Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Home Depot Oil Catch Can DIY Writeup

OP
R
Thread Starter #21
Just got around to putting mine in. Trying to find a way to mount it is difficult. I used some strips of scrap metal and zip ties. Holds up surprisingly well.
Looks great! (Pics aren't embedding properly it appears but I was able to go to the jmgur links directly).

What kind of Hose did you end up using? I'm still am using the transmission hose and I need to get something stiffer for the vacuum

Did you need a 90 degree bracket to get from the PCV outlet to the catch can?

Looks great! (Pics aren't embedding properly it appears but I was able to go to the jmgur links directly).

What kind of Hose did you end up using? I'm still am using the transmission hose and I need to get something stiffer for the vacuum

Did you need a 90 degree bracket to get from the PCV outlet to the catch can?
I ended up cutting the PCV hose in half and added 5/8 brass couplers to each end. Since the PCV hose is flexible I didn't need the 90 degree elbow. I ended up buying a heater hose off of amazon. The quality is very good, so far I haven't seen any evidence of it collapsing.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I used reinforced, clear vacuum hose, used to pump down vacuum ovens, So I know it will work on our application. Cost was $20.00, but it is compatable with engine oil, as oil is used in diffusion pumps to generate a vacuum. Nice thing about it is that it is clear so you can check to see if the OCC is working at a glance.

Idealvac.com
P10149

[/URL][/IMG]

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Nice job. i also have a HD OCC set up, been busy lately so i haven't been able to post much on the site. but ill do a write up on my setup so people can see various options for this mod.

felopr

to the OP, how has the catch can been holding on? good shape? no damage from engine temp? etc

I'm fairly new to installs like this, is there not an oil catch can "kit" for our cars yet? How easy is something like this to do?

OP
R

ryst

Thread Starter #27
to the OP, how has the catch can been holding on? good shape? no damage from engine temp? etc
Catch can has held up great. I've seen guys on the Dodge SRT4 forums that used this can for 4 years with no issues (source http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/husky-oil-catch-can-586033/#post8775961 )

Honestly I wouldn't recommend the plastic 90 degree fittings I used, I actually broke one of them when I was pulling the hose off recently, brass is a better bet for longevity.

OP
R

ryst

Thread Starter #28
I'm fairly new to installs like this, is there not an oil catch can "kit" for our cars yet? How easy is something like this to do?
There's no complete bolt on kit yet, i think a lot of people are waiting for it. As for anything you do without a kit, it can just be a pain in the butt, you have to guess lengths and fittings and hope it all fits together properly.

But this is probably one of the simpler projects to do. One thing you should be aware of is that the whole system will be subjected to boost (around 20 PSI), so if it's not air tight you'll have a boost leak in your system, which isn't the end of the world but it's something to consider.

I tend to do mostly DIY things, cause I'm cheap and I like figuring things out but I did some DIY mudflaps recently, and after I finished I wished I had spent the extra $40 or so to just get the kit instead.

I have an old ebay catch can laying around from my past 2.4 SRT build. I think I am going to add baffling in it and seal it up real good. Probably use better fittings and I think I have some push lok hose laying around that should work for this and tons of extra AN fittings :)

felopr

I have an old ebay catch can laying around from my past 2.4 SRT build. I think I am going to add baffling in it and seal it up real good. Probably use better fittings and I think I have some push lok hose laying around that should work for this and tons of extra AN fittings :)
pics or it didnt happend

I only made it half way, I have to order some hose but I had a question for ryst:

Will this catch can prevent oil in the charge pipe and or intercooler? The reason I ask is because it looks like it goes right into the intake manifold which I dont know how oil would run backwards through the intake track and get through the intercooler back to the charge pipe but I guess anything is possible.
The other thing I was wondering is if, the other hose, the one that is hooked to the intake tube right after the airbox might be pulling oil from the engine into the intake that way and thats how it gets from the engine into that part of the intake. Maybe the catch can would be better here? I mean mine had oil coming out of it and there was oil in that intake tube.

Either way I am just looking for a way to reduce the oil in the intake(charge pipe, intercooler)

Do you notice any less oil with the catch can or have you not checked your charge pipe or intercooler? I have my ebay catch can halfway built I was just wondering if this is the only place to put it and or if its the best. Everything I said could be wrong just hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject could help me out.

