Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla news

ronmcdon

I think this is going to make more sense if one is looking more for a focus rs, golf r, sti, evo, or maybe even ctr replacement rather than that of a fiesta st.
its actually a good 200lbs or so lighter too although wheelbase is a tad longer.

ive had a 06 sti and still have a 14 evo. they feel very different in the way they drive compared to the fiesta, although the fiesta rotates really well and at times reminds me of the evo.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
If ur in the market for something fast and that's ur only criteria, then body style is irrelevant. I like my cars fast and practical, so I've been through a ton of fast sedans and hatches. I can already see myself heading to home depot in the the Z or the toyobaru and regretting buying a coupe. And that's the brilliance of a hot hatch. You can have ur thrills on the way to the market and actually fit the shit you came to buy lol. We tried food shopping in the Miata and it was a game of tetris in the parking lot for 10 minutes.

Agreed that AWD was unnecessary. All it means is pricier repairs as she ages. Honda manages to reinvent the spindle and remove damn near all torque steer from the Type R. But for a parent looking for a potent daily to stick the kids in, AWD makes its case in safety alone.

I wouldn't compare the turning radius to the FoST. I had both cars in the driveway for a few years and the FoST was waaay worse. The thing drove like a tank. I really didn't like the FoST at all. Now the XSE was sprung way too soft but never felt like a tank. It was noticeably more nimble than the FoST, if much, much slower. the FoST felt sturdy tho while the rolla felt tin cannish. The GR will probably feel more tinny with it's aluminum hood and doors but we'll have to wait and see.
I can see from a parents point of view. I am not in that position. Plus I have no plans of getting rid my FiST . So the semi practical car sticks around. I like sports cars always have , having at least one full on in the stable is pretty much a given for me. Everyone has different like’s or needs I get it.

The car is probably too heavy for me, and I also don't really have any interest in AWD, it's just more weight and complexity that I don't need.
However, I am very glad that Toyota is making it. It's really nice to see them paying attention to the enthusiast market, and bringing in a hot hatch, even if it's not perfect for my needs. It's a very interesting car mechanically.
Like I have said all along for the weight to make sense for me! It would have to have more HP stock. Really prefer not to be trying for more power. Done that for years and it’s getting old, so to speak. Prefer to buy the car good to go.
I totally agree about Toyota making it that is a good thing and am happy for the people that want it or buy it.

P.S. Ya I bolded the for me because previously some people just have not seemed to get that.

Last edited:
Toyota's website shows that the 22 Corolla comes with wired AA and CarPlay.
Yes they support it now - but I think it's nonsense that they promised future Android Auto support in my model year then never made it available here in the USA (but can be upgraded/updated in other countries). The 2020 HB supports Android Auto but my 2019 doesn't; the model years are 99% the same. Some people reported the dealer told them they have to replace the entire head unit at a cost of like $7000 (ridiculous). The infotainment and controls of this GR looks pretty similar to my '19 HB - I wouldn't want to pay the prices people are speculating here to get a fun car burdened by such slow, buggy software that feels like it was made in 2010. Given my experience so far, I wouldn't trust Toyota to support/update anything lacking with the car after purchase as well.

Those are interesting details that I did not know, thanks for describing those.
I looked at it again and I might be full of crap, looks like the clutch pack and the rear differential is likely a single piece. Oh well,

1648855928893.png

EDIT: Yay, I'm not full of crap. There are BOLTS:

1648856131442.png

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They were doing it with the FoRS, so wouldn't surprise me. What if we show up in our full bolted FiSTs!? But if it's a problem, I'll ask my buddy with the Cayman GT4 to go with me. If they see that thing sitting outside, they may take me more seriously :cool: No way I'd buy ANY car without tasting it first.

One of the local Ford dealers did let me test drive a FoRS (WITH a salesman in the passenger seat, of course! [wink]), even after seeing me pull up in 'only' the FiST.

But yes, despite not looking quite as old as I am, I most certainly would never be mistaken for a young'un 'hot rodder' (as the salespeople would probably say LOL!), so that also played into it as well, I'm sure.

This was a couple of years after the introduction.

My guess is that they were having trouble moving an almost $40K Ford hatchback in this hoity-toity, very very status conscious, purely upscale SUV (and maybe 'rolling Rolex' sedans) craving area, despite it being this dealer's sole allocation of this model.

Last edited:

Mikey456

One of the local Ford dealers did let me test drive a FoRS (WITH a salesman in the passenger seat, of course! [wink]), even after seeing me pull up in 'only' the FiST.

But yes, despite not looking quite as old as I am, I most certainly would never be mistaken for a young'un 'hot rodder' (as the salespeople would probably say LOL!), so that also played into it as well, I'm sure.

This was a couple of years after the introduction.

