Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keeping The Party Cool! Mishimoto's Fiesta ST Radiator R&D!

Young L

A radiator is something that is a bit of a long term tester wouldnt you say? Definitely not something to be rushed.

LT Berzerker

Completely agree, just like to see any updates, last I saw was the need to resize due to width fitment issues... Less I missed something

Got my first coolant light come up today. 96 degrees out, driving over a 2 mile long mountain pass. Never had a hiccup with the Fist until today. Radiator will be a must have, not a want to have.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #86
Any updates on the radiator development?
Nothing at the moment! We are still moving along with different design iterations. As soon as we have data to share, a post will be up!

Thanks for your patience!

A radiator is something that is a bit of a long term tester wouldnt you say? Definitely not something to be rushed.
Completely agree, just like to see any updates, last I saw was the need to resize due to width fitment issues... Less I missed something
Thanks guys! Yes, the design and testing phase are taking some time for this particular product. Fitting a large core has proven to be a challenge within the constraints of the tight engine bay. Our last update showed our first prototype which had fitment issues due to core thickness. We decided to experiment with making this large core fit, in order to see the improvements in efficiency. In addition, we've been looking at tweaking our core slightly to fit with all factory equipment. I can't quite release the details, but we should be coming to a conclusion soon.

also in for some updates
Thanks!

Got my first coolant light come up today. 96 degrees out, driving over a 2 mile long mountain pass. Never had a hiccup with the Fist until today. Radiator will be a must have, not a want to have.
Wow, seems like a relatively normal driving condition. Thanks for the input!

-John

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Nothing at the moment! We are still moving along with different design iterations. As soon as we have data to share, a post will be up!

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks guys! Yes, the design and testing phase are taking some time for this particular product. Fitting a large core has proven to be a challenge within the constraints of the tight engine bay. Our last update showed our first prototype which had fitment issues due to core thickness. We decided to experiment with making this large core fit, in order to see the improvements in efficiency. In addition, we've been looking at tweaking our core slightly to fit with all factory equipment. I can't quite release the details, but we should be coming to a conclusion soon.

Thanks!

Wow, seems like a relatively normal driving condition. Thanks for the input!

-John
Yes - we are overheating in NORMAL driving conditions - and that's the big, GLARING problem. This is why the radiator for the Fiesta ST is such a high priority item. This summer has been especially hot and our cooling systems simply cannot keep up, even in what you'd consider "normal" driving conditions. Three laps around Adams Motorsports Park triggered the coolant warning light for me, and I had it happen again having a bit of fun (but not even driving 10/10ths, just like a 6/10ths "having a bit of fun" speed) on an 80*f day going up Palomar Mountain and the car overheated again, and this is while moving at a consistent 50+mph, too, meaning that the radiator just can't exchange the heat fast enough. I also tried turning on the heater full blast as an auxiliary cooler, and while it helped bring the temp down faster, doesn't help keep it down.

The Mishimoto Radiator can't come out soon enough and I will be first in line to have one on my car. I spent too damn much to have my daily driver fail because of Ford's failure to include an adequate radiator.

This also explains why the Mustang EcoBoost performance package has a bigger radiator as factory.

Pete

Yes - we are overheating in NORMAL driving conditions - and that's the big, GLARING problem. This is why the radiator for the Fiesta ST is such a high priority item. This summer has been especially hot and our cooling systems simply cannot keep up, even in what you'd consider "normal" driving conditions. Three laps around Adams Motorsports Park triggered the coolant warning light for me, and I had it happen again having a bit of fun (but not even driving 10/10ths, just like a 6/10ths "having a bit of fun" speed) on an 80*f day going up Palomar Mountain and the car overheated again, and this is while moving at a consistent 50+mph, too, meaning that the radiator just can't exchange the heat fast enough. I also tried turning on the heater full blast as an auxiliary cooler, and while it helped bring the temp down faster, doesn't help keep it down.

The Mishimoto Radiator can't come out soon enough and I will be first in line to have one on my car. I spent too damn much to have my daily driver fail because of Ford's failure to include an adequate radiator.

