Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Leaking Axle Seal fix--redesigned seal

I don't think so. My dealer made it clear that 3yr 36k was what this was covered under. However I didn't read the fine print.
I'd double check. This is from page 10-11 of the Warranty Guide from ford.

"Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain
vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically,
(1) Your vehicle?s Powertrain components are covered for five years or
60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts,
flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,
oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine
thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),
turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;
Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque
converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case,
transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings,
seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel
Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle
housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports,
seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.
Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear),
center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all
internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking
rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant
velocity joints."

you can also check it out here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ck-Warranty-version-7_frdwa_EN-US_12_2014.pdf

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hmmm....sounds like another dishonest dealer....smearing Ford for monetary gain by saying it's only covered 3 yrs.or 36k. I'd ask for my money back if you had to pay for the repair. If not show them the coverage contract. And if they don't then retard their greed....get a lawyer. Imo.

TUX15ST

There is really no reason for a dealer to not warranty something that is warrantable, they get paid either way and it looks better for them in the customer's eyes if something is free because most service advisors get paid based on customer satisfaction. I work for a mercedes dealer and half the time we even warranty things that aren't covered anymore just for the customer satisfaction but i realize this is a different animal haha

There is really no reason for a dealer to not warranty something that is warrantable, they get paid either way and it looks better for them in the customer's eyes if something is free because most service advisors get paid based on customer satisfaction. I work for a mercedes dealer and half the time we even warranty things that aren't covered anymore just for the customer satisfaction but i realize this is a different animal haha
My understanding is warranty repairs typically pay less than those paid by the customer, so the dealerships have an incentive to say something is not covered under warranty.

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #28
My understanding is warranty repairs typically pay less than those paid by the customer, so the dealerships have an incentive to say something is not covered under warranty.
They give them less time. I have a lot of buddys who worked at dealerships and tell awesome stories. On warranty work if the job really takes 5 hours, Ford (and they are not alone here all MFGS are pretty much the same) will pay 3.5 hours. Which leaves the mechanic out high and dry since the dealer typically pays their mechanics flat rate. So what the mechanic will do is find another job to do while he's in there "do it" (aka not do it) so he can be made whole.

This is what happened with my axle seals. I went in with a leaky drivers side, they "changed" the passenger side (wiped both off and pulled it off the rack in less than 30 min). 3k miles later I was back, then they "changed the driver side" (wiped them down and pushed it out the door in under 30 min). 3k miles later when I went back with pictures, had contacted Ford Corporate, and confronted them about defrauding Ford, pencil whipping the repair, and wasting my time. I finally got a loaner car, an apology, a check, and new seals. BUT it took 4 days because they didn't stock the seals [thankyou] .

As brand ambassadors or "value added resellers", you would figure that the OEM's would realize that if they make the Dealer whole on warranty repairs they would lose the connotation as "Stealerships" and people would happily take their cars there. But this culture has been in place since the 70's, and aint goin nowhere. Instead, the OEMs fight to protect their cars as "intellectual property" that you "lease" under the Digit Millennium Copyright Act to FORCE you to go to the dealer. You couldn't make this shit up.

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #30
however the dealership still gets the same
Not really. If it is NOT covered under warranty, the dealer gets to charge the "Actual" time it takes and the "going rate". On warranty repairs Ford (or anyone else) doesn't pay "the going rate", they pay an agreed labor figure per hour (usually around $50 an hour) or total per repair. Therefore there is far less profit in it for both the dealer and tech if it is a warranted repair.

On a non-warranted repair, typically, the dealers Labor rates to consumers usually hover between $90-$120 an hour, the tech still gets a flat rate, albeit the dealer will kick him more time. But the techs flat rate payout may only be $17-$20 per hour, the dealer pockets the difference. On the same repair, the dealer can make 2x-10x as much profit. Then they try to up sell you on other junk and pad that even further.

I absolutely believe in pressing dealerships for warranty work. These aren't televisions or laptops we're talking about; we've invested $20-25k into these products and rely on them to get us to work to and bring our kids to school. I've had to bring my ST in MANY times for warranty work, and I always give it to them straight. I've been fortunate enough to have a decent dealership where I live and know a reputable service adviser, but as the saying goes "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." I'm always looking to back-up other owners 100%.

Do you have the part number for the new seals?

Mine started leaking with only 1000 miles on them. I replaced them on my own when I changed over to motul 300. One side now nice and dry but the other side still leaking.
I took my fiesta to my local Ford Dealer to check on my seals (they both are leaking). They ordered the new seals part# CV6Z.1A177.A, i looked in the internet but i didn't find anything on this part #. I have to wait for the seals to get here and make another appointment to change them. Here is the Invoice:

UPDATE:
That [emoji1369]part# was a typo... they replaced both axle seals with part#CV6Z1S177A:

They look dry, for now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just about 17k on my 2015. This same drive shaft was replaced no more than 2-3k miles ago (for another reason), and look at what I found tonight. Guess we're gonna need to do this dance all over again. What exactly is the threshold between "leaking" and "weeping?"

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Leaking is literally running down drip by drip....weeping is just slightly moist with no dripping or running down to the ground. New cars weep some fluid believe it or Don't. I've got 23k on mine.....so far so good.

Leaking is literally running down drip by drip....weeping is just slightly moist with no dripping or running down to the ground. New cars weep some fluid believe it or Don't. I've got 23k on mine.....so far so good.
Just wondering if I should be concerned about trans fluid levels as this has been occurring for some time.

Here's a question - anyone take their car in for an axle seal repair with an aftermarket RMM? If so, had any issues from the dealer about it due to the modification? Shouldn't matter, but want to know... just noticed my right side leaking slightly at 20,000 miles.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What does a rear motor mount have to do axle seals? Absolutely nothing...they would have an extremely lucky day in court proving it caused the seal to leak. I've had my RMM in and out of the dealer with no issues. Every dealer is not the same either.

Just wondering what people's experiences have been on the RMM with this repair. I agree that dealers are different, and mine seems to be fairly cool about modifications. I brought them a Mustang years back with a ticking clutch at 3,000 miles. They replaced it under warranty and didn't seem to mind the headers and drag radials.