Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

Who does this programming?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
To avoid putting together an ASBuilt file myself, I used this guy's programming services: https://sync3programming.com/ but there are others on ebay and across the web. If you can find a newer SYNC 3 vehicle with similar options to your car, I have heard that you can also just use their ASBuilt file. I could not do this because I went from factory Sync 2 navigation, to a Sync 3 system without nav. I also wanted some custom options that I couldn't be bothered to program myself, thus I used that gentleman's programming services.

He will send you an ASBuilt file (with the options for your car/APIM and the custom options you want). Then using FORSCAN, you flash it to your car.
Videos like this help to explain the flashing process:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEKAJhSV64

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
To avoid putting together an ASBuilt file myself, I used this guy's programming services: https://sync3programming.com/ but there are others on ebay and across the web. If you can find a newer SYNC 3 vehicle with similar options to your car, I have heard that you can also just use their ASBuilt file. I could not do this because I went from factory Sync 2 navigation, to a Sync 3 system without nav. I also wanted some custom options that I couldn't be bothered to program myself, thus I used that gentleman's programming services.

He will send you an ASBuilt file (with the options for your car/APIM and the custom options you want). Then using FORSCAN, you flash it to your car.
Videos like this help to explain the flashing process:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEKAJhSV64
That's what I need. Going from Sync2 w/NAV to Sync3 w/NAV.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The basic FORSCAN hex codes aren’t difficult to change. Need to be very careful, tho. I just tweaked the code to enable the RV camera and to have the ST splash screen. If I remember correctly, I used my car’s as-built, not the donor’s.

DadJoke

I did some digging for part numbers tied to the APIM module that determines sync version and features.

This might be helpful for everyone.

So, my girlfriend has a 2017 Fiesta (non-ST) with the original Sync 1 system in it - the 14B120A front panel above and the non-touchscreen 4.5inch display. It's given her nothing but trouble and since I've upgraded systems in a number of cars in the past, including my own, I wanted to bump her up to Sync3 with touchscreen for Christmas. I'd like to do the whole stack, the Sony radio, the APIM + screen, plus the front panel/screen housing for it all.

This thread has been incredibly helpful in terms of info and parts numbers, but I was wondering if there's info on the model numbers for the different head units and if there are compatibility issues between those and the APIMs. Just doing my due diligence before I buy anything. Hopefully I'll be able to find a wreck with a full stack available.

Thanks. Useful to know, as I’ll probably go without Nav if I I’m able to upgrade
FYI OEM reverse camera was only achievable on the Nav version of Sync 1/1.1.
Any updates on this attempt?

Found a killer deal on another SYNC 3 APIM with navigation to replace the sync 3 unit I swapped in without nav. This one is out of a Mustang so I'll have to use my base programming code and figure out how to enable navigation. This is what I found for that:

"You can enable nav button with this option:
7D0-01-02: x2xx xxxx xxxx

Shows navigation map on screen:
7D0-01-01: xxxx xx9x xxxx "

I'm going to doublecheck on that with DanMc85 (the SYNC 3 guru) because I'd rather not flash anything I am unsure about. I will update all of you with what I find.

Alright, so new unit is installed and working great. All that was needed was this code change:

Needed to be updated from version 1.0 to 3.0 which I was able to do without first going to 2.2 so that was easy. For some reason I was getting a navigation fault at first but after doing a master reset (after the Forscan flashing and the updating), it’s working without issue. 2E23AB80-9657-4677-9318-5683ECBEB1A0.jpeg

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Alright, so new unit is installed and working great. All that was needed was this code change:

Needed to be updated from version 1.0 to 3.0 which I was able to do without first going to 2.2 so that was easy. For some reason I was getting a navigation fault at first but after doing a master reset (after the Forscan flashing and the updating), it’s working without issue. View attachment 26310
Did you update from Sync 2?

Did you update from Sync 2?

