Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST stock clutch failure on unmodified car toast at 10k...common?

OP
M
Thread Starter #21
BTW, I did confirm with the dealer that the slave/to, pressure plate, and disc will all be replaced. They indicated that that is standard procedure for this job on these cars.

🤞 With any luck I'll have some word today.

OP
M
Thread Starter #22
Latest word is that the clutch was wet with some leaked fluid (writer couldn't confirm whether it was gear oil or brake fluid). At the moment, they believe it will be covered under warranty.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My slave has a slow leak. Waiting for the day that it gets on the flywheel/clutch surface. Glad it’s probably warranted for you. My son had a fist with a clutch disk failure, where it’s small inner metal ring separated from the rest of the disk.

OP
M
Thread Starter #24
Jeepers. I was expecting to get it back today and just got a call that the throw out bearing is defective. Apparently they'll have a new one Tuesday, and I may not have it back until Wednesday/Thursday at this point.

No idea what the odds of that are, but it's a bummer!.

Last edited:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Jeepers. I was expecting to get it back today and just got a call that the throw out bearing is defective. Apparently they'll have a new one Tuesday, and I may not have it back until Wednesday/Thursday at this point.

No idea what the odds of that are, but it's a bummer!.
If its all covered imo this situation was a win happening now than in another 5 or 10k

OP
M
Thread Starter #26
If its all covered imo this situation was a win happening now than in another 5 or 10k
So far that's what I've been told. Agreed. Better now at 10k than at >30k in a year.

Happy it's covered. Unhappy I can't drive my new (to me) car now that the weather is nice. 🤷‍♂️ Also not thrilled about the side eye from my wife about it being so unreliable so far. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
M
Thread Starter #28
The truly better shops find ways to get manufacturers to cover things that could bring it back in short order. In other words, it might actually be fine. But replacing it now, versus later, doesn't really add any labor cost and part cost is minimal. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/powertrain-engine-parts/100/1#list
Sadly, the labor is going to have to be done as a result. They had the gearbox back in and everything else re-assembled before they found the issue. They didn't indicate the manner in which it was defective. I'll ask for more detail once it's said and done. I see lots of reports of varying problems with the slave/tob and the lines so it seems like a weak spot.

New clutch disc/pressure plate, flywheel, whatever seal was leaking, and 2 throw out bearings seem to be the parts list so far...plus I assume a bunch of single use fasteners from pulling everything apart twice. Not sure what the labor is on getting the gearbox in and out, but the amount of time they've spent seems to suggest that it's involved.

--Matt

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That is bullshit. I spent 3 years around that industry that is not how you do business.

I would have told them to go straight to hell.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #30
That is bullshit. I spent 3 years around that industry that is not how you do business.

Which part? They found out late Friday that they need another part, and it apparently takes 2 days to get (did last time too). I feel like they've been fair about it, and offered a loaner to drive while it's out of service. I'm bummed I can't drive my FiST but they seem to have done right by me. We're in a rural area, which may add time to part availability.

--Matt

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Wow that's interesting. Things do get super hot when roasting a clutch and that heat radiates out to surrounding parts.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Which part? They found out late Friday that they need another part, and it apparently takes 2 days to get (did last time too). I feel like they've been fair about it, and offered a loaner to drive while it's out of service. I'm bummed I can't drive my FiST but they seem to have done right by me.

--Matt
You do not get to recharge for labor it is their fault. You have to be absolutely stupid not to replace that part when you have the transmission out. You can be nice and still scam somebody.

Let me give you an example if a job pays 10 hours and I do the job but I don't replace something so I didn't actually fix the problem, or maybe I did the job incorrectly. I would have to do that job over again and I will not be paid for it, and the shop will not be paid for it.

I promise you you are being screwed over.

OP
M
Thread Starter #33
You do not get to recharge for labor it is their fault. You have to be absolutely stupid not to replace that part when you have the transmission out. You can be nice and still scam somebody.

Let me give you an example if a job pays 10 hours and I do the job but I don't replace something so I didn't actually fix the problem, or maybe I did the job incorrectly. I would have to do that job over again and I will not be paid for it, and the shop will not be paid for it.

I promise you you are being screwed over..

Oh, no, you get me wrong. They have to do the labor twice but as far as I've been told the issue was caused by a part failure and covered under warranty.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Oh, no, you get me wrong. They have to do the labor twice but as far as I've been told the issue was caused by a part failure and covered under warranty.
Okay so you're saying they are not charging you for the labor?

OP
M
Thread Starter #35
Okay so you're saying they are not charging you for the labor?

Correct. The labor (the actual work, not payment for work) has to be done a second time, since the gearbox has to come out again, but I'm not paying for it. I'm sure someone is (them, ford, etc.) but so far as I've been told not me.

OP
M
Thread Starter #38
Went up to the dealer today to grab the loaner they offered. Curren Escape honestly isn't bad at all! Stopped in to grab my son's booster and there was definitely brake fluid under and around it, so I guess it's that kind of failure.