Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

Erick_V

I see no reason go upgrade IMO - I'll be sticking with OEM when I do my clutch.
Should I just stick with the OEM clutch setup or upgrade?
I agree. There's people running stock clutches with big turbos and big torque hybrids. Unless your flywheel is hotspotted all over I wouldn't sweat it

haste

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same thing since I've read the stocker is pretty stout. Now, let's just hope my flywheel is in good shape. The wife tends to slip the clutch a little more than I like when she starts from a stop...

Hey All,

I installed a Wavetrac LSD in my 2014 Fiesta ST a couple months ago. I made a sheet with all the part numbers, some links, prices, and notes. I believe I listed everything on here so hopefully it will be helpful to people looking into doing this install. If there is anything you see that I forgot to add to this doc, let me know and I will add it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1adAcwv1-jLLsVmsJ_p3f63JBfCDnGxfHwhcZooGjUUw/edit?usp=sharing

Also here is a picture dump of a bunch of pictures of the install. I have some videos too I will try to add at somepoint if I remember.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6DzwV7Au2JxbKJbq8

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^How do you like the Wavetrac so far?

Does it seem to help out more when going over the curbing/lifting a wheel on track over any of the other FiSTs there with the Quaife, or MFactory diffs?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hey All,

I installed a Wavetrac LSD in my 2014 Fiesta ST a couple months ago. I made a sheet with all the part numbers, some links, prices, and notes. I believe I listed everything on here so hopefully it will be helpful to people looking into doing this install. If there is anything you see that I forgot to add to this doc, let me know and I will add it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1adAcwv1-jLLsVmsJ_p3f63JBfCDnGxfHwhcZooGjUUw/edit?usp=sharing

Also here is a picture dump of a bunch of pictures of the install. I have some videos too I will try to add at somepoint if I remember.
Thank you! So freaking helpful.

I was able to pick up these parts, BNIB for a good deal from a Facebook page. Can't wait to get these installed. May go ahead and replace axles and wheel bearings while I'm at it

IMG_20200801_111247_410.jpg

^^How do you like the Wavetrac so far?

Does it seem to help out more when going over the curbing/lifting a wheel on track over any of the other FiSTs there with the Quaife, or MFactory diffs?
It is AMAZING! Installing the LSD was a lot of work, but it is one of the best mods you can do to the car in my opinion. The way the car pulls out of corners especially low speed ones is crazy. Also the car is super predictable because you are not searching for grip as much.

I have never driven a fiesta with a Mfactory or Quaife so I can't compare them, but i can say even when going over curbing or in hard cornering the car feels amazing!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Hey All,

What size shim did you end up needing?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think that this is a dumb question but I'm unsure. Will I need to potentially adjust shims with an MFactory diff install if I do not replace the races? I think that I will given that the new bearings on the new diff may be spaced differently...?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I think that this is a dumb question but I'm unsure. Will I need to potentially adjust shims with an MFactory diff install if I do not replace the races? I think that I will given that the new bearings on the new diff may be spaced differently...?
I was told my mFactory that most of the time with their LSDs stock shim is fine. Rarely does someone need to re-shim but it does happen. Thats what I was told

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you install the bearings correctly, no you should not need to. I've put in 4 and none have needed it.

I was told my mFactory that most of the time with their LSDs stock shim is fine. Rarely does someone need to re-shim but it does happen. Thats what I was told
You don't have to necessarily have to change the shim, but you should at least check. (unless you don't care if the bearings prematurely go bad). If you have too much or not enough preload on the bearings it will cause premature wear. Yes the LSD will likely still work, maybe even for a good amount of time, but if the shim is wrong it will go bad before it would if it was correctly shimmed.

In my opinion this is a big enough job, that it is worth taking the time to make sure it is done properly the first time.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
:)

I work in a diesel shop, so I have access to a 50 ton press. I'm hoping that will make things easier.
That should definitely help. Take care not to loose any of the tiny ball detent springs. I don't know if you can buy any of the small stuff should it get lost / broken.