My guess is that they were having trouble moving an almost $40K Ford hatchback in this hoity-toity, very very status conscious, purely upscale SUV (and maybe 'rolling Rolex' sedans) craving area, despite it being this dealer's sole allocation of this model.
Lucky for Toyota. There is really no competition in this segment anymore. No Sti, Evo, or FoRS. The Golf R seems like a more luxury GT car IMO

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF ~400 lbs. or so could be pared off of this thing somehow, it would really move, even in factory stock form.

I wonder how much more yet it would weigh with steel instead of the few aluminum alloy body parts they decided to give the build. [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I like the close-ups of the GR Corolla on this clip….

View: https://youtu.be/s0owby0cwak
Aesthetics-wise, the only thing that bothers me (besides having to take four doors), is that front fascia 'treatment' mostly the headlights and forward hood line, but if it were lighter, and the performance was there, I could easily overlook that little 'flaw'.

I really do not love those same front/headlight quirks of the Yaris GR either, but IF we were allowed to have it, given it's performance, and the looks of the rest of it (and yes, TWO doors!), I could learn to like it. [wink] [driving]

Pretty impressive overall, but an alcantara covered steering wheel would've been nice, even on the base car (will it be standard on the 'launch'/'Circuit' model? [dunno]).

Kind of hard to tell from that video, but are even the rear calipers FIXED as well? (Most rides in this price class scrimp on that, regardless of whether or not there is any actual performance benefit from it or not.)

I am already wondering how much those back seats, belts, and cargo cover weigh. LOL

I also wonder if that is going to be the final production model's exhaust outlet configuration.

Personally, I think it would look better with just the center oval outlet, especially if they are trying to remain 'true' to their current WRC Rally 1 Yaris looks, and they should forego the two outer FoRS-like outlets.
(Unless they are trying to remind everyone that this is a 3 pot engine? [dunno] LOL)

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
When I bought my Fiesta ST back in 2015, looks and infotainment/tech were irrelevant. There was enough about it that was amazing to make many other considerations irrelevant. I see this car the same way.

Personally I think it looks awesome.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Aesthetics-wise, the only thing that bothers me (besides having to take four doors), is that front fascia 'treatment' mostly the headlights and forward hood line, but if it were lighter, and the performance was there, I could easily overlook that little 'flaw'.

I really do not love those same front/headlight quirks of the Yaris GR either, but IF we were allowed to have it, given it's performance, and the looks of the rest of it (and yes, TWO doors!), I could learn to like it. [wink] [driving]

Pretty impressive overall, but an alcantara covered steering wheel would've been nice, even on the base car (will it be standard on the 'launch'/'Circuit' model? [dunno]).

Kind of hard to tell from that video, but are even the rear calipers FIXED as well? (Most rides in this price class scrimp on that, regardless of whether or not there is any actual performance benefit from it or not.)

I am already wondering how much those back seats, belts, and cargo cover weigh. LOL

I also wonder if that is going to be the final production model's exhaust outlet configuration.

Personally, I think it would look better with just the center oval outlet, especially if they are trying to remain 'true' to their current WRC Rally 1 Yaris looks, and they should forego the two outer FoRS-like outlets.
(Unless they are trying to remind everyone that this is a 3 pot engine? [dunno] LOL)
From what i've read, the rears are fixed - 2 pot. With 4 on the front. Some proper braking there

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
From what i've read, the rears are fixed - 2 pot. With 4 on the front. Some proper braking there
Yeah, neither the Veloster N, nor the CTR give you fixed rear calipers (on the N you cannot even get them optional, or in a performance package on the front!), so 'Yota did not scrimp there at all. [wink] [thumb]

Not sure what the Golf R has for brakes though. [dunno]

I wish it was lighter, why can't we just have the GR Yaris, anyhow this car intrigues me. I called around to about 15 dealers today to see if I can get in line, no luck most said they will call me back later. Longo had 70 preorders already and said they would probably only get 20 cars. So yea I kinda want one but it is looking like it will be hard to get, especially if you want a Circuit edition.

Mikey456

I wish it was lighter, why can't we just have the GR Yaris, anyhow this car intrigues me. I called around to about 15 dealers today to see if I can get in line, no luck most said they will call me back later. Longo had 70 preorders already and said they would probably only get 20 cars. So yea I kinda want one but it is looking like it will be hard to get, especially if you want a Circuit edition.
I’m not sure I would spend the extra on the extra on “circuit” edition. The performance pack that you can order with the optional LSD seems to be the better value. Sure there are some “bling” items on the Circuit edition like the carbon fiber roof, spoiler, and fancier seats if you desire. But you get the same hardware engine/drivetrain as the base. I think the brakes are the same too?????

Business6

3200lb AWD turbo hatch in 2022 is pretty fucking phenomenal and it's disappointing that people are so fixed on the weight despite the fact that the FWD options like the Veloster N and CTR are barely lighter. If people wanted lighter then the car would be lighter. But they want luxury-level sound dampening, they want higher quality materials, they want this, that, etc etc. Those aforementioned cars should be below 3000lbs but that's very clearly not what buyers demand.