Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TheStig

Any tips on adjusting an exhaust post-install? Jacking it back up tomorrow to fix the vibration of my Injen cat-back, it's literally sitting on top of the frame brace in the middle of the underside, I'm not quite sure how to adjust it as this is the first exhaust I've ever swapped out, I have the Cobb hangers and it's almost as if the flange where the cat-back connects to the downpipe is too long or at too much of an angle and is making it sit right on top of the frame brace. For what it's worth I installed both my Mountune downpipe and Injen exhaust last weekend. It doesn't look like there is any play at all with the downpipe as it's fairly well bolted down but I should be able to adjust the cat-back piping.

I imagine since it's been on for a few days and a couple hundred miles that it should be nice and settled now, should I just unbolt everything and try to push the middle pipe as far up (towards the top of the car) as I can before bolting everything again?

Ehh it's all good, while true they should not advertise it as a full 3" from tip to tip, a lot of other manufacturers do this too. Anyway, it sounds great!
Im really liking the way their exhaust sounds, leaning towards getting the race-tip version.

TheStig

Dual tip is still weird to me coming from mostly Hondas, granted my MS3 had dual tips but they were on both sides of the rear bumper and i disliked that. Single tip for the win!

Siestarider

Though I would share ... This started as a 3" Mbrp exhaust , then added a 3" thermal r&d muffler to the rear the annoying drone went away ... Then eventually got bored and did a muffler delete so just straight pipe only .... It was fun while it lasted but wayyyy to loud for abvious reason ... So went ahead and bought this 3" vibrant ultra quiet resonator which the quality is amazing and hear these results ... I'm defiantly happy with the outcome ... The cars sound really changed for the best ...

3" vibrant SS ultra quiet resonator straight pipe with mbrp dual tips

http://youtu.be/lm1McGcgQFE
Thanks for the info, and the clip! I have been mulling what to do with my MBRP, could not stand the drone at interstate speed so put stock exhaust back on. But also going Cyborg next major mod, so may need the flow. Did the Vibrant resonator replacement kill the drone? If so, that may be my next exhaust experiment.

You mentioned removing the MBRP resonator and adding a muffler, was that solution droneless but too quiet?

What do you think of running two vibrants, one in lieu of muffler? I am hunting performance but like to sneak around town. I really like the MBRP tips but they are so obvious I hate to draw more attention.

LT Berzerker

Wondering what the finished mapperformace & mishimoto exhausts will be like... Though cp-e has been on the mind

Thanks for the info, and the clip! I have been mulling what to do with my MBRP, could not stand the drone at interstate speed so put stock exhaust back on. But also going Cyborg next major mod, so may need the flow. Did the Vibrant resonator replacement kill the drone? If so, that may be my next exhaust experiment.

You mentioned removing the MBRP resonator and adding a muffler, was that solution droneless but too quiet?

What do you think of running two vibrants, one in lieu of muffler? I am hunting performance but like to sneak around town. I really like the MBRP tips but they are so obvious I hate to draw more attention.
Yes if you keep the mbrp resonator and add any 3" muffler to the rear of the car, that drone is eliminated. The car does quite down a lot ... With the vibrant resonator only the car doesn't drone on the freeway at all ... It's the perfect tone while still maintaining that aggressive sound

I fixed my vibrating exhaust problem by loosening the bolts between the cat-back to downpipe flange, pushing up on the cat-back then tightening the bolts back down. Now there is a 1/4" clearance between the top of the chassis brace and the bottom of the exhaust. Vibration is now gone it sounds SO much better, 'm much happier with this setup now.

I love my mbrp exhaust. It's not too loud to make the girlfriend upset or cops to notice me. Unless I'm on it then they do. But overall a good kit.
So I was considering the MBRP cat-back system as I like its sound the most. My car is otherwise stock. My only concern is drone, and looking at the above posts, maybe it's not the best option for me. I realize with most aftermarket exhausts, there's going to be drone, but I'd like a system with very little if possible. Suggestions?

