Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Focus RS - News, Info, Updates, and Reviews

I think I'm gonna leave the FiST stock for awhile. Need to try & get this while I have the opportunity to possibly get one.

I think I'm gonna leave the FiST stock for awhile. Need to try & get this while I have the opportunity to possibly get one.
The RS has driven me to do the same. Saving the cash for a down-payment. The local Ford dealership let me put in an order and a deposit last Saturday. Nirtrous Blue with the RS2 package. Hopefully the order is legit, got a call back from another larger dealership that said they weren't expecting to release details until FEBRUARY..... Also hoping that I continue to like the blue over the other color options. The Stealth Grey is stealthily growing on me....

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #84
2016 Ford Focus RS production starts in Germany

FYI...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/15/2016-ford-focus-rs-production/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

"If you're as into Ford's hot hatches as we are, this is excellent news: The production line in Saarlouis, Germany, has fired up and is producing Focus RS hatches as of today.

It's been so long since the car debuted, at the 2015 New York Auto Show, that you may want a quick refresher. The Focus has had three generations in Europe, and each of them have begat an RS variant. Traditionally, the RS was a front-driver, initially with a turbocharged inline-four, and in the second-generation model a Volvo-derived turbo inline-five with a fancy RevoKnuckle front suspension design to manage torque steer.

The third-generation Focus RS will be the first of the breed to hit our shores, and it'll also be the first with all-wheel drive. The new torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system comes with a Drift Mode, taking advantage of the system's ability to channel as much as 70 percent of available power to the rear, and from there up to 100 percent of that to one side. Combined with a stability control system that allows for true hooligan antics, Drift Mode should be a riot. Don't forget that the Focus RS will beat a Subaru WRX STI's 5.1-second 0-60 mph time handily if Ford's quoted 4.7-second 0-62 time is to be believed.

Since the production line has started, there's a good chance Ford will be able to deliver the 350-hp hatch to Americans this spring, as promised. The $36,605 base price that Ford has confirmed (including destination) still represents the entry point."

[HR][/HR]
Press Release

1/15/2016

ALL-NEW FOCUS RS ROLLS OFF THE LINE IN GERMANY; HOT HATCH SET TO ARRIVE AT U.S. DEALERSHIPS THIS SPRING

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 15, 2016 – With U.S. sales of Ford's performance cars outpacing the overall industry, production kickoff for the company's long-anticipated, 350-horsepower hot hatch couldn't come at a better time. The first all-new Focus RS has rolled off the line in Saarlouis, Germany.

The arrival of Focus RS in the United States this spring adds to a potent hot hatch lineup. Ford's Focus ST and Fiesta ST both have enjoyed critical acclaim and success. Sales of the Focus ST increased 9 percent last year while Fiesta ST saw a gain of 4 percent.

The Ford Performance U.S. lineup is set to grow by three models in 2016. Focus RS will be joined by F-150 Raptor this fall and the all-new Ford GT supercar that goes into production late this year. Along with Focus ST and Fiesta ST, the lineup already includes Shelby® GT350 and GT350R, which debuted late last year.

Record-breaking Focus RS
Focus RS is one of 12 performance vehicles Ford will bring to customers globally through 2020. Developed by a team of Ford Performance engineers in Europe and the U.S., Focus RS is powered by a specially engineered version of Ford's new 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine. Its 4.7-second 0-62-mph sprint makes the high-performance hatchback the fastest-accelerating Ford RS model ever.

Focus RS pioneers innovative Ford Performance All-Wheel Drive with Dynamic Torque Vectoring for a new level of handling, grip and cornering speed. For the first time, the RS model gets selectable drive modes – including industry-first drift mode that allows controlled oversteer drifts – and launch control.

01-2016-ford-focus-rs-geneva-1.jpg

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #85
All new Focus RS - Drive Modes Explained (Video)

Published on Jan 15, 2016

"The Focus RS comes with four "Drive Modes". Ben Collins explains what they are, where and how they can be used".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbd3h4FoYOw#t=49

[video=youtube;bbd3h4FoYOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbd3h4FoYOw#t=49[/video]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Fords ultimate turbo charged animal hatchback is powered by a 2.3L that makes 350hp. That's pretty good, but I feel like ford only did it 60% of the way. The elephant in the room for me is.... AMG's 2.0L (15% smaller engine ) that makes 375hp, 25 more than the ford. The "RS" should be completely taken off the leash, but a fat-head benz makes more power with less engine ? That's not cool.

The other bit thing is.... So... The 350GT R mustang is much faster due to ford really breaking ground on wheel development with that company from Australia. The mustang is 2wd. The RS is 4wd, who has more to gain by using lighter wheels all the way around ? Seems if you got the connections and you have the plan, then.... Why does the "RS" killer not have carbon fiber wheels?

I can see holding back on some of these things with lesser models. But... The RS needs to really be epic, and that means pulling out all the stops. But its not....

Have you seen replacement cost for the carbon wheels, its something like an $11,000 set of wheels.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
B
Have you seen replacement cost for the carbon wheels, its something like an $11,000 set of wheels.
but what would ford pay for them? And not 12" wide units, 8" wide and only 18" tall.

