
Email jurrian@modbargains.com or call 714-582-3330 x8002

Cheers

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
so I've spent three days with it and I love it, but I want to go into a few details. This product could be better.

I feel it could me .250" to .500" shorter. Also it could rake. I feel like as it sits the bottom of the pedal sticks out and if it. If the bottom were .250" to .500" closer to the firewall than the top I feel like the pedal would sit more naturally.

Dont take this the wrong way, this product is a major improvement for the spirited driver.
thanks for the honest and thorough review....

This is why I'm on the fence in purchasing this particular pedal spacer myself ...After taking a closer look at the current stock accelerator pedal height I think 1.5" would be a bit too much for me...I'd also prefer a 1" block....different strokes I suppose...

Here's hoping "no-pistons" develops a shorter block for us ;)

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
well, the nice thing is - if you guys want a thinner one, that can easily be done as well. The golden age of 3d design!

Producing a thinner version that's 1" thick would just take a shorter coupler nut and the design would just have some thickness cut down; easily done if enough interest warrants :)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
^ Yes to this. Please make this happen. Seems to be the overall opinion it would be maybe better shorter.

I'm intrigued, for sure.

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #17
I'm going to run mine through a band saw and cut it at an angle, and cut the stud extenders down in a lathe. I'll report back when thats done.

This product is awesome, just needs a little tweaking to be a 10.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I of course will wait and try it out as in it's current form.
If necessary I was going to use my disk sander to take about 1/4 inch off the bottom.
I also have a lathe to take care of the bottom nut.
It is just that the OE peddle assembly is at such a steep angle.
Lifting the whole thing might just be a little too much.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great product.
It just may need some adjustment for some people.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
This is a great mod for those that need it and as seen, some want it tailored to their particular fitment.

That said, not all will need it, or some may put it on and actually hinder their driving ability by trying to use a method that is not right for everybody.

I considered making my own as I do many parts but I do not heel and toe when downshifting and I like to make it known as it is not the only way to be fast. Many championship drivers have not used this method, it is not the holy grail some think it is but it is great for those that do it right and it works for them.

Since so many think heel and toe is the only way that works it is not commonly reported otherwise.

I have been to racing school and spent considerable time working on it and it just does not jive with me. At the end of the school I was asked to come back for a big event and be a paid instructor so I must not be to bad with the method I use:)

That said, this mod may not be best for some, in my case I would get leg cramps if it was moved closer, the pedals are perfect for my style of driving and I am not slow, not a world class race driver but pretty good, two days going all out on track in a very modded FiST and the stock pedal positions were never an issue.

-------------

Great thread, great to have so many parts becoming available for our great cars, just wanted to ensure it is known to not always be a required method to go fast.

Sincerely,
Rick