This also explains why the Mustang EcoBoost performance package has a bigger radiator as factory.
Yeah going up Palomar mtn at night in 59 degree weather my coolant got as high as 225 with no antifreeze and pure water mix... Its crazy how small our radiators our. When you drain them I dont think there is even a gallon of coolant in the system.

Also next time your going on palomar you should hit us San Diego guys up. find us on facebook, San diego st owners. :)

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #89

Yeah going up Palomar mtn at night in 59 degree weather my coolant got as high as 225 with no antifreeze and pure water mix... Its crazy how small our radiators our. When you drain them I dont think there is even a gallon of coolant in the system.

Also next time your going on palomar you should hit us San Diego guys up. find us on facebook, San diego st owners. :)
Thanks for the input/information guys. As soon as I have more information our development progress it will be posted!

We appreciate the support and patience.

-John

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club

I'm Nick Jamesson on FB lol add me to the group

felopr

Is kinda weird seeing guys with cooling problems, i live where is 100+ almost every day it never past 190 degrees while parked for a while with the car on, 210-220 spirited driving.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Is kinda weird seeing guys with cooling problems, i live where is 100+ almost every day it never past 190 degrees while parked for a while with the car on, 210-220 spirited driving.
Interesting. I was seeing coolant Temps of 230-240 @ willow springs on a 75 degree day. it was actually a nice day out but by the end of turns 1-6 I would be at 235-240 degrees coolant temp and have to take corners 7,8 and 9 slow to get the temp back down to 215ish and then got back through the first corners for it to be overheating at the end of the lap again. There is a definite need for an upgraded radiator here.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Spirited driving here in Houston is not a problem for me. On the track in high 90s, the stock radiator can't keep up; two laps and it starts limping. Same with the brakes. A bigger radiator is a must for those who track the car.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #95
Thanks for the input! Spirited on-road driving is going to produce different results than actual track lapping, although many have reported a rise in temps on the street as well. Either way, there is certainly a deficiency in the stock setup and we are working towards correcting that.

Interesting. I was seeing coolant Temps of 230-240 @ willow springs on a 75 degree day. it was actually a nice day out but by the end of turns 1-6 I would be at 235-240 degrees coolant temp and have to take corners 7,8 and 9 slow to get the temp back down to 215ish and then got back through the first corners for it to be overheating at the end of the lap again. There is a definite need for an upgraded radiator here.
Spirited driving here in Houston is not a problem for me. On the track in high 90s, the stock radiator can't keep up; two laps and it starts limping. Same with the brakes. A bigger radiator is a must for those who track the car.
Thanks for the input guys! We are working towards a solution.

-John

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #96
Time for an awesome update!

Keeping The Party Cool! Mishimoto’s Ford Fiesta ST Radiator R&D, Part 3: Initial Fan Shroud Fabrication

It’s been a few months since our last major update, and for good reason. Our team has been quite busy. As a quick recap, last time we test fitted our first Ford Fiesta ST (FIST) radiator prototype, only to find that the core thickness was larger than the vehicle would allow. Once the radiator was bolted to the fan shroud, the shroud made contact with numerous components on the engine, prompting us to pull out our markers and take a second look at the drawing board.

Now, keep in mind the FIST has some serious cooling issues. Any pleasures on the track are normally negated after a lap or two causes coolant temperatures to reach the stratosphere, prompting a quick dart to the paddock. To improve the chances of our radiator holding up in any condition, we obviously want to stuff the largest, most efficient core possible into the constraints of the Fiesta engine bay. So, we didn’t scrap our first radiator just yet. Instead, we’re going to find a way to make it fit. This involves modification of the fan shroud to squeeze our 2.25” core into place.

Mishimoto Slim Fan Fitment

We decided to use one of our electric slim fans. At the least, using this fan would allow us to install our radiator to verify our mounting-point fitment.

First, we attached our fan directly to the core of the radiator.

Slim electric fan installed on Ford Fiesta ST radiator prototype

You will notice we’ve added a wiring pigtail to connect to the factory harness, making this a plug-and-play setup. Additionally, this setup has no shrouding, meaning we are not taking full advantage of the airflow produced by the fan. But keep in mind, we are using this setup primarily for fitment testing.