TheStig

So I was considering the MBRP cat-back system as I like its sound the most. My car is otherwise stock. My only concern is drone, and looking at the above posts, maybe it's not the best option for me. I realize with most aftermarket exhausts, there's going to be drone, but I'd like a system with very little if possible. Suggestions?
IMO the BEST system on the market in terms of sound quality, build quality and support is the COBB exhaust. It costs more but they build it to last.

I love the sound of the MBRP but the drone scares me. Im leaning towards either COBB or Injen.

People can argue that the COBB exhaust is only 2.5" not 3" but for 99% of us this is perfectly fine and the sound is by far the best.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
IMO the BEST system on the market in terms of sound quality, build quality and support is the COBB exhaust. It costs more but they build it to last.

I love the sound of the MBRP but the drone scares me. Im leaning towards either COBB or Injen.

People can argue that the COBB exhaust is only 2.5" not 3" but for 99% of us this is perfectly fine and the sound is by far the best.
What this guy said. I love mine and can't wait to pair it with their catted downpipe pipe. Heard the sound gets even better.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club

I like the Cobb but I have a feeling it will be a bit louder than my 3" system with the catted downpipe since it does not utilize a resonator. Mine has a resonator and it's considerably louder since going Stage 3 than it was with the stock DP. It's loud, but smooth... more exotic car than UPS truck. There is absolutely no drone at any rpm at any speed. For the most part, I don't prefer alot of high frequency noises (especially from a 4 cylinder engine). I do like deceleration pops and gurgles which now I have plenty of, they are just lower frequency. As soon as I can get the wife to hold my camera for me, I'll take some video (idle, rev-up, drive away and drive by). [:D]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
What this guy said. I love mine and can't wait to pair it with their catted downpipe pipe. Heard the sound gets even better.
"Sound" is subjective. As I've gotten older my taste for exhaust "noise" has changed drastically. Back in the late 80's I was heavily into 5.0 Mustangs (namely LX notchbacks). From 1987 to 1991 I owned 6 of them (two of which were LX 5.0 convertables). The sound of Flowmaster 40 series with off-road exhaust on a 5.0L with timing advanced was "insta-wood" for me back in the day. LOL. However, I got out of the Mustang addiction in 1990 and into a CarTech built and tuned 300ZX Twin Turbo with HKS exhaust, followed by numerous Toyota MR2 turbos, a grey market 1984 Porsche 928S and a pair of 1993 Mazda RX-7s (an R1 and a Touring). Now I really prefer smoother, more exotic sounding exhaust tones to raspiness (or high frequency exhaust sounds). Speaking of which, I once uncorked my 300ZX TT and it literally sounded like the merging of an F-14 Tomcat and a hair dryer. LOL. While it was fun for a day or two, it was nice putting the high quality HKS system back on it. [:p]

Thanks. On a scale of 1-10, hows the Cobb in terms of drone compared to the mbrp? (10 being bad/loud)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks. On a scale of 1-10, hows the Cobb in terms of drone compared to the mbrp? (10 being bad/loud)
I hear barely any and I'm not being baised. Id give it maybe a 2, 3 max. But I don't have a downpipe yet so I'm sure that helps with the drone

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I get very little drone with my cobb cbe. Only on super hot days and going wot it can get a little drony but nothing unbearable.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
With that said, it would be easy to add a 2.5" resonator to the Cobb if you didn't like it. [:o]

With that said, it would be easy to add a 2.5" resonator to the Cobb if you didn't like it. [:o]
Thanks guys for the responses. Cobb it is :). I have no plans on changing out the down pipe. I'd like to keep my warranty intact...for the time being.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thanks guys for the responses. Cobb it is :). I have no plans on changing out the down pipe. I'd like to keep my warranty intact...for the time being.
My thoughts exactly but the urge to hear more burble makes me want to install a catless 3" dp :)