Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla news

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Compared to what, tho? Fiesta's 2700lb/200ish HP ~ 13lb/hp vs Corolla's 3200lb/300HP ~ 11lb/hp, so the latter technically wins?
Ya but you can’t compare it to the FiST other than the FiST is lighter and definitely will be more nimble no getting around that.
You would be better comparing it to a Veloster N or a FoRS because that’s the class size the GR Corolla is in . Veoster N 25 less HP but possibly almost 100 lbs lighter depending on how it’s optioned. FoRS 200lbs more 350 . So ya it’s in the ball park for a stock car but both those cars have plenty of room for HP due to being larger engine cars . The Corolla on the other hand has a tuned to the max 1.6 liter 3 banger.

P.S. I have friends that own Focus RS’s and all of them push for more HP than stock. So ya while you may feel 300 hp in a 3250 lb car is great I don’t and a lot of other people seem to agree. Oh and Nissan seems to feel the same way because the new Z is coming it weighs in in the 3200 lb range and will be putting out 400hp RWD and manual.

We can go on all day about this I put IMO because ya this is how I feel I have given you examples for reference .
we can agree to disagree .

Last edited:
Ya but you can’t compare it to the FiST other than the FiST is lighter and definitely will be more nimble no getting around that.
You would be better comparing it to a Veloster N or a FoRS because that’s the class size the GR Corolla is in . Veoster N 25 less HP but possibly almost 100 lbs lighter depending on how it’s optioned. FoRS 200lbs more 350 . So ya it’s in the ball park for a stock car but both those cars have plenty of room for HP due to being larger engine cars . The Corolla on the other hand has a tuned to the max 1.6 liter 3 banger.

P.S. I have friends that own Focus RS’s and all of them push for more HP than stock. So ya while you may feel 300 hp in a 3250 lb car is great I don’t and a lot of other people seem to agree. Oh and Nissan seems to feel the same way because the new Z is coming it weighs in in the 3200 lb range and will be putting out 400hp RWD and manual.

We can go on all day about this I put IMO because ya this is how I feel I have given you examples for reference .
we can agree to disagree .
Yeah but comparing the Veloster N which is 100lbs lighter vs the GR which is AWD is kinda skewed. Remove the driveshaft, the read diff and the axles, you get more than your 100lbs difference.

As for the tuned to the max engine, there again, I disagree. Motive Video has pushed their stock engine until it gave up. They were able to get to 500hp and even then, the only reason the engine kicked the bucket, is that the headgasket blew up because of the increased cylinder pressure. Everything else was still in tip top shape. They just slapped a new HG without decking the head nor the block and they were back on track. So with an uprated HG and possibly better headstuds, who knows up to where this engine can go before a real catastrophic failure?

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
@Dpro I agree with your surmising here for the most part. I do think this is a really good looking car. But the weight. That's heavy for being a hot hatch. And the markup potential. Assuming one of these in "Circuit" form optioned out could be had for $40k, it's a good price. But if it goes much beyond that it's less appealing.

CSM

1000 Post Club
For price I am hearing $32k for the core car, $35k for the core car with performance package, and $40k for launch edition.

As far as the 1.6 three cylinder being pushed to the max - as Alkoran mentioned these things are stout. With a bigger turbo and upgraded valve springs, they make ~400whp reliably from what I remember.

Really tempting me to talk to my dealer about the GR Corolla vs. the GR86 I have a deposit down on. The core car with PP sounds tempting.

Mikey456

I think this car will also hold its value longer. It’s probably first and last of it’s kind of hot hatch. The motor is interesting too, the one we did not get in our Fiesta here.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can actually buy it. That’s why it’s better.
Yes, I ALWAYS want smaller, lighter, and tighter wheelbase given the same or similar power levels. [driving]
But I guess some really do need the 'utility' of a larger platform, and/or more doors (like many on here who would've taken the 4 door FiST over the two door even if they had that choice).
lol exactly. If I can actually buy the 'rolla then then it's better! But the Yaris is still the spiritual successor to the FiST. I would go Yaris without giving it a 2nd thought! Much like the 500 Abarth that's on my bucket list - tiny with more power potential than it should have = most fun possible on 4 wheels. It's part of the reason I love my FiST so much. I can be doing 50 in a roundabout and feel like death is calling cuz the car is so small and nimble it feels like I'm going much faster. Easy adrenaline hit, minimal danger. While the larger cororlla isn't going to fill those shoes it's still worth a test drive, at the very least. I hope they did something about the clutch up take cuz on the XSE it was vague as all hell and gave ZERO feel. The shitty clutch was one of the main reasons we gave the car back...that and Miata ;)