We’ve also placed the fan as far to the driver’s side as possible. This reduces the chance of clearance concerns with various components on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

After attempting the install, we found that our mounting peg diameter was slightly off, requiring some lathe work to fabricate new pegs for the radiator mounts.

Turning new mounting pegs for the Ford Fiesta radiator

Once complete, we could finally bolt this assembly into place.

Mishimoto Ford Fiesta ST radiator installed

Another feature you can see in this shot is a new, experimental air-bleed port, located in the center of the upper end tank. Bleeding air from the cooling system can be a pain, and any remaining air pockets can result in overheating.

This bleeder requires only light pressing to release air in the system, much easier than removing a bolt or loosening a screw. I won't guarantee this will be on our final product, but we will be evaluating its effectiveness during the testing of our radiator.

Here’s one more look at this radiator, installed from below.

We zip-tied the fan control unit in place temporarily as we might be testing this in the future. At this point, we made a decision to take a new direction. The full-speed amperage for the FIST fan controller is quite specific and is not compatible with our electric fan. This meant we would possibly need to include our ancillary fan controller and sensor, which would raise the price and add complexity.

Instead, we thought maybe we could use the stock fan and design a new shroud around it. So began a new quest for Fiesta coolant temperature control.

Fan Shroud Fabrication

First, we removed the fan blade and motor assembly from the stock shroud.

Stock fan assembly

We started the construction of our shroud using a flat sheet of aluminum.

Material for fabricating a fan shroud for Ford Fiesta ST radiator

We bent the piece into shape and then cut out the hole for the fan blades.

Ford Fiesta radiator fan shroud fabrication

Once the hole was cut, we welded the seams along the bends.

You’ll notice in the foreground of the image above, there is another port in place on the shroud. We designed this to accept a flap similar to those located on the stock shroud. During idle conditions, this flap will close to allow the shroud to funnel airflow through the core. At speed, the flap will open to allow airflow through the radiator core with as little restriction as possible.

In addition, our shroud is located only on the driver side of the radiator, which allows more at-speed airflow through the core and should have a nice impact on heat transfer during vehicle motion. A closer look at the flap is shown below.

That completes the basic structure of our shroud design. We added some weather stripping material to the inner edge to provide a nice seal with the radiator core.

Ford Fiesta ST radiator fan shroud fabrication

Check out a shot of the fan assembly in its projected location within our shroud.

Ford Fiesta ST radiator fan shroud fabrication

Coming Up

We aren’t done here! We have a few additions to make to this shroud before finalizing the design. First, we need to fabricate a blade cage and motor-mounting point. We also need mounting points to attach this unit to the Ford Fiesta radiator, as well as a mounting location for the fan control unit.

Check back next time for a look at the final fan shroud design. This next update will be coming soon!

Thanks for reading.

-John

felopr

I was talking about daily driven, or going a sunday drive or backyard spirited driven, on the track is another story, a bigger radiator is a must for the track

This is looking very nice! I like the retention of the OE fan, for cost consideration and direct replacement in the unlikely event of a fan failure.

As a side note, my FIST endured a track day a Sonoma Raceway in early August, with ambient temperatures in the mid 70's. With five 20 minute sessions, being driven almost to the limit lap after lap, the stock cooling system worked well. The temp bar graph never moved more than one bar towards the right, as compared to normal street driving. This was on a completely stock 2015.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #99
This is looking very nice! I like the retention of the OE fan, for cost consideration and direct replacement in the unlikely event of a fan failure.

As a side note, my FIST endured a track day a Sonoma Raceway in early August, with ambient temperatures in the mid 70's. With five 20 minute sessions, being driven almost to the limit lap after lap, the stock cooling system worked well. The temp bar graph never moved more than one bar towards the right, as compared to normal street driving. This was on a completely stock 2015.
Thanks for the kind words and the input regarding your experience. Seems as though most were struggling during the summer months with warmer ambient temperatures. Great to hear you were able to make it through each session. Any modifications to the car?

-John

Young L

I wonder if having the boomba racing intake spacer is going to push the intake manifold to close to the radiator?