Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need wheel advice. 16x7 or 16x8? Rpf1 vs deka

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks M-sport. When I say "street" use, that means a mountain or canyon run, not DD, lol
I know what you mean tho. What about the Z3's? The issue I'm having now, is that when I'm doing a mountain run, I cant get the r888r's up to temp, no matter how hard I drive them (and I drive it HARD). My thought process (and I could/prob be wrong) is that an AX tire would be easier to get up to temp. Is my thought process wrong?
You are right, those Yoke's are pretty expensive! Lol. The AR-1's look really good, but not if they wear faster than the Yoke's. It's a fine balancing act I guess. I dont mind paying for a sticky tire for "street" use, but only 3k miles will get expensive really quick.
The Z3s would be good, and probably have the best wear characteristics of the whole bunch (I am now sorry that I did not go with the Z2s way back in '17 when I first got the 1.2s, instead of the RS-RRs, both for their tread width/square shoulders, and for being at least slightly quieter above 30 MPH).

But I am not sure if they would would come up to temps fast enough for you, or your canyon run uses.

Maybe those who currently own them in a 215/40-17 can chime in here. [wink]

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #42
Inhas
The Z3s would be good, and probably have the best wear characteristics of the whole bunch (I am now sorry that I did not go with the Z2s way back in '17 when I first got the 1.2s, instead of the RS-RRs, both for their tread width/square shoulders, and for being at least slightly quieter above 30 MPH).

But I am not sure if they would would come up to temps fast enough for you, or your canyon run uses.

Maybe those who currently own them in a 215/40-17 can chime in here. [wink]
A set of RS-RR's, they were great for their price point, but I could just never get enough heat in them on the street. I think that will be the issue with the majority of "track" tires, which is why I'm starting to look at AX tires.
I wish I wouldve tried those Zii's also. Lol. Maybe I'll try the ziii's.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #43
RS4s are a track focused tire, very popular with the endurance racing crowd, whereas stuff like the RE71Rs and RT660s are more AutoX focused. My understanding is that the 615+ is the older Falken tire and can function in both situations, but isn't the best in either. Various 200TW tires function best at different tire temperatures, but they also wear at different rates, particularly when considering temperature.

Regarding TemecFist's question about the RPF-1s for sale on the forum. I think that would be a fine choice. You have to make a personal decision about price/objectives. What are you hoping to do with this wheel/tire setup?
My thought process was to get those RPF-1's, and just use the tried and true RE-71r's with them.

OP
TemecFist

TemecFist

Thread Starter #44
Yes, I also have the RS-RRs on my 17x8 1.2s and they are DEFINITELY narrower in tread width (7.7") than the 660s @ 7.9" (or the older Z2 Direzzas @8.0" and even the newer Z3 Dunlop Direzzas @7.9").

The Nankang AR-1s are 8.2" in tread width!! [crazyeye] [thumb]
Phil's can get me those AR-1's, heat cycled and shipped for $650ish. Not too bad

For street purposes, I don't think you want a tire which benefits from heat cycling.
I think you're over thinking this. It's one thing to drive in a mildly irresponsible manner, but if you're actually making use of what competition tires, or even 200tw tires have to offer on the street, other than say a bit of the steering response, you probably need to rethink your actions. In my experience narrower tires can give a car a more lively feeling on the street than wider tires. I'd pick a half decent 7" wheel, pick a 205 Conti ECS, Firestone Indy 500, or if you must RE71R/RT660 and call it a day.

ronmcdon

I live in socal close to mulholland canyons and west la sections of sunset. I drive there quite a bit. have used firehawk 500s, the discontinued re-11's, dunlop z2s, z3s, and michelin p4S. maybe my skill level isn't quite up there but haven't noticed any significant difference whether im on the firehawk 500s vs the dunlop z3's when it comes to canyon carving. recently replaced my firehawk 500's with overkill rt660s for no good reason on my daily beater civic hybrid (mods are Si rear swaybar, koni yellow/swift spring, 17x8 rpf1's, -1.5 neg camber all around) and while the rt660 gave better feedback, I think the advantage is pretty minimal. If I had to do it again, I would have just gotten another set of firehawk 500s to save money. I really like the michelin P4S but I struggle to justify the premium over the 500's (both are around 340tw iirc).

Dunlop Z3's/Z2's/Z2 star specs are my typical go to tire for a street and occasional non-competitive tire hpde application. Have probably owned around a dozen or so sets throughout the years on different cars. Have a set on my evo and have another set in my garage now for my fiesta. Does it heat up fast enough? For my skill level yes, but I don't think I push it on the canyon more the 8/10, maybe a little more if im being irresponsible and playing with another car. I want the tire to last a little longer, not get too greasy during 20-45 min laps and the Z3s I think excel at that. AutoX is not my thing, so have no interest in the re-71s. Would also consider the RS4 but they are sometimes a hassle to get ahold of whereas the Z3s are pretty easy to get ahold of.

ronmcdon