Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Low coolant levels/possible coolant leak

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but there is some truth to the variance based on temperatures. Remember these cars do run very hot especially if running any sort of tune so you would have to account for some evap. I do add coolant occasionally in all my vehicles.

MOFiST

Didn't think a new car should need to be 'topped up' with coolant. Have you noticed any white smoke from the tail pipe or other leaks externally?

No leaks and white smoke. I don't usually start the car and check the exhaust but I will start

MOFiST

It might only be when you give it a bit. It might be subtle. Really they should be pressure testing it. Perhaps look for another dealer who's interested in helping you.

I too started to notice my coolant dropping so I took it to the dealer yesterday , I'll keep you guys posted as of what they tell me .

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm reading slightly below "min" mark in the coolant reservoir as well @ 4800miles....No worries as its not out of the ordinary and it just needs to topped off with some prediluted orange coolant (WSS-M97B44-D2) back up to mid point mark...Even when I've taken past new vehicles I've owned in for routine Service it wasn't uncommon to see slightly low coolant levels that needed to be topped off...

btw...Might be of interest for some...found this note in owners manual regarding dilution concentrate levels for extreme climate conditions...

Coolant req extreme weather.jpg

So I got back from the dealer and they couldn't find anything they refilled my coolant and that's it . All they told me was if my coolant drops again to bring it in and they would further look into it .
The dealer told me it might be bcuz I recently got the mountune mp215 but he couldn't say much so until next time I guess .

Could have been some air trapped somewhere too. You never know. Cooling systems are weird and that reason is the reason I hate having to drain coolant. I have had cars that I have driven for thousands of miles after a water pump or thermostat change, then suddenly the coolant light comes on. Check it, it's low. No other signs of burning or leaking, just add some and never have a problem again.

No matter how much you try to burp it, sometimes it just happens.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
At the very least get the oil tested for $25. If not a normal air pocket release it is either being burnt or getting into the oil pan. The test will tell you yes or no it is in the oil.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
If it's any help, I noticed around 5k miles my coolant was hovering around the low mark. I topped it with distilled water to the mid way mark and it's been fine ever since. Currently just shy of 25k miles. Mid-Atlantic weather, stupid hot and stupid cold haha

Today I had a temp spike and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over shut off the car and opened the hood, everything looked fine. I restarted the car, turned off the AC, and turned on the heat with the fan on max (the windows down - temps today in the mid 90's). Was able to get the temps down below 220, the light went off, and the car was no longer in limp mode. Was able to drive home but a few miles from the house I turned the AC back on and the temps went back up. This is really strange. I've got 37,000 miles on the car with out any problems. I've been driving all summer with no problems and the AC on. Highest temps I've seen before today while pushing the car with the AC on was 235. WTF.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Think I'm a victim of this also. Coolant was quarter inch below min. Refilled twice goes right back to below. No smells or apparent leaks. Reloading stock tune , removed catch can and intake hose. Not that they can't tell it's been flashed but don't want to give them any ammunition.

Think I'm a victim of this also. Coolant was quarter inch below min. Refilled twice goes right back to below. No smells or apparent leaks. Reloading stock tune , removed catch can and intake hose. Not that they can't tell it's been flashed but don't want to give them any ammunition.
Update on what happened at the dealer?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Update on what happened at the dealer?
It was #3 cyl with coolant leaking into. Replaced engine no hassle except clutch would not disengage 2000 miles later. I believe because of faulty install. New clutch and flywheel also no hassles. At 20k now all good.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It was #3 cyl with coolant leaking into. Replaced engine no hassle except clutch would not disengage 2000 miles later. I believe because of faulty install also no hassles. At 20k now all good.
Really good to hear that they worked it out with you and did not give you any issues

I have a 2017 with 9400 mi and I needed to fill the reserve tank from Min to Max today. Had the car for exactly a year next week. Nothing off about it so far. Runs fine except for a sensitive throttle in the morning, but I'm guessing that's regular operation. Will take it in for a pressure test next Monday. Will update.