I previously updated from Sync 2 to a non-navigation Sync 3 setup. Found a deal on a Sync 3 navigation APIM I couldn’t pass up, so I just swapped that in.
The code change I mentioned was for swapping from a non-nav Sync 3 APIM to one with nav. I used Forscan to copy the current programming on my non-nav APIM, changed that one line, and wrote it to the new APIM. Worked great!

Really don't know why this one isn't stickied at the top of this subforum...

Such a worthwhile update to early model Fiesta ST's
I agree, I’ll likely be doing this to my FiST as Sync with MyFord Touch has decided to intermittently disconnect Bluetooth with my phone lately, and there’s a wealth of well presented info in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #252
I agree, I’ll likely be doing this to my FiST as Sync with MyFord Touch has decided to intermittently disconnect Bluetooth with my phone lately, and there’s a wealth of well presented info in here.

I dont get along with one of the mods so I doubt it will ever happen. :unsure:

This may be obvious to most, but make sure to reflash your tune after installing the new unit. I was confused as to why I was only making about half boost for a week before I tried reflashing my tune... duh!

This may be obvious to most, but make sure to reflash your tune after installing the new unit. I was confused as to why I was only making about half boost for a week before I tried reflashing my tune... duh!
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but uhh so as far as the tune goes whatever you’ve last written to the ecu should be permanent until another tune is written by you or anyone else updating the ecu. Really shouldn’t be running into any issues with the tune, even if you disconnect the battery. If I were you I’d take a quick look around under hood to make sure it’s not an intermittent hardware problem in your car.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but uhh so as far as the tune goes whatever you’ve last written to the ecu should be permanent until another tune is written by you or anyone else updating the ecu. Really shouldn’t be running into any issues with the tune, even if you disconnect the battery. If I were you I’d take a quick look around under hood to make sure it’s not an intermittent hardware problem in your car.

Interesting, I'll take a look. Everything has been going fine since then. Thanks for the insight!

Alright, so I'm part of the Sync3 gang now!

* Acquired head unit from 2019 Fiesta at a local salvage yard (GR26AJ2BT-14G370-CBA)
* Purchased non-nav configuration from syncprogramming.com. Shout-out to Dan; everything worked as expected. Boot shows a nice ST logo!
* Purchased GPS unit, hub wiring harness (didn't want to cut anything), and Sync3 hub (HC3Z-19A387-E) on Ebay.

Everything came out to ~$350CAD

Attachments

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #257
CarPlay and AA are worth the price of admission for this mod - can't say it enough, brings the car back to 'new' spec.

Glad you got it sorted easily and for a good price!

Alright, so I'm part of the Sync3 gang now!

* Acquired head unit from 2019 Fiesta at a local salvage yard (GR26AJ2BT-14G370-CBA)
* Purchased non-nav configuration from syncprogramming.com. Shout-out to Dan; everything worked as expected. Boot shows a nice ST logo!
* Purchased GPS unit, hub wiring harness (didn't want to cut anything), and Sync3 hub (HC3Z-19A387-E) on Ebay.

Everything came out to ~$350CAD
Do you need the sync hub if you have an android phone?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Do you need the sync hub if you have an android phone?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Reading threads about this, I thought you might get away with using the older hub for Android Auto but, in my case, head unit displayed and error saying hub is invalid/malfunctioning and asked me to disconnect it. Perhaps older 2016 hubs differ from older 2014 hubs (which is the one I had)? Not sure how 2016 looks like but mine had aux audio and SD card slot.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The basic FORSCAN hex codes aren’t difficult to change. Need to be very careful, tho. I just tweaked the code to enable the RV camera and to have the ST splash screen. If I remember correctly, I used my car’s as-built, not the donor’s.
That is also what I did. I used my Sync 2's As-built and updated it to enable the NAV to work since my original didn't have NAV, even though I had added it later to my Sync 2 before I decided to update to Sync 3. Then I enabled the on-screen climate control and a few other things. It was much easier than I thought to update from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Well worth it, as I like the Sync 3 better even though I wasn't sure before I changed it.

Last edited: