Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MRX Short block aux fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #41
Oh the joy. After getting everything together Mitch lined up the water pump gasket and for some unknown reason Mountune’s galley plug is interfering with it. We’ll find out tomorrow what the deal is when he calls Mountune, if he can get someone to answer the phone. As an aside, a while ago I asked about the availability of their crossover pipe for NA cars. A day later somebody emails me about an intake tube. They’re light years away from being Mountune UK let me tell you.😫

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #42
So this galley oil plug is put in by Mountune after they take out the “rivet” plug. From what Mitch was telling me this rivet can only be monkeyed with by a $20,000 tool. So they take it out, retap the hole and put in their threaded plug. Now the water pump that doesn’t fit is holding up everything. 👏👏👏

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So youre telling me that Mountune didn't re-assemble the engine after they did their tinkering to make sure everything would fit correctly after they did their tooling? WTF? That was a piss poor decision on their behalf and the machinist who made that call. I hope it gets figured out and sorted out!

slopoke

So this galley oil plug is put in by Mountune after they take out the “rivet” plug. From what Mitch was telling me this rivet can only be monkeyed with by a $20,000 tool. So they take it out, retap the hole and put in their threaded plug. Now the water pump that doesn’t fit is holding up everything. 👏👏👏
Looking at your photos. Is the plug the rather large plug with an allen wrench hole the one that's interfering with the coolant pump? If so, how much does the pump overlap the plug? Is it possible to remove material from the coolant pump, looking at the mating surface of the block. There is quite a bit of gasket area to seal the pump.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #46
So youre telling me that Mountune didn't re-assemble the engine after they did their tinkering to make sure everything would fit correctly after they did their tooling? WTF? That was a piss poor decision on their behalf and the machinist who made that call. I hope it gets figured out and sorted out!
Mountune is sending Mitch a modified plug thank the Lord Baby Jesus 🙏

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #47
Open or closed deck?
It’s an oem short block that Mountune hones and stuffs a new balanced crank and forged rods and pistons into. They prepare it to their standards and by the blueprint specs they sent me it’s “very nice” (Borat voice)

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #48
Looking at your photos. Is the plug the rather large plug with an allen wrench hole the one that's interfering with the coolant pump? If so, how much does the pump overlap the plug? Is it possible to remove material from the coolant pump, looking at the mating surface of the block. There is quite a bit of gasket area to seal the pump.
Yes it’s that plug. It wasn’t only effing with the gasket, it was keeping the pump from sitting flush as well.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #49
If they built a running engine out there I’m sure it’s running hot! After they clean out the block it drains out of that hole. To put that rivet plug back in makes no sense because nobody has that tool handy except TDavis. The stock rivet plug sits flush so hopefully the new one does also. 🙄

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #50
Update time! So after the blah blah about the plug I asked Mitch about the build and potential power output. Everything is going according to plan with a few tweaks here and there. The Rsport baffled sump had to be modded a bit and the heat shield may stay or go due to the Cerakote. The Mountune locking fastener kit is a joke for $150.
The exciting news is the V2 cams and springs were a great purchase. Looks like 320-340 hp on ethanol with only 25 psi boost needed. The cams with more lift and duration will help the car breathe more efficiently. The ported manifold helps as well. This is the setup I wanted not a ticking time bomb with 30+ lbs of boost. May 24th May 24th May 24th 🙏🙏🙏

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Update time! So after the blah blah about the plug I asked Mitch about the build and potential power output. Everything is going according to plan with a few tweaks here and there. The Rsport baffled sump had to be modded a bit and the heat shield may stay or go due to the Cerakote. The Mountune locking fastener kit is a joke for $150.
The exciting news is the V2 cams and springs were a great purchase. Looks like 320-340 hp on ethanol with only 25 psi boost needed. The cams with more lift and duration will help the car breathe more efficiently. The ported manifold helps as well. This is the setup I wanted not a ticking time bomb with 30+ lbs of boost. May 24th May 24th May 24th [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]
I’m glad you are doing this build, since I have been wanting to do it myself and it is nice to see, but your comments regarding a ticking time bomb with 30 lbs of boost are a bit misguided. I think you may be uninformed about the reliability of these motors when stock.

There are at least a dozen folks making the power you are targeting on a completely stock engine and have been doing so for tens of thousands of miles in every day driving and on track. Obviously this is your build, and this is just my opinion, but it would be great to see you shoot for 380whp with a slightly bigger turbo.

Is there a reason you went with r sport baffled sump instead of the Mountune unit? Seems odd you had to modify the unit you purchased. And can you get some photos of the oil galley plug (old and new) so we can better see the issue at hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #52
Well, I stand by my statements. High cylinder head pressure without an easy way to get out can cause exhaust gas reversion. The least amount of boost creating the most hp is the goal of any turbocharged engine tuner. Just ask them! Add high rpm and heat to the mix and melted and/or cracked pistons will become a reality.
The stock internals will put up with a lot but the head gasket is another story. Air going in and out smoothly is the goal. Cams, forged internals, ported manifold, larger efficient turbo and high flow exhaust are needed to make big power safely. Don’t forget 4 port aux fueling as well.
Ask big power FoST guys about exhaust gas reversion and their popped decks. They either upgraded their kit, went back to stock or went home. There are some FiST poppers out there too. You can fool yourself but you can’t fool your engine.

Last edited:
OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #53
As far as the Mountune baffle goes, it took over a month for them to tell me it was on back order. I think the Rsport has better features anyway but it was do or die at that point. The pic that shows their plug is all I have. Any stock block has the rivet. I’m sure once the new plug is installed and it has no fitment issues, a pic will soon follow.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #54
Yes 380 hp would be sick but I would not enjoy the lag. I wanted more power but still maintain some pep and not have to watch the tach all the time. If this makes 330 hp and still had some grunt with good spool I will be more than happy 😊

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #55
After the new engine goes in I will be donating the short block to Mitch in the name of science. So once everything is examined and measured, everyone will have a good idea what to expect their engine to look like at 100 k miles. I am curious myself because I know how I drove it and maintained it.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #56
Update: Mountune sent Mitch a new plug. They just turned down the top. So instead of waiting he just modified the existing plug to keep things moving along. I like this 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.