Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Leaking Axle Seal fix--redesigned seal

So I had a bit of an adventure with my axle seals. I'm gonna give the shortened version but it was a saga. My car shipped with the metal flanged axle seals (I have a 2014). Started leaking at 30k miles, took the car in. The dealer said they replaced them (debate-able). Leaked worse at 33k miles, took the car back in. The dealer said they replaced them (doubtful). At 36,001 miles (warranty expired) I had fluid on the whole bottom side of the car. Took the car back in, 4 days and a loaner car later I show up early to check my car out on the lift with the service manager. This time instead of the metal flanged seals, Ford had realized they were a problem so they obsoleted the old part number and now superseded it with a completely rubber seal. 10k miles and no leaks.

Take aways:

* So if your car has the metal flanged seals, it is probably gonna leak.
* Its complete BS and should be a recall/TSB.
* The dealer will probably give you the run around like I got.
* If they replace the seals in your warranty period, you have an additional 2 year warranty on that part.
* If you are out of warranty before you take it in for the first time you are SOL.

Edit: found a pic of the old seals on my phone. This is the metal flange seals that leak.

IMG_7336.JPG

Here is what the New design replacement seal looks like.

View attachment 11283

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I had a bit of an adventure with my axle seals. I'm gonna give the shortened version but it was a saga. My car shipped with the metal flanged axle seals (I have a 2014). Started leaking at 30k miles, took the car in. The dealer said they replaced them (debate-able). Leaked worse at 33k miles, took the car back in. The dealer said they replaced them (doubtful). At 36,001 miles (warranty expired) I had fluid on the whole bottom side of the car. Took the car back in, 4 days and a loaner car later I show up early to check my car out on the lift with the service manager. This time instead of the metal flanged seals, Ford had realized they were a problem so they obsoleted the old part number and now superseded it with a completely rubber seal. 10k miles and no leaks.

Take aways:

* So if your car has the metal flanged seals, it is probably gonna leak.
* Its complete BS and should be a recall/TSB.
* The dealer will probably give you the run around like I got.
* If they replace the seals in your warranty period, you have an additional 2 year warranty on that part.
* If you are out of warranty before you take it in for the first time you are SOL.

Things like this will not be a recall ever....its not a safety related issue. I could see them warranty out the seals longer than the 3 year 36k. But good info on the seals...not sure what mine has...will look today.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Likely a tbs but only if the customer asked. Got any picture of the new or the old seal. I believe I got some leakage on mine but it could be the anti corrosion oversprayed.

So they haven't fixed this for any model year? I have a 16 and I'll probably check tonight to see what seals I have in em

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #10
So they haven't fixed this for any model year? I have a 16 and I'll probably check tonight to see what seals I have in em
The seals just became available around the Beginning of this year, so I'd bet anything MFG'd early to mid 16 still have metal seals.

TUX15ST

Interesting, has anyone found the actual issues that is causing about half of these to leak? Just some people are lucky and unlucky lol?

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #12
Interesting, has anyone found the actual issues that is causing about half of these to leak? Just some people are lucky and unlucky lol?
I'd wager they all will leak eventually, but If I had to guess I'd bet its the thermal expansion difference between the aluminum and steel causing the problem.

FYI my car is never driven in snow, or below about 20 deg F. I drive it year round 20-110 deg F.

Wonder what the Ford dealership would say if I went in and requested the seals be changed with no problems? I imagine it would start with "fuck" and end with "off"...

TUX15ST

New seal look much nicer, i had a chance to check mine out last night when doing my rmm, with about 400 miles they already appear to have a little weepage, ill will have to monitor it carefully and really try to avoid bringing it to any dealership

Question: back to the original thread poster, would this not have been covered under the 5 year 50k or whatever milage powertrain warranty?

OP
romancommander
Thread Starter #18
Question: back to the original thread poster, would this not have been covered under the 5 year 50k or whatever milage powertrain warranty?
I don't think so. My dealer made it clear that 3yr 36k was what this was covered under. However I didn't read the fine print.

Do you have the part number for the new seals?

Mine started leaking with only 1000 miles on them. I replaced them on my own when I changed over to motul 300. One side now nice and dry but the other side still leaking.