Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Planning a turbo upgrade and I need some help please lol

OP
D
Thread Starter #61
Yeah man any time! Hopefully this winter I will have one and if you don't have one by then I will tell you how it is haha
Btw idk if you know or not but there a vid of a DHM kit vs x37 kit and they were pretty much even. & ive seen some of his "pull vids" and he goes about 85-90mph in 3rd redline and I've seen other people's videos with the x37 and seems like they are somewhat in the same range. Why is the DHM quick spool cost almost $3800 and the full x37 kit about $2500(if sent turbo then about $2000+)?? Is it just a bigger turbo on the DHM so you can tune it higher eventually? IM NOT TALKING BAD ABOUT ANY PRODUCT, Just curious, I don't want to make a bad purchase and be upset and spend more on a different set up later on. Or a purchase I didn't need to make because something else was better.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Btw idk if you know or not but there a vid of a DHM kit vs x37 kit and they were pretty much even. & ive seen some of his "pull vids" and he goes about 85-90mph in 3rd redline and I've seen other people's videos with the x37 and seems like they are somewhat in the same range. Why is the DHM quick spool cost almost $3800 and the full x37 kit about $2500(if sent turbo then about $2000+)?? Is it just a bigger turbo on the DHM so you can tune it higher eventually? IM NOT TALKING BAD ABOUT ANY PRODUCT, Just curious, I don't want to make a bad purchase and be upset and spend more on a different set up later on. Or a purchase I didn't need to make because something else was better.
I'll be honest... The X37 will never hit those claimed numbers safely, especially on the stock exhaust manifold. Now, let's pull back the veil a little bit on pricing of the X37: turbo is about $2000. Then you'll need supporting mods, intercooler, and dowpipe possibly, so $500 if you're a penny-pincher who doesn't mind knock-offs, or at least a $1k in good parts. Then you need meth, which can range from $500-$800, depending on your safety options... You'll also need to live near an ethanol station. So, you're looking at $3000-$3800 to be limited at the real life numbers of 280whp. Keep in mind that number assumes you don't have any supporting mods already, aka bone stock. In the same case of a bone stock car, with DHMs Quick Spool kit, you can get all your supporting mods (downpipe, and intercooler) and 250whp with room to grow to about 330whp, for $4100 without the need for meth at all. This is a base for base comparison.

So to answer your question, X37 is going to be maxed out, while Quick Spool has room to grow safely.

Based

I'll be honest... The X37 will never hit those claimed numbers safely, especially on the stock exhaust manifold. Now, let's pull back the veil a little bit on pricing of the X37: turbo is about $2000. Then you'll need supporting mods, intercooler, and dowpipe possibly, so $500 if you're a penny-pincher who doesn't mind knock-offs, or at least a $1k in good parts. Then you need meth, which can range from $500-$800, depending on your safety options... You'll also need to live near an ethanol station. So, you're looking at $3000-$3800 to be limited at the real life numbers of 280whp. Keep in mind that number assumes you don't have any supporting mods already, aka bone stock. In the same case of a bone stock car, with DHMs Quick Spool kit, you can get all your supporting mods (downpipe, and intercooler) and 250whp with room to grow to about 330whp, for $4100 without the need for meth at all. This is a base for base comparison.

So to answer your question, X37 is going to be maxed out, while Quick Spool has room to grow safely.
why do you NEED meth for the x37? Also the turbo itself is only like $1300 if you send your core back.

Basically this. What you (the OP) need to do is figure out how much power you want, and what you want this car to be.

The X37 is $1,400 w/ Actuator after you ship your core.
The DHM kit is $3,650 (but does include a DP).

Is the price difference worth it? To some like Hijinx it absolutely is, to others like me there's no way in hell it's worth the 2K+ difference in price. Both setups require supporting mods so I find that point moot.

why do you NEED meth for the x37? Also the turbo itself is only like $1300 if you send your core back.
x2. The turbo is $1,299 without the actuator and $1399.99 with the actuator. Not sure where he is getting those numbers.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You don't, but if you want those claimed high numbers you will.

