Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Change your Forum name to Exhaust whisperer! I Demand it be done!
If you record some acceleration videos (like third gear, accelerate from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm or so) and post them (unedited, no music) I can take a whack at figuring out what frequency you need to cancel. Once you know the frequency it's easy to cancel. So far with the Fiesta ST everyone seems to have drone issues at ~3200 rpm which is about 106.7 hertz.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Well, here's a video I just got at lunch... not bad for literally just a muffler to glasspack swap.
[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsDwiUoW559yxwXg8[/video]
needs to be under load from inside the car if you'd like me to tell you the frequency. Or just gas-it and tell me the RPM at which the resonance is worst - I'd bet 3200-3400 :p

danbfree

3000 Post Club
needs to be under load from inside the car if you'd like me to tell you the frequency. Or just gas-it and tell me the RPM at which the resonance is worst - I'd bet 3200-3400 :p
Sorry, a couple of other people asked for a video and that was just what I grabbed real quick... With mine I'm not having a specific resonance issue, it just booms in general under load, which I think exactly what glasspacks do, and was hoping to bring that overall volume during acceleration down just a touch...

So I’m 90% done with my custom side exit exhaust and I’m starting to think of how to change up the sound some more. I’ve had a muffler delete for months and have gotten compliments by surprised ST owners in my area that all it was was a $35 delete (pipe and muffler tip). I recently heard a clip of a muffler delete (like mine) but in the place of the stock resonator he had put a glasspack in. He said it killed the drone and he loved the sound. I know videos don’t always do the sound justice but I really like it and for $25 I figured why not, but I might just enjoy my homemade side exit for a bit longer before I pull any triggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
It's a to each there own thing. A muffler delete does have alot of drone but the sound is nice. When I just had the delete I also got complemented on its sound. I wonder if some people that comment on its crap sound have ever heard one in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So I’m 90% done with my custom side exit exhaust and I’m starting to think of how to change up the sound some more. I’ve had a muffler delete for months and have gotten compliments by surprised ST owners in my area that all it was was a $35 delete (pipe and muffler tip). I recently heard a clip of a muffler delete (like mine) but in the place of the stock resonator he had put a glasspack in. He said it killed the drone and he loved the sound. I know videos don’t always do the sound justice but I really like it and for $25 I figured why not, but I might just enjoy my homemade side exit for a bit longer before I pull any triggers.
I'd put the glasspack at the end, they burn out rather quickly when you put them that far up as the temps are too high there still. I hear a resonator delete causes no drone, but a muffler delete does... so best of both worlds is resonator delete with glasspack as muffler. Mine is just stock muffler to glasspack, the rest stock... just got a great compliment on it from a fellow member on here when we met up a bit ago... but side exit is unique and interesting! [video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/y5g7nAuezg3uhGG87[/video]

I'd put the glasspack at the end, they burn out rather quickly when you put them that far up as the temps are too high there still. I hear a resonator delete causes no drone, but a muffler delete does... so best of both worlds is resonator delete with glasspack as muffler. Mine is just stock muffler to glasspack, the rest stock... just got a great compliment on it from a fellow member on here when we met up a bit ago... but side exit is unique and interesting! [video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/y5g7nAuezg3uhGG87[/video]
I heard that video looking through the exhaust thread last night it sounds great! Unfortunately the only length of piping straight enough to fit a full size glasspack is where the resonator is now. If I’ll have to be swapping packs as they wear out quickly maybe I’ll just do another style resonator. Or I could just delete the resonator entirely and try to fit a small 10” glasspack after the first curve before my side exit. Hard to explain without a picture. I’m one of those that doesn’t mind droning. Compared to my BT MS3 and my mild built Silverado both with 3/3.5inch catless straight pipes this little 1.6 isn’t even noticeable haha. Decisions decisions...