OP
R
Thread Starter #33
I only made it half way, I have to order some hose but I had a question for ryst:

Will this catch can prevent oil in the charge pipe and or intercooler? The reason I ask is because it looks like it goes right into the intake manifold which I dont know how oil would run backwards through the intake track and get through the intercooler back to the charge pipe but I guess anything is possible.
The other thing I was wondering is if, the other hose, the one that is hooked to the intake tube right after the airbox might be pulling oil from the engine into the intake that way and thats how it gets from the engine into that part of the intake. Maybe the catch can would be better here? I mean mine had oil coming out of it and there was oil in that intake tube.

Either way I am just looking for a way to reduce the oil in the intake(charge pipe, intercooler)

Do you notice any less oil with the catch can or have you not checked your charge pipe or intercooler? I have my ebay catch can halfway built I was just wondering if this is the only place to put it and or if its the best. Everything I said could be wrong just hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject could help me out.
Someone more informed than me can probably chime in.

The PCV vents from the crank case directly to the manifold. I highly doubt anything going in there would go backwards through the intake tract. The reason I installed it is because of the video on the ecoboost engine that had carbon buildup on cyl 2 and 3 but not on 1 and 2 which is because the PCV vents in the middle of the manifold and the gunk deposits on the back of the middle valves (allegedly). We have a direct injection engine so there isn't any fuel spraying on the back of the intake valves to keep them clean which is the main reason I added the can.

As for the other hose, yes it vents to the intake tract (before the turbo). I haven't seen anyone put a catch can on this one, and I'm *pretty sure* I saw someone say that there is an oil catch built into the engine side of that hose (don't quote me on that).

I haven't opened up my intake tract to see if there's anything in it, so I can't compare to anyone in that regard.

The PCV vents from the crank case directly to the manifold. I highly doubt anything going in there would go backwards through the intake tract. The reason I installed it is because of the video on the ecoboost engine that had carbon buildup on cyl 2 and 3 but not on 1 and 2 which is because the PCV vents in the middle of the manifold and the gunk deposits on the back of the middle valves (allegedly). We have a direct injection engine so there isn't any fuel spraying on the back of the intake valves to keep them clean which is the main reason I added the can.

As for the other hose, yes it vents to the intake tract (before the turbo). I haven't seen anyone put a catch can on this one, and I'm *pretty sure* I saw someone say that there is an oil catch built into the engine side of that hose (don't quote me on that).

I haven't opened up my intake tract to see if there's anything in it, so I can't compare to anyone in that regard.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am still going to install the catch can to try to deter the valve buildup but I would like to know of a way to get rid of the oil in that charge pipe.

JPGC

2000 Post Club

I'm not so sure that oil residue couldn't run down the side of the inside of the manifold and puddle a little on the throttle body since our intake mani bends downward and the pcv line connects on the side of where the manifold piping is facing down. I wonder if anyone has pulled the manifold and throttle body to check. My catch can is catching a little over half and ounce every 2k or so miles. Nothing crazy. I was at a FoST gtg last weekend and we pulled an intake on the FoST to add a spacer and there was a little oil on the throttle body as well as in their sound synposer, which we deleted as well. If it's getting on the throttle body, then there's a chance it could get as far as the driver's side outlet of the intercooler.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
This system makes so much sense compared to putting it in the combustion chamber. No idea why they don't do it from the factory.
Because it burns oil in the exhaust, and it is bad for global warming ( tell that to boston right now ), I mean... Climate change, lmao. It would also gum up the cat.

I can't find the actual thread I was trying to explain this in... But i was using pressure washer soap to try and give the idea as to how it works.... Anyway, my buddy built his own parts, but it does the same thing, on his 2005 6.0L powerstroke. He uses cuss words when i say the word "catch-can", lol.

MOFiST

Because it burns oil in the exhaust, and it is bad for global warming ( tell that to boston right now ), I mean... Climate change, lmao. It would also gum up the cat.

I can't find the actual thread I was trying to explain this in... But i was using pressure washer soap to try and give the idea as to how it works.... Anyway, my buddy built his own parts, but it does the same thing, on his 2005 6.0L powerstroke. He uses cuss words when i say the word "catch-can", lol.
Edited & Removed drinking rant... Lol

When are you gonna rig this SS? It's pretty close to a silver bullet for our valves if it works as advertised. Do you reckon blow by screws up cats? I still can't quite wrap my head around the exhaust steam having suction. I would have thought they'd be pressure above atmos at that spot.

HaveBlue83

nice job!!!!! Looks like the FiST INDEED pushes a ton less oil than the FoST does. mine would fill up about 2" of a 32oz gatorade bottle every oil change. it was BAD. I am about 15K and I NEED to get on this asap. I was gonna do it at 3K but I heard it wasnt that bad. looks like it's enough. I should add a meth kit to clean up the head for a few months...... LOL.