Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need wheel advice. 16x7 or 16x8? Rpf1 vs deka

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 660s are fairly wide treaded in the 215/40-17size, but narrower than the Nankangs (AR-1s and I'm guessing the CR-1s if they ever release that size in those as well).

That's excellent info. Thank you for your input. Do you happen to know how the 615 compares to the 660's?
Basically what I'm looking for, is a tire that gets up to temp as quickly as possible, and as sticky as possible (mountain runs).Preferably in a 215/40r17.
Not directly- a guy in our region has been running the 615+ because it is part of the Solo Spec Coupe program with SCCA. I did way better against him this year compared to last when I was on Rivals. I've heard the 660 is the better tire from those that have driven both, but I haven't.

They may wear a little quicker than REs, but the quick warm up and lower cost have converted me. I'm planning on buying another set because they did so well this season, I'm hoping to burn up the old ones at time trials next spring.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #23
Not directly- a guy in our region has been running the 615+ because it is part of the Solo Spec Coupe program with SCCA. I did way better against him this year compared to last when I was on Rivals. I've heard the 660 is the better tire from those that have driven both, but I haven't.

They may wear a little quicker than REs, but the quick warm up and lower cost have converted me. I'm planning on buying another set because they did so well this season, I'm hoping to burn up the old ones at time trials next spring.
I've been reading up on the 660's, and the only negative I've seen, is that some people were complaining about the center section of the tire separating or cording fairly early. Other than that, it looks very promising. The only other tire I was looking at was the AR-1.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #24
The 660s are fairly wide treaded in the 215/40-17size, but narrower than the Nankangs (AR-1s and I'm guessing the CR-1s if they ever release that size in those as well).
Are they wider than the Federal RS-RR's? I ran those, and they were pretty wide.

I'm pretty surprised no one mentionned the Hankook RS4. I remember the RS3 were the rage back when I was in the Miata community. I'd guess the RS4 might be as good.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #26
I'm pretty surprised no one mentionned the Hankook RS4. I remember the RS3 were the rage back when I was in the Miata community. I'd guess the RS4 might be as good.
Do they make the RS4 in a 205 or 215/40r17?

RS4s are a track focused tire, very popular with the endurance racing crowd, whereas stuff like the RE71Rs and RT660s are more AutoX focused. My understanding is that the 615+ is the older Falken tire and can function in both situations, but isn't the best in either. Various 200TW tires function best at different tire temperatures, but they also wear at different rates, particularly when considering temperature.

Regarding TemecFist's question about the RPF-1s for sale on the forum. I think that would be a fine choice. You have to make a personal decision about price/objectives. What are you hoping to do with this wheel/tire setup?

ronmcdon

Not sure if helpful but I think Oakos that vendor is offering buy 3 get one free for the 16x7 rpf1s with the deal ending on 12/4. their 16x8 deal was pretty reasonably priced too. only drawback is the 16x8 is available only in bronze colour.

in terms of the hankook rs4, I think tirerack had problems sourcing them. they were my first choice when I was looking for a set of 16/205ish size tire, but settled direzza z3's (also back ordered by over a month) when I found out the RS4's might be delayed as far as Apr next year. Hope that isn't the case for 17" tire sizes. If anyone can get 16/205 or 215 size RS4's would be great to know!

From what I've read online, it seems RS4s are produced/shipped over here once a year. There is inventory, until there isn't and then you have to wait until the next year.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are they wider than the Federal RS-RR's? I ran those, and they were pretty wide.
Yes, I also have the RS-RRs on my 17x8 1.2s and they are DEFINITELY narrower in tread width (7.7") than the 660s @ 7.9" (or the older Z2 Direzzas @8.0" and even the newer Z3 Dunlop Direzzas @7.9").

The Nankang AR-1s are 8.2" in tread width!! [crazyeye] [thumb]

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #31
Yes, I also have the RS-RRs on my 17x8 1.2s and they are DEFINITELY narrower in tread width (7.7") than the 660s @ 7.9" (or the older Z2 Direzzas @8.0" and even the newer Z3 Dunlop Direzzas @7.9").

The Nankang AR-1s are 8.2" in tread width!! [crazyeye] [thumb]
Holy Moly!!! So if you had to choose, best tire (stickiest, gets up to temp fastest, not worry about wear/life) in a 215/40r17.....which would you choose?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Holy Moly!!! So if you had to choose, best tire (stickiest, gets up to temp fastest, not worry about wear/life) in a 215/40r17.....which would you choose?
Price no problem/factor, and being able to dial in enough negative camber (IF you are using them on a road course, or for serious, 'for the win' autocrossing) the A052s which are also 7.9" tread width.