It's a to each there own thing. A muffler delete does have alot of drone but the sound is nice. When I just had the delete I also got complemented on its sound. I wonder if some people that comment on its crap sound have ever heard one in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Some may but I agree. I think most listen to a YouTube video on a phone and base their opinion on that. If the glasspack doesn’t work out it’s always reversible. That’s why I clamp pipes in before I make them permanent in case I don’t like the way it sounds. I’ve done a lot of trial and error with exhausts on previous vehicles attempting different sounds it’s always fun trying new things. I always end up happy in the end and spending no more than $150 or so at most. The Fiesta has cost me about $50 playing around as of now and I’m really pleased with the results. But there’s always more to try :)

I won't use last names, but you're Alyssa on the FB groups, very cool setup!
That’s me! Now your username makes sense too haha. I’ll be posting videos of it on Facebook the weather has finally cleared up. I’ll post one up here too once I upload it to imgur.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That’s me! Now your username makes sense too haha. I’ll be posting videos of it on Facebook the weather has finally cleared up. I’ll post one up here too once I upload it to imgur.

When do you next have to go through a Joyzee inspection??

When do you next have to go through a Joyzee inspection??
It’s brand new I bought it feb this year so I guess 2023. I won’t have a problem with my DMV I brought a catless straight piped MS3 and a straight piped Silverado. No issues. Rahway doesn’t care lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It’s brand new I bought it feb this year so I guess 2023. I won’t have a problem with my DMV I brought a catless straight piped MS3 and a straight piped Silverado. No issues. Rahway doesn’t care lol.

Westfield once tried to fail me with a 100% emissions legal LS1 Z28, before they shut down however many years ago.

The Parsons dolts could not see the FACTORY driver's side catcon, so they tried, but I would not leave until I made the manager come out of her office at the end of the line, to SHOW her it was there, and legal, and issue a passing sticker!

Westfield once tried to fail me with a 100% emissions legal LS1 Z28, before they shut down however many years ago.

The Parsons dolts could not see the FACTORY driver's side catcon, so they tried, but I would not leave until I made the manager come out of her office at the end of the line, to SHOW her it was there, and legal, and issue a passing sticker!
Yea Westfield has a history of being pains about everything driving related. I remember that DMV I actually used to live in Garwood and that big parking lot for it was at the end of my dead end street!

LILIKE16ST

Muffler delete is very subjective on whether it sounds any good or not, personally I was not impressed with how it sounds, anyone considering this should listen to sound clips.... I feel a swap to a glasspack gives you a MUCH better sound than a delete with no drone and only some good feedback when you accelerate, perfect to go with Symposer delete for natural sound.... And again, recent X47 hybrid testing shows pretty much exactly the same power with 100% stock exhaust over modified exhaust.. Now with an actual BT, results would likely be different.

View attachment 19200
My question with that testing is which one is stock exhaust which one is modified? Also one was done in 3rd gear one in 4th gear that can make a difference for sure. I know exhaust isnt going to do alot but a catless DP is def going to add power and help spool time with a hybrid turbo. One was doing significantly more torque I assume that was the modded exhaust? It had more power and torque low and more up high too without much change in the middle. It's hard to tell just how much it did with them being done in diff gears a 4th gear pull will usually show higher numbers than a 3rd gear pull all things equal because its closest to 1:1

cxwrench

Anyone ( ron@whoosh ) have any idea how loud the Thermal 3" is at 3000-3500rpm? I really want to get one but the new law in CA has me concerned about how loud they are. The number we are limited to is 95db at 19" at a 45* from the exhaust, at the level of the exhaust coming out of the bumper. So I hear.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Anyone ( ron@whoosh ) have any idea how loud the Thermal 3" is at 3000-3500rpm? I really want to get one but the new law in CA has me concerned about how loud they are. The number we are limited to is 95db at 19" at a 45* from the exhaust, at the level of the exhaust coming out of the bumper. So I hear.

The law is not new its been on th books for several years, what is different is its no longer a fix it ticket. Its a court appearance and possible fine, You can still take your exhausr to a BAR ref and get it tested and take the cert back to the court to get the charges dismissed.

Aftermarket exhausts are not ilegal here and Thermal is a California company so they are well aware of the 95db limit. P.S. 95db is pretty damn loud lol.
I run a Thermal and there is no way its 95db.