Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 on a 2018 model?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the response. I’m in Cali and have to deal with CARB and warranty since my car is a 2017. I like what Ive heard about the power and reliability about the MP215. However, can anybody clarify whether or not you have the MP215 tune loaded into your computer or is it loaded at a computer at Mountune or a dealer and matched to your vin number. I’m asking this because during emissions testing will I have the flexibility to marry and unmarry the tune. Do you actually own the tune at the place of purchase? Or will I have to rebuy the tune if I want to want to go back to the MP215 from stock. I live about 1.5 hours from Mountune so I would through the hassle if it was possible to switch back and forth from stock to tuned.

No need to remove it........it will pass just fine on a '17. All the testing is simply looking for codes and the Mountune does not cause codes or allow the car to exceed EPA nor CARB limits. All that happen here in TN is plug into port and look for codes, check gas cap, and a mirror to check for a cat. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Older cars get a sniff test, cat and gas cap check.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the response. I’m in Cali and have to deal with CARB and warranty since my car is a 2017. I like what Ive heard about the power and reliability about the MP215. However, can anybody clarify whether or not you have the MP215 tune loaded into your computer or is it loaded at a computer at Mountune or a dealer and matched to your vin number. I’m asking this because during emissions testing will I have the flexibility to marry and unmarry the tune. Do you actually own the tune at the place of purchase? Or will I have to rebuy the tune if I want to want to go back to the MP215 from stock. I live about 1.5 hours from Mountune so I would through the hassle if it was possible to switch back and forth from stock to tuned.
I installed the tune myself. It's truly plug-and-play. It's married to your specific car, and there's no way to undo it without a dealer, or someone else who can change the tune.

koozy

3000 Post Club
MP215 on a 2017+ in California will fail. It may not emit or pollute out of spec emissions, but would technically fail on visual for non-CARB compliant components for a 2017+ model year which would fail the whole check, period. Hard to miss that lower half aluminum intake box. Is it possible to get it to pass in CA? sure, if a tech doesn't know what they're looking at or thorough in their checks.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
MP215 on a 2017+ in California will fail. It may not emit or pollute out of spec emissions, but would fail on visual for non-CARB compliant components for a 2017+ model year which would fail the whole check, period.
This is exactly what I have been sayin for several posts. The out of state members just don’t seem to get it.

Also per Mountune’s website even though the MP215 is warranty friendly for 2014-16 . It is not listed as warranty friendly for 2017-18 which means Ford is not covering it for these years.

me32

1000 Post Club
MP215 on a 2017+ in California will fail. It may not emit or pollute out of spec emissions, but would technically fail on visual for non-CARB compliant components for a 2017+ model year which would fail the whole check, period. Hard to miss that lower half aluminum intake box. Is it possible to get it to pass in CA? sure, if a tech doesn't know what they're looking at or thorough in their checks.
Best advice in this thread so far. Lota of mis information in here

I dont live in CA, but why not go with an ST200 airbox with the MP215 tune? Looks stock and should pass your emissions per previous posts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
1 can of spray paint. The techs here in TN have NEVER popped a hood in the 20 years I have been here. Plug in, mirror check for a cat and check gas cap. No codes, zoom gone. I find it hard to believe that techs in Cali are trained on what the under hood configurations are on the thousands of car/engine types. Much less a very low volume car like ours. If somehow you do get busted put the factory box back in. I would believe the air box would fall under the M-M Act as all it does is add an additional air hose prior to any sensors and a K&N filter which is legal. I don't live in Cali, but I know it would not be any problem here, but if I did I would have no problem putting it in my car, painting it just because I wish I had done that with mine now in retrospect. The 17 hp is not a big deal, less than a 10% increase, only a .5 sec faster to 60, but the tune is what you want. The remapping makes 3rd and 4th gear pull like a train. My gas mileage also increased. It is invisible and you can always keep the stock box and drop in the K&N air filter for total stealth......FWIW.[wrenchin]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
1 can of spray paint. The techs here in TN have NEVER popped a hood in the 20 years I have been here. Plug in, mirror check for a cat and check gas cap. No codes, zoom gone. I find it hard to believe that techs in Cali are trained on what the under hood configurations are on the thousands of car/engine types. Much less a very low volume car like ours. If somehow you do get busted put the factory box back in. I would believe the air box would fall under the M-M Act as all it does is add an additional air hose prior to any sensors and a K&N filter which is legal. I don't live in Cali, but I know it would not be any problem here, but if I did I would have no problem putting it in my car, painting it just because I wish I had done that with mine now in retrospect. The 17 hp is not a big deal, less than a 10% increase, only a .5 sec faster to 60, but the tune is what you want. The remapping makes 3rd and 4th gear pull like a train. My gas mileage also increased. It is invisible and you can always keep the stock box and drop in the K&N air filter for total stealth......FWIW.[wrenchin]
Actually in truth California smog techs are well trained to spot non stock items in California. Oh and yes they do pop the hood and look as part of the inspection process.
The one saving grace here is the fact that new cars in California are smog test free for the first 5 years unless sold.. Though should you get pulled over (exhaust noise ticket etc..)or happen to hit a random rolling smog check you could be in trouble with a non stock looking air box.

Mikey456

Well it will be a few years until my warranty on my 2017 Fist runs out. I will revisit whether I want a tune. I heard another member passed CA smog with a Cobb OTS tune installed. The laws might also change too in the near future.