........Corolla hatch was released I fell in love. It was just too slow for me though. No anymore..
.......I always felt MS3‘s were ugly due to their hood bulge and I have a smiley face facia .This is like a MS3 dropped acid ate nuclear waste and had a baby.
So ya not feeling it so much as some of you.:ROFLMAO:

The GR Yaris did pull it off better than this IMO.
As far as looks are concerned, I owned the much maligned MS3 so be gentle lol. That car was indeed a face only a mother could love but in the end I buy my cars based on what they feel like behind the wheel. I could give a rats ass how it looks. I hated the FiSt when I first saw it. Squished and tall with giant ugly headlights on it...but it drove amazing so I bought it. And like the MS3, I've grown to love its looks now. In my experience, pics online never quite capture how light reflects off sheetmetal so I expect that if I owned the 'rolla, its looks would grow on me too. I already LOVE what the regular XSE looks like so I think can overlook the MS3 hood (Core model deletes it) and the questionable Subaru fender flare if the thing puts a cheese on my face! Those 3 exhaust tips tho......didn't like it on the Type R either. I predict it's gonna look sick in white.

Man....I love that car. But I decided to keep the CRX and I can't handle two old ones. Plus this GR has me feeling the exact same way I felt in 2013 when I started reading about the Fiesta ST. That means something.

The only question is keep or sell the ST? I love my ST. Would love a GR too.
C R X...Now that's better than the Corolla. Also on my bucket list. When growing up I had a picture of one on my wall that I ripped out of a SuperStreet magazine. The Yaris is the closest modern car to it and we'll have to wait 25 years to drive one....but again, our consolation prize isn't AT ALL bad. But the question remains, would I really trade in my FiST for one in a yr or whatever? OR maybe I give the FiST to my daughter and trade in her car......hmmmmm.

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
IMPORTANT NUMBERS
How long is a new Corolla (and therefore the GR) compared to a FiST?
172 in* vs. 160.1 in long
* based on current Corolla hatch

How heavy is a new GR compared to the FiST?
3249 lbs vs. 2742 lbs

The Fiesta ST is 12 inches shorter and 507 pounds lighter.

For those coming from a stock FiST, the GR has a lot to offer. For people like myself coming from a modified FiST, there is a different story. My car has 337tq at the wheels which accounting for drivetrain loss is around 370 at the crank which is about 100 ft/lbs more than the GR. Horsepower we're 304 wheels which accounting for drivetrain loss is around 340 crank which is about 40 hp more than the GR. Of course the GR can be modified. But the question is will a person from a higher-power FiST be happy with the GR?

This is the question. But man I want that engraved shifter and all wheel drive.

C R X...Now that's better than the Corolla. Also on my bucket list. When growing up I had a picture of one on my wall that I ripped out of a SuperStreet magazine.
It is a wonderful nostalgia machine.

I've owned a Focus SE 5 spd, my daughter owned a Focus ST before it was totaled by someone, and I've driven a Focus RS. The Focus RS felt fast but it felt like a heavy Focus ST and sort of meh compared to the FiST as far as driving dynamics. As the FiST won out over the FoRS when purchase time came, I doubt the GR Corolla will get me to change up.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
The only question for me other than the obvious “how is it to drive?” is “Will my wife kill me if I have two hot hatches?” I’ll be in need of a DD shortly and this might be the winner.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do tend to doubt that the stealerships will ever allow a test drive though, given their compulsion to over-gouge these types of rides, even if one strolls into their showroom with a wad of CASH to pay for it in full.