Not like ford wouldn't get a discount.

And no reason this 2.3L shouldn't be 375hp with better response/torque than the cla45.

It could easily add $5,000 to the price. I would rather buy the car get a set of aluminum race wheels and have money left over for 2-3 sets of tires.

As for the engine, the integrated exhaust is probably screwing things up or else Ford chose a smaller turbo. I don't think its a big deal because it can be solved with a call to DHM, ATP, Full Race, etc.

They are different markets, not a big deal, in my mind it has to spank Golf R and WRX STI and be a more viable performance car platform than an EVO. I think it does that.

Evo is dead and gone.

Focus RS seems to be the way to go if you're looking for that level of performance.

I always said if Ford ever brought the RS to the states I'd buy one.

That level of performance is hard to enjoy day to day on the streets safely and with a soon to be 4 yr old riding in back I can't take too many chances anymore.

When I was looking at fiestas the sales girl tried steering me towards the RS as the dealership still had 4 available. A tempting proposition no doubt but I am looking to lower my card ceiling not raise it.

With that being said. The little lady finally got the escape she's been hoping for the last couple years and I drive her TDI Jetta waiting to see what V dub does. Hoping they buy them back. And then I will get my ST.

Butterybunz

Fords ultimate turbo charged animal hatchback is powered by a 2.3L that makes 350hp. That's pretty good, but I feel like ford only did it 60% of the way. The elephant in the room for me is.... AMG's 2.0L (15% smaller engine ) that makes 375hp, 25 more than the ford. The "RS" should be completely taken off the leash, but a fat-head benz makes more power with less engine ? That's not cool.
Your comparing a handbuilt AMG motor in a $50,000 car to a $34,000 RS motor? It's amazing that the RS is ONLY 25 hp less than the AMG.

To be fair, the RS and SVT motors are hand built.

The real comparison is torque curves. With the added displacement, I would expect the RS motor to have a good advantage from initial spool up to fairly close to the horsepower peak.

I have not looked at them because I'm not in the market but anyone interested in passing judgment should look at that.

Butterybunz

To be fair, the RS and SVT motors are hand built.

The real comparison is torque curves. With the added displacement, I would expect the RS motor to have a good advantage from initial spool up to fairly close to the horsepower peak.

I have not looked at them because I'm not in the market but anyone interested in passing judgment should look at that.
The RS motor is not hand built.

You are correct about how the power is delivered, it is largely due to the size of the turbo from the factory.

Are you sure about that? The terminator mustang was probably a much higher production volume car and it has a built by plaque on each motor like all the SVT Cobras.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I would agree it beats its competitors... But its not $36k, just like a STi isn't $36k. They are both $40K cars in the real world, and the CLA45 isn't $50k JUST BECAUSE ITS MOTOR... Its $50K because its $10K nicer inside than a focus.

I don't really care if its hand built or not...

Maybe my expectations for a "RS" badge car is too. I mean... "It "pretty much" beats is compition", is NOT what I'd want if I was a ford boss. I'd want, "its changes what you should expect about a AWD 4 cylinder turbo hatchback is, and what it could be. Its a next level "evolution" of the segment". Instead..... "It beats the other guys..... Ohhhh !!! It has drift mode !!". What's next ? "Ghost cam" mode that makes it sound like a V8 ?

I'd buy the GLA45, lol, I'm not a CLA45 nutswinger, just... I feel like the RS should crush all and be next level ( like the raptor is to all those other wanna be off road packages ). The STI is using that old busted 2.5L, how hard is it going to be for the STi to which to direct injection on a 2.5L and "one-up" the RS ?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #97
Focus RS - A Few "First Drive" Reviews Released Today

Jan 18, 2016

"It’s a dreary day at Ford’s Lommel test facility tucked away in a nondescript corner of northeast Belgium. About as far away from a canyon road in California or a serpentine pass in the Smoky Mountains as you can get. Yet it’s here that we’ll get to finally drive the new 2016 Ford Focus RS for the first time."

Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-focus-rs-first-drive-review

Top Gear

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ford/focus-st/23-rs/first-drive

AutoExpress

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/focus/93280/new-ford-focus-rs-2016-review

Automobile Mag

http://www.automobilemag.com/review...=10153105112780904&adbpl=fb&adbpr=20553875903

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Very funny, top gear mentions its not as fast as the A45 ( smaller version of the cla45/GLA45 we get here ).

See... Its already happened. They didn't go all-out, and the amg is already upstaging it in the power department. We all know they COULD have made more with that engine.

Butterybunz

From the looks of it... the RS destroys it's competition. It has 50hp more than the next competitor and what is supposed to be the best AWD system yet.. I'm not sure what you expected but it appears as though you are reaching for reasons to discredit it.

Butterybunz

Are you sure about that? The terminator mustang was probably a much higher production volume car and it has a built by plaque on each motor like all the SVT Cobras.
Yes I'm sure. The RS shares basically the same motor as the Mustang Ecoboost. Some of the models coming out of SVT had hand-built engines because it was SVT that was building them, the RS is not an SVT car. The RS is being assembled in a factory in Germany.