Other wise, the AR-1s, albeit they will most likely wear even quicker yet on the street (if that's your main use, i.e.; canyon runs) than the A052s, which already have a rep for burning down way too quickly. [:(]

The 660s would probably be the best 'compromise' given their price, half decent wear rate, and the fact that you (even in Cali's heat) most likely would NOT shred/tear that center tread strip in the canyons, like the autocrossers do. [wink] [thumb]

Last edited:
OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #33
Price no problem/factor, and being able to dial in enough negative camber (IF you are using them on a road course, or for serious, 'for the win' autocrossing) the A052s which are also 7.9" tread width.

Other wise, the AR-1s, albeit they will most likely wear even quicker yet on the street (if that's your main use, i.e.; canyon runs) than the A052s, which already have a rep for burning down way too quickly. [:(]

The 660s would probably be the best 'compromise' given their price, half decent wear rate, and the fact that you (even in Cali's heat) most likely would NOT shred/tear that center tread strip in the canyons, like the autocrossers do. [wink] [thumb]
How much camber are you talking about needing? Right now I've got -3.6* in the front, and -2.8* in the rear.
Will those A052's or AR-1's fit on the stock wheelI? Your right, I'm basically looking for the fastest canyon tire. I need it to get up to temp asap. I'm still going to run my R888r's for the track, I like them (toying with the AR-1 tho also).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^From what I am hearing as feedback from autocrossers and open trackers/etc. -3.0* in front is about right/a good starting point, so you have more than 'enough', especially for street use.

They would both fit on the factory wheels in that size, but they are not ideal on a 7" wide wheel.
Keep in mind though, that the Yoks, even on DTD's 'Flash Sales' or Black Friday/Cyber Week, etc. sales, are NOT exactly an inexpensive tire.

kevinatfms

15s with 225/45 will likely rub a little on full compression while turning unless you run a really high rate or pretty firm damper settings (at least if you are lowered). I run 15x8 with 205/50 and I rub a little but under load and when going into some angled driveways. Im about 2.5 inches lower than stock with Yellowspeed coilovers (6k front and 3k rear spring rates) dampers are set to 10/30 clicks all around for daily driving comfort

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
225/45R15's work without any rub on cars that aren't slammed. Do you track this car? I cant imagine the bump steer issues hitting curbs at 2.5" lower than stock. My tie rods at 1.0" lower than stock are about level at rest.

kevinatfms

Now I'm really in a dilemma. Lol. They dont make an re71r in a 215/45r16. they do make a 225/50r16 tho
i wish someone would make a 225/40R16. That would fill in the niche for a car that uses a 23" tire but needs a 16" diameter for brake purposes.

225/50R16 is a monster truck tire compared to our usual sizes.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #37
^^^From what I am hearing as feedback from autocrossers and open trackers/etc. -3.0* in front is about right/a good starting point, so you have more than 'enough', especially for street use.

They would both fit on the factory wheels in that size, but they are not ideal on a 7" wide wheel.
Keep in mind though, that the Yoks, even on DTD's 'Flash Sales' or Black Friday/Cyber Week, etc. sales, are NOT exactly an inexpensive tire.
Thanks M-sport. When I say "street" use, that means a mountain or canyon run, not DD, lol
I know what you mean tho. What about the Z3's? The issue I'm having now, is that when I'm doing a mountain run, I cant get the r888r's up to temp, no matter how hard I drive them (and I drive it HARD). My thought process (and I could/prob be wrong) is that an AX tire would be easier to get up to temp. Is my thought process wrong?
You are right, those Yoke's are pretty expensive! Lol. The AR-1's look really good, but not if they wear faster than the Yoke's. It's a fine balancing act I guess. I dont mind paying for a sticky tire for "street" use, but only 3k miles will get expensive really quick.

That's excellent info. Thank you for your input. Do you happen to know how the 615 compares to the 660's?
Basically what I'm looking for, is a tire that gets up to temp as quickly as possible, and as sticky as possible (mountain runs).Preferably in a 215/40r17.
The 660 is much stickier, heats up quicker and wears faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT660’s are stickier than RS4’s. RS4’s wear better and take longer to heat up. I’ve ran both on my ND back to back. I like the RS4 as a street tire due to its wear characteristics and the RT660 as an AutoX tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

615k+ don't really compare in my opinion to the new 660rt. I've run both on the street/track and the maintained grip that you get from the new 660 is worlds above the older tire. The 615 would usually (for me) be good for like 2-3 laps, then would fall off (grip would lessen and laps would be less consistant) and you could expect your best run on lap 2 mayb lap 3.

The 660rt (for me) holds grip longer and I find myself still setting fast laps on 4-5 and still keeping consistence laptime there after.