Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How often do you need to top off your coolant?

I want to know what the average time is from everyone's answers. First time I needed to was after 9 months / 5000 miles. My second time might come sooner than that by the rate my coolant dropped from MAX after 1 month. I live in 90+ degree weather average btw.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
After 3500 miles I just topped mine off, it was roughly 5mm below the full line when I filled it.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
And never again? I topped it to MAX last month and it already dropped about a quarter (so 3/4 left to MIN now). Should I be worried??

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm only a couple hundred miles past that now, so I can't say. But it's normal to have to top it off every service.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is a sealed system....i understand evaporation and such. You Should NOT have to "TOP" it off that much...consumption of coolant should be looked into if it was me. I'm @20k coolant has been the same since day one. This is interesting.....subscribed. Please....Please don't let it turn into a Quad 4 engine.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
In my experience, at least with Toyotas, it was normal to have to top off the coolant reservoir every service.

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
I'm getting worried. I've read that members on here who have had "disappearing" coolant issues ended up needing major warranty work or engine replacements. :(

haste

1000 Post Club
my coolant is right at the min line when cold, 1000 miles on the car. would you guys add some if it was your car?
meh. mine was at the minimum for the first 25k when cold and no issues here. dont bother spending the money on coolant just for topping it off from the minimum level.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I had this with my Focus. It liked just below full. If I added it would go right back to that level in a few days. When it's an inch from the bottom worry.

A7xogg

all my previous cars had coolant flex where depending how hot or cold it was would determine how much coolant was in the reservoir. if your topping off coolant every service there is a leak/pressure issue in the coolant system. typically its the coolant cap for the reservoir on most cars. Less pressure = lower boiling point. Its a sealed system so yeah should be no topping off imo

If there are no visible leaks, then check your exhaust for white smoke. The coolant is going somewhere, and I'm concerned it's being burned off due to a compromised head gasket.

I suppose another possibility is it may be mixing with engine oil. I'd check those three things since coolant/antifreeze doesn't just magically disappear - especially since it's supposed to be a sealed system.

-Check for smoke from exhaust (when your fiesta is at operating temp, you should not normally see any smoke).

-Check the engine oil make sure it doesn't look milky.

-Check for leaks, but I'm sure you have already done so.

-Also I should mention that water pumps have a "weep hole". The coolant loss from the weep hole is very minimal over a long period of time