Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Loud backfire and stall

I have a 2017 Fiesta ST with 55k miles. Only mods are a MBRP Catback, panel filter and a Turbosmart Kompact VTA BOV. I do have the EVAP issue happening, with a rough idle after filling the tank, but it never stalls, and there are no codes.

Yesterday I accelerated pretty hard to try to catch a light, I did hit the light though and when I lifted I had a very loud backfire (like 2-step subie at a car meet loud). I have some smaller crackles when shifting and it backfires occasionally when engine braking, but never this loud. Shortly after that sitting at the light the car stalled while in neutral. It did this two more times at the light. No CEL illuminated, and I babied it the 10 miles back to my house. This morning so scanned it for soft codes, and I got on it a little bit to see if it did it again. Car drove like normal, all engine PIDs seem to be fine on my scanner, and there are no recorded misfires.

Is it possible that I am having an EVAP issue that is worsening but not to the point of throwing codes? I do have a good bit of soot that collects on the back of my car as well. Could it be a Cat going bad? The car doesn’t seem to have issues accelerating and doing a pull watching boost it reaches 19 psi no problem. The exhaust also has no tone changes and isn’t running extra hot. Is there anyone else that’s had a similar issue? The only other thing I can think is I bought the car at 40k miles and it already had H&R springs and the exhaust on it. It is possible that it is tuned already but I have made a thread about that before and checking over everything it doesn’t seem to be tuned at all.

thank you very much and any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

OP
S
Thread Starter #2
Found a full write up on the PCV issue. I’m going to end up checking over that when I go back to work Monday.