They fully expect you to buy it totally on it's hype, and press build up ONLY. [:(]

They will most likely treat their allocations of these much the same way Ford did with the 350Rs. [mad]

The rear of the car is a huge pass for me. What is with that bench seat bumper.

I have a '19 Corolla HB and the infotainment / user control is god awful. I'd be worried about this car being burdened with slow buggy Japanese tech from 5 years ago. Toyota is unwilling to update the software to support Android Auto, but they enabled Apple carplay. Apparently you can pay a little money to get an updated unit w/ AA in other countries but in the USA they refuse so I am stuck using the phone screen (and not the terrible Toyota bundled software package that barely functions).

I do tend to doubt that the stealerships will ever allow a test drive though
Pretty much. If I'm moving from a great car to something else, I really want to make sure I will like it more and that means a test drive. It would be great if Toyota sets up something similar to ST Academy, that would solve all dealership test drive problems.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Pretty much. If I'm moving from a great car to something else, I really want to make sure I will like it more and that means a test drive. It would be great if Toyota sets up something similar to ST Academy, that would solve all dealership test drive problems.
Possibly, but they most likely would set that up at the closest track to their new Plano, Tx. HQ (probably Motorsports Ranch??), a somewhat 'central' location as far as the whole country goes, but still inaccessible to many. [:(]

But I do wonder IF they could ever be that 'involved' to even bother with this option.[dunno]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I've owned a Focus SE 5 spd, my daughter owned a Focus ST before it was totaled by someone, and I've driven a Focus RS. The Focus RS felt fast but it felt like a heavy Focus ST and sort of meh compared to the FiST as far as driving dynamics. As the FiST won out over the FoRS when purchase time came, I doubt the GR Corolla will get me to change up.
This right here is what I have teen talking about this whole time. As I too owned a Focus SE before I had my FiST. Test drove the FoST , knew the FoRS was going to be a FoST on steroids with a form of AWD , i.e great concept did not drive bad , had a terrible turning radius even compared to a regular Focus.
Outside of Toyota not screwing up the turning radius like Ford did, and based off wheel base 103 for the GR vs 98 for the FiST. It will just drive like a larger car. There is no way of getting around that.

Now as much as people here seem to be love for all things AWD I question outside of taking it to the dirt a lot how much usefulness the car will be in street form. I mentioned this too my friend last night. If I was offroading or tracking all the time i.e some form of dedicated race car this car would make some sense.
As a daily or single choice sports car I don’t see it. As a second or third car it would make a bit more sense.
I get it though for the guy with the family who still wants his fun it might be the answer.

For me the two new cars that have my attention are the new Z coming in and the GR86 and seriously If I were a 86 owner with an order in for the new GR version I would not cancel my GR86 order.

Truth be told in the end HP aside the same argument I make about the FiST vs the Rolla could be said about the Z vs the 86. 86 will be lighter and most likely more nimble. Though Nissan is pretty amazing in the suspension handling department as they have proved in the past and with the way the GTR seemed to defy physics in its handling prowess.

Though both are a RWD and power on slide machines something I love beyond all belief and in fact the slide factor of the FiST is one of the things that got me from the get go.

So ya maybe I am a bit more biased towards a RWD orientation overall vs FWD and AWD except GTR.:ROFLMAO:
I do not expect the Rolla to be anything like any of the GTR’s I am glad Toyota did it.
This discussion is and has been quite entertaining .

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The rear of the car is a huge pass for me. What is with that bench seat bumper.

I have a '19 Corolla HB and the infotainment / user control is god awful. I'd be worried about this car being burdened with slow buggy Japanese tech from 5 years ago. Toyota is unwilling to update the software to support Android Auto, but they enabled Apple carplay. Apparently you can pay a little money to get an updated unit w/ AA in other countries but in the USA they refuse so I am stuck using the phone screen (and not the terrible Toyota bundled software package that barely functions).
Toyota's website shows that the 22 Corolla comes with wired AA and CarPlay.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This right here is what I have teen talking about this whole time. As I too owned a Focus SE before I had my FiST. Test drove the FoST , knew the FoRS was going to be a FoST on steroids with a form of AWD , i.e great concept did not drive bad , had a terrible turning radius even compared to a regular Focus.
Outside of Toyota not screwing up the turning radius like Ford did, and based off wheel base 103 for the GR vs 98 for the FiST. It will just drive like a larger car. There is no way of getting around that.