Basically this. What you (OP) need to do is figure out how much power you want, and what you want this car to be.

The X37 is $1,400 w/ Actuator after you ship your core.
The DHM kit is $3,650 (but does include a DP).

Is the price difference worth it? To some like Hijinx it absolutely is, to others like me there's no way in hell it's worth the 2K+ difference in price. Both setups require supporting mods so I find that point moot.

x2. The turbo is $1,299 without the actuator and $1399.99 with the actuator. Not sure where he is getting those numbers.
I stand corrected on the numbers. I do not believe that supporting mods are a moot point, especially because they're needed. Anyway, my point remains; X37, while cheaper, is much more limited (and safer which equals longevity) than the more expensive Quick Spool. Now, if you plan on only ever running 230-240whp, go for it. But, if there's a shadow of doubt, Quick Spool is the way to go, because otherwise, you'll end up spending your money twice.

Please keep in mind that I am not against the X37; what I'm against, is some of the more lofty claims surrounding it and the level to which you have to push your car to achieve those claims. Other than that, I think it's a great option for what it really is; a wide powerband, mid 200whp turbo.

You don't, but if you want those claimed high numbers you will.

I stand corrected on the numbers. I do not believe that supporting mods are a moot point, especially because they're needed.
First things first, I respect that you simply apologize and correct yourself. I feel like tons of people these days will come up with excuse X, Y, and Z instead of just owning up to a simple mistake. [like]

The reason supporting mods are moot is because every system (Mainly X37 and DHM) that will get the OP the numbers he wants will require the same supporting mods minus the DHM which comes with a DP. He is looking to get 300-350 crank hp. You will at the very least need an intercooler, DP, and intake (debatable). So both systems require the same supporting mods, that makes them moot in my eyes. I purchased all of those my stage 3 mods for $550 shipped anyways (Depo IC, Depo DP, Used Cobb Filter), so it's not a huge charge or anything and I feel like the general atmosphere around tends to think those mods are quality parts and effective. If one system required different mods, then it would be a reasonable point.

Anyway, my point remains; X37, while cheaper, is much more limited (and safer which equals longevity) than the more expensive Quick Spool. Now, if you plan on only ever running 230-240whp, go for it. But, if there's a shadow of doubt, Quick Spool is the way to go, because otherwise, you'll end up spending your money twice.

Please keep in mind that I am not against the X37; what I'm against, is some of the more lofty claims surrounding it and the level to which you have to push your car to achieve those claims. Other than that, I think it's a great option for what it really is; a wide powerband, mid 200whp turbo.
Where are these people that are making these claims that you seem to be so concentrated on? No one is claiming a standard X37 will make 300+whp. On the other hand, it's safe to say the X37 will make 250-270 whp on 93-E30 respectively while being 1/2 the cost and maintaining a very stock like spool with a 100% stock looking appearance. God forbid you have to take the car into a warranty claim. You think he will have a bigger problem with a car that has bolt-on's in the techs eyes, or one that clearly has a big turbo, different manifold, external dump etc. I think the X37 is the right turbo for 90% of the people here. The debate is whether the OP fits into the X37/Cyborg group better or the DHM group better. Simple as that.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
First things first, I respect that you simply apologize and correct yourself. I feel like tons of people these days will come up with excuse X, Y, and Z instead of just owning up to a simple mistake. [like]

The reason supporting mods are moot is because every system (Mainly X37 and DHM) that will get the OP the numbers he wants will require the same supporting mods minus the DHM which comes with a DP. He is looking to get 300-350 crank hp. You will at the very least need an intercooler, DP, and intake (debatable). So both systems require the same supporting mods, that makes them moot in my eyes. I purchased all of those my stage 3 mods for $550 shipped anyways (Depo IC, Depo DP, Used Cobb Filter), so it's not a huge charge or anything and I feel like the general atmosphere around tends to think those mods are quality parts and effective. If one system required different mods, then it would be a reasonable point.

Where are these people that are making these claims that you seem to be so concentrated on? No one is claiming a standard X37 will make 300+whp. On the other hand, it's safe to say the X37 will make 250-270 whp on 93-E30 respectively while being 1/2 the cost and maintaining a very stock like spool with a 100% stock looking appearance. God forbid you have to take the car into a warranty claim. You think he will have a bigger problem with a car that has bolt-on's in the techs eyes, or one that clearly has a big turbo, different manifold, external dump etc. I think the X37 is the right turbo for 90% of the people here. The debate is whether the OP fits into the X37/Cyborg group better or the DHM group better. Simple as that.
I'm not sure if you've seen the hype train around it. Or if you've seen how much crap I caught from Adam and some of his staunch X37 supporters... I've been insulted for speaking on the X37. It is very much touted as a 300whp - 320whp capable system. While the average numbers are addressed, the big numbers are what the marketing of the X37 stress the most and for that "90%" it's unrealistic. The marketing tactics are aimed to entice, but unfair by placing the emphasis on those bigger numbers. It's campaign is designed so that when a person buys, in the back of their mind they believe that they are getting something more capable than what it really is. My aim has always been to intercept the lie from both Pumaspeed and Tune+. Yes, you've seen a 3XXwhp dyno from a guy in South Africa who barely posts, and a 298whp vDyno. But, we've also seen a X37 with meth, and E30 (IIRC) see 280-something on a dyno video, which is the truth. Anyone would be hard-pressed to see 300whp on this turbo, especially if they're concerned about the safety and reliability of their car. In short, yes, Tune+, Pumaspeed and their most aggressive supporters do claim that the X37 is a 300whp "capable" turbo.

As far as your reasoning for the supporting mods being a moot point, I can understand and accept where you're coming from, but since DHMs Kit comes with a downpipe, BOV, and wastegate, I'll have to agree to disagree.

If someone is warranty conscience but still wants a little more and will accept the risk, then this is the turbo for them. However, they need to be aware of what they're actually getting. If someone doesn't mind asking if they should go X37 or DHM, they're probably not too worried about a warranty though. I believe that between the two systems it's a question of money spent, possible growth, safety, and reliability. If you were to say you want all of those things, without doubt, DHM takes it 3/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based

I wish there were videos of x37 on 93 doing some pulls as well as the quick spool...

The quick spool says it spools between 3000-4000 rpm that seems very laggy to me. Like does that mean you don't even start boost until 3k?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I wish there were videos of x37 on 93 doing some pulls as well as the quick spool...

The quick spool says it spools between 3000-4000 rpm that seems very laggy to me. Like does that mean you don't even start boost until 3k?
This is a GT290r vDyno. I'm posting it so you can see the spool.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Here is spool for a X37. Both cars on E30.

Based

Hmm it seems like the quick spool is actually a lot smoother

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure if you've seen the hype train around it. Or if you've seen how much crap I caught from Adam and some of his staunch X37 supporters... I've been insulted for speaking on the X37. It is very much touted as a 300whp - 320whp capable system. While the average numbers are addressed, the big numbers are what the marketing of the X37 stress the most and for that "90%" it's unrealistic. The marketing tactics are aimed to entice, but unfair by placing the emphasis on those bigger numbers. It's campaign is designed so that when a person buys, in the back of their mind they believe that they are getting something more capable than what it really is. My aim has always been to intercept the lie from both Pumaspeed and Tune+. Yes, you've seen a 3XXwhp dyno from a guy in South Africa who barely posts, and a 298whp vDyno. But, we've also seen a X37 with meth, and E30 (IIRC) see 280-something on a dyno video, which is the truth. Anyone would be hard-pressed to see 300whp on this turbo, especially if they're concerned about the safety and reliability of their car. In short, yes, Tune+, Pumaspeed and their most aggressive supporters do claim that the X37 is a 300whp "capable" turbo.

As far as your reasoning for the supporting mods being a moot point, I can understand and accept where you're coming from, but since DHMs Kit comes with a downpipe, BOV, and wastegate, I'll have to agree to disagree.

If someone is warranty conscience but still wants a little more and will accept the risk, then this is the turbo for them. However, they need to be aware of what they're actually getting. If someone doesn't mind asking if they should go X37 or DHM, they're probably not too worried about a warranty though. I believe that between the two systems it's a question of money spent, possible growth, safety, and reliability. If you were to say you want all of those things, without doubt, DHM takes it 3/4.

Now that's a great post.[^]

Based

I've always felt like there was more to that story than meets the eye.

In the comments I saw the guy with the DHM setup said his car was having some troubles and was only making 273whp. But still 270whp is a lot and that x37 must've been putting out like 285whp if that is the case. Keep in mind they are both on e30.

OP
D
Thread Starter #77
I'm already stg 3 Cobb with all the support mods for it.(upgraded intercooler,catlessdownpipe,exhaust,intake,motor mount,bov) so if I get the x37 kit it will contain the manifold,turbo,and the 2 other pipes I just can't remember the name lol but it will be around $2500 no core
The DHM kit I will need a a downpipe from them because it's different(looks gnarly in a good way lol) and so i will just need to buy the turbo,manifold,downpipe, and WG. Quick spool kit will be under $3800
So idk if I understood correctly the quick spool kit will safely reach me at close to 300hp on 91 and the x37 will be maxed out and I will also need to buy a meth kit to be close? I have seen the video(x37vsDHM) also and was the guy with the x37 running meth while DHM was not? Cuz if the dude in the x37 wasn't on meth and was up there with the DHM on the same type of fuel....I don't see a point in buying the DHM over the x37. But The dude did comment saying he didn't know why he was only pushing around 270something also so I'm kinda thinking that there must be something else to that video. Does anybody possibly have a dyno pic of x37 on 91 and a DHM on 91?

OP
D
Thread Starter #78
I mean unless the DHM will be pushing about 260-280 on 91 then I understand but aren't they supposed to be easy 300hp+?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm already stg 3 Cobb with all the support mods for it.(upgraded intercooler,catlessdownpipe,exhaust,intake,motor mount,bov) so if I get the x37 kit it will contain the manifold,turbo,and the 2 other pipes I just can't remember the name lol but it will be around $2500 no core
The DHM kit I will need a a downpipe from them because it's different(looks gnarly in a good way lol) and so i will just need to buy the turbo,manifold,downpipe, and WG. Quick spool kit will be under $3800
So idk if I understood correctly the quick spool kit will safely reach me at close to 300hp on 91 and the x37 will be maxed out and I will also need to buy a meth kit to be close? I have seen the video(x37vsDHM) also and was the guy with the x37 running meth while DHM was not? Cuz if the dude in the x37 wasn't on meth and was up there with the DHM on the same type of fuel....I don't see a point in buying the DHM over the x37. But The dude did comment saying he didn't know why he was only pushing around 270something also so I'm kinda thinking that there must be something else to that video. Does anybody possibly have a dyno pic of x37 on 91 and a DHM on 91?
The Quick Spool Kit will come with the downpipe, manifold, wastegate, BOV, braided oil and coolant lines, and tune. On E30, the X37 will max around 250-270whp. Same fuel would be 310-330 on the DHM Kit. I'll see if I can find you a 91 dyno for the DHM.

OP, this is a no contest. If you're street racing and want big numbers or to pull on some much more expensive cars just go DHM. With the x37 on 91 you'd be lucky to see 240 to the wheels on a decently safe tune.

I went for a hybrid turbo (which isn't in yet) and I'll be running 93 oct. I'm hoping to have 240 to the wheels on a safe tune as this is my daily driver and I occasionally track the car. With an x37 on 91 no one is going to look at your car and say, "holy shit-snacks that's a fast-ass car" but it seems that's what you're really after. I'm not trying to belittle at all I know how fun it'd be to smash a v6 mustang or 370z in a street race with a FiST. I've taken my FiST (currently stg3) up to the Nurburgring a few times and embarrassed a few BMWs and 370s and that definitely felt a lot better than just getting a faster lap. Do yourself a huge favor and just go big on this one. For what you want you wont regret it.