Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grinding noise when turning left and hard acceleration

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The latest update is that the dealer that I took it to was so backed up that as of October 29th, they wouldn't be able to look at it for another six weeks. They offered to transfer it to a sister dealer in the area who could look at it sooner.

That dealer was able to look at it last week and diagnosed the issue as motor mount issues and said the engine was fouling on the frame. I guess that's consistent with the issues, lots of vibrations and the engine hitting the frame causing the grinding noise I thought was a rotational noise.

I was told yesterday that they would be receiving the parts today so I'd expect it will probably be completed tomorrow or the next. I went ahead and had them replace the timing belt and water pump as well since it's nearly due anyway. I guess I will see soon if that's all the issue was or if they can't diagnose anything either.
Good luck, it sounds like you're making some progress.
I'm curious how much it cost to replace the timing belt and water pump. I don't think too many of us have had that done yet.

OP
S
Thread Starter #22
Good luck, it sounds like you're making some progress.
I'm curious how much it cost to replace the timing belt and water pump. I don't think too many of us have had that done yet.
The dealer is always more expensive, but I had them do it since they are removing the passenger motor mount anyway. They had quoted me the motor mounts and then I asked about the timing belt kit and water pump and she gave me a price on that. Either the service advisor is not knowledgeable that the motor mount has to come off for the timing belt or was trying to pull one over on me, but I had to ask for them to take the labor off for the removal and reinstall of the passenger mount since it has to be done as a part of the timing belt anyway and I didn't want to pay for double labor if they aren't doing double labor, as it wouldn't make sense for them to do. Took a day for that, but they agreed to take off the $149.88 for that labor and lump it in with the timing belt. Anyway, timing belt kit, water pump, and labor is $1095.98. I was quoted $700 something by the independent shop who couldn't diagnose my issue, but I didn't want to do that until I knew what the actual issue was, and I don't really want to bother taking it elsewhere, so I just decided to go for it at the dealer. All in, it should be $1612.5 for the timing belt, water pump, and two motor mounts. Not great, but if it solved my problem, it's much cheaper than I was expecting it to be and I get the timing belt replaced.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The dealer is always more expensive, but I had them do it since they are removing the passenger motor mount anyway. They had quoted me the motor mounts and then I asked about the timing belt kit and water pump and she gave me a price on that. Either the service advisor is not knowledgeable that the motor mount has to come off for the timing belt or was trying to pull one over on me, but I had to ask for them to take the labor off for the removal and reinstall of the passenger mount since it has to be done as a part of the timing belt anyway and I didn't want to pay for double labor if they aren't doing double labor, as it wouldn't make sense for them to do. Took a day for that, but they agreed to take off the $149.88 for that labor and lump it in with the timing belt. Anyway, timing belt kit, water pump, and labor is $1095.98. I was quoted $700 something by the independent shop who couldn't diagnose my issue, but I didn't want to do that until I knew what the actual issue was, and I don't really want to bother taking it elsewhere, so I just decided to go for it at the dealer. All in, it should be $1612.5 for the timing belt, water pump, and two motor mounts. Not great, but if it solved my problem, it's much cheaper than I was expecting it to be and I get the timing belt replaced.
Thanks for the information, that's helpful. That doesn't sound like a bad price for a timing belt and water pump replacement to me, that's about what I would have expected a dealer to charge.
I'm glad it looks like you got your problem fixed.

OP
S
Thread Starter #25
The good news is this problem is solved. The motor mounts were the issue. I drove it about 150 miles this weekend without those issues.

Of course I can't catch a break with car issues and managed to run over a board with a nail sticking up on both driver side tires. So I had to get those tires patched. This evening right after putting the wheel back on another one of the stupid fragile blend door actuators started clicking. I can't have one single trouble free day...