Now as much as people here seem to be love for all things AWD I question outside of taking it to the dirt a lot how much usefulness the car will be in street form. I mentioned this too my friend last night. If I was offroading or tracking all the time i.e some form of dedicated race car this car would make some sense.
As a daily or single choice sports car I don’t see it. As a second or third car it would make a bit more sense.
I get it though for the guy with the family who still wants his fun it might be the answer.

For me the two new cars that have my attention are the new Z coming in and the GR86 and seriously If I were a 86 owner with an order in for the new GR version I would not cancel my GR86 order.

Truth be told in the end HP aside the same argument I make about the FiST vs the Rolla could be said about the Z vs the 86. 86 will be lighter and most likely more nimble. Though Nissan is pretty amazing in the suspension handling department as they have proved in the past and with the way the GTR seemed to defy physics in its handling prowess.

Though both are a RWD and power on slide machines something I love beyond all belief and in fact the slide factor of the FiST is one of the things that got me from the get go.

So ya maybe I am a bit more biased towards a RWD orientation overall vs FWD and AWD except GTR.:ROFLMAO:
I do not expect the Rolla to be anything like any of the GTR’s I am glad Toyota did it.

YES, given where you live (and for anyone in a similar climate), AWD is somewhat of a 'weighty waste', as it barely ever rains there, let alone snows (unless you head into the Sierras maybe).

For those of us in very changeable, less desert/tropical climes, it is a bit more desirable.

That being said, true, many who own this car, and pay that gouging markup for it, would never even dare to take it out into the rain, snow, and 'salt soup' of an upper midwestern, or northern east coast winter (like even many on here will not, despite the car being much more affordable), sort of defeating one of the purposes/benefits of said AWD.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

If ur in the market for something fast and that's ur only criteria, then body style is irrelevant. I like my cars fast and practical, so I've been through a ton of fast sedans and hatches. I can already see myself heading to home depot in the the Z or the toyobaru and regretting buying a coupe. And that's the brilliance of a hot hatch. You can have ur thrills on the way to the market and actually fit the shit you came to buy lol. We tried food shopping in the Miata and it was a game of tetris in the parking lot for 10 minutes.

Agreed that AWD was unnecessary. All it means is pricier repairs as she ages. Honda manages to reinvent the spindle and remove damn near all torque steer from the Type R. But for a parent looking for a potent daily to stick the kids in, AWD makes its case in safety alone.

I wouldn't compare the turning radius to the FoST. I had both cars in the driveway for a few years and the FoST was waaay worse. The thing drove like a tank. I really didn't like the FoST at all. Now the XSE was sprung way too soft but never felt like a tank. It was noticeably more nimble than the FoST, if much, much slower. the FoST felt sturdy tho while the rolla felt tin cannish. The GR will probably feel more tinny with it's aluminum hood and doors but we'll have to wait and see.

I do tend to doubt that the stealerships will ever allow a test drive though, given their compulsion to over-gouge these types of rides, even if one strolls into their showroom with a wad of CASH to pay for it in full.

They fully expect you to buy it totally on it's hype, and press build up ONLY. [:(]

They will most likely treat their allocations of these much the same way Ford did with the 350Rs. [mad]
They were doing it with the FoRS, so wouldn't surprise me. What if we show up in our full bolted FiSTs!? But if it's a problem, I'll ask my buddy with the Cayman GT4 to go with me. If they see that thing sitting outside, they may take me more seriously :cool: No way I'd buy ANY car without tasting it first.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The car is probably too heavy for me, and I also don't really have any interest in AWD, it's just more weight and complexity that I don't need.
However, I am very glad that Toyota is making it. It's really nice to see them paying attention to the enthusiast market, and bringing in a hot hatch, even if it's not perfect for my needs. It's a very interesting car mechanically.

Last edited: