Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Or Skid Plate Guy’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni
Yes, as I have one of those as well, but would NOT use it for actual stage rallying due to the way it is mounted to the car, and because it does NOT come all the way up to under the bumper cover like O'Neil's, M-Sport's, or Alex's above. [wink]

well i'm real happy i made all the reinforcements for plate mounting and plate itself is rather thick.
just one rally but real rough one. probably the rockiest in Canada LOL
we hit a few boulders pretty hard and now bumper is damaged though surely usable,
intercooler plastic tank has a crack and even rad support all cracked up and needs to be replaced.
...well that's how it is lol

This thread loses it's effectiveness with broken picture links.
Agreed. It's a bummer. I am in the process of replacing all of the bearings and seals in my trans and would have loved to see the process pics. At some point I'll have to do a writeup of my own. No LSD install for me, but a full refresh/rebuild. Wish I'd taken more pics myself!

Quisp

1000 Post Club

Peterson

Premium Account
So I removed the tranny, installed the LSD, and when I go to install, wrestling with it for a while and then I back off... this is what I see... WTF... spline is ligned up with the crank but what’s up with the flywheel and the pressure plate, clutch center? What’s going on here? This is a direct head on shot aligned with the splines so everything should line up, shadows from the work light can be deceiving.

88123AED-7A6D-4095-8CE3-D2601D037D58.jpeg

It’s always something, what’s up with the clutch? I wonder if I screwed something up removing the trans but the center was aligned with the crank.

D404FA75-AA9F-4FD4-B8D8-95F0EE70767F.jpeg 6B552961-4F66-411B-A231-38283E77E396.jpeg

Somehow, during removal, you moved the center plate in the clutch out of alignment. Here is a pic of mine when I removed it from my car. You can see the small triangles all line up with the slots:
IMG_5312.jpg
I'm not sure how to remedy your issue. Are you able to move it by hand? Perhaps if you gently pry it into place. I'm really not sure. Anyone else have this issue?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It’s always something, what’s up with the clutch? I wonder if I screwed something up removing the trans but the center was aligned with the crank.

View attachment 31320 View attachment 31322
No, this isn't from you removing the trans, this is torque stress on the clutch disk. Good thing you caught it now before it failed entirely, also this potentially would have eventually stressed your input shaft to the point of breaking. Not the first time I've seen this.

Definitely replace it.

Thanks, ordered new clutch... Yes, I was able to pry it back in place but not reinstalling. Car only has 5K miles... 2K put on it by me... wonder if it was my driving? Running/shifting fine.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks, ordered new clutch... Yes, I was able to pry it back in place but not reinstalling. Car only has 5K miles... 2K put on it by me... wonder if it was my driving? Running/shifting fine.
If you frequently launch the car, I would fault your driving. But if you do not, I'd say defective parts. One of my friends was like this, but it literally sheared the center piece from the clutch disc, and took out the input shaft.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This just convinces me that I cannot tackle this job myself, especially given my lack of; tools, facilities, and mostly, the skill/confidence about getting it correct. [:(]

I wish there was a reasonably priced FiST specific tuner/installation shop closer than CP-E all the way down in Spartanburg.

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
It has begun. I bought a used 2017 transmission with 8k miles on it. I will be refreshing a lot of the bearings in it, installing an LSD and replacing the final drive gear with the 4.3:1. I just received the tranny today. Once my motorcycle is sold I will be buying the rest of the components.

I need some advice. I'm currently running an X-37 turbo, so not HUGE power. I plan on replacing the clutch when I install the new transmission. Should I just stick with the OEM clutch setup or upgrade?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
It has begun. I bought a used 2017 transmission with 8k miles on it. I will be refreshing a lot of the bearings in it, installing an LSD and replacing the final drive gear with the 4.3:1. I just received the tranny today. Once my motorcycle is sold I will be buying the rest of the components.

I need some advice. I'm currently running an X-37 turbo, so not HUGE power. I plan on replacing the clutch when I install the new transmission. Should I just stick with the OEM clutch setup or upgrade?
I see no reason go upgrade IMO - I'll be sticking with OEM when I do my clutch.