Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poor dyno run Mountune MR230

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If possible if you know could you please post the RPM the max torque was achieved at.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought Mountunes power specs were for USDM cars only?

If OP bought a USDM MR230 package wouldn't it be wrong?

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well, this talk is interesting, I have an upgraded inlet and crossover as well and I noticed my peak HP is bit lower than most others, on ethanol tunes I still only show about 212HP while 233 is "claimed" to be made on ethanol... But in this case I wonder if part of this is that power claim is based on BHP and not WHP?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I really believe this dyno result is not correct the math just doesn't make sense.
Horsepower has a direct relation to torque how could he be getting 300 pounds of torque with such a low horsepower number. 110 kilowatts equals 147 horsepower. 406nm equals 300 pounds of torque.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I really believe this dyno result is not correct the math just doesn't make sense.
Horsepower has a direct relation to torque how could he be getting 300 pounds of torque with such a low horsepower number. 110 kilowatts equals 147 horsepower. 406nm equals 300 pounds of torque.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

His AFRs go very rich halfway through the pull, but we can't see what his boost is doing. Posting the log from the pull would explain a lot here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
jurule20
Thread Starter #26
If possible if you know could you please post the RPM the max torque was achieved at.

It was a dyno day and thats all the data they gave me sadly

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

OP
jurule20
Thread Starter #27
If there is a leak from the turbo elbow then surely that would cause a drop in power at the top end? The elbow with no gasket is concerning me so im gonna put the stocky back on. Its gotta be the most likely culprit surely?

OP
jurule20
Thread Starter #28
Well, this talk is interesting, I have an upgraded inlet and crossover as well and I noticed my peak HP is bit lower than most others, on ethanol tunes I still only show about 212HP while 233 is "claimed" to be made on ethanol... But in this case I wonder if part of this is that power claim is based on BHP and not WHP?
No gasket?

OP
jurule20
Thread Starter #30
Nope, Ron told me it wasn't needed at all, I just made sure I got those screws nice and snug... In hindsight, a very, very thin later of sealant prob wouldn't hurt, but it went on nice and flat with no gaps.
Yeah it was pretty fidly in there so maybe i didnt get the bolts tight enough with the allen key. Also the silicone coupler may be a point of a leak where it slides onto the top of the elbow. It isnt as a perfect fit as the stock elbow. Likely to be user error though. Ive been known to screw up here n there [emoji51]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You would just be sucking in unfiltered air. Boost is made after the inlet.
There is no way you can make 300 pounds of torque with 147 horsepower. A dyno that doesn't even tell you at what RPM the power was made at is worthless.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah it was pretty fidly in there so maybe i didnt get the bolts tight enough with the allen key. Also the silicone coupler may be a point of a leak where it slides onto the top of the elbow. It isnt as a perfect fit as the stock elbow. Likely to be user error though. Ive been known to screw up here n there [emoji51]
I CAN say for sure that the silicone piece from the crossover to inlet had an excess of material ( about twice as long as needed) to accommodate different fitments apparently. I definitely had a leak at first until I REALLY tightened down the crossover to inlet connection, just making sure not so tight that would break anything, of course...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You would just be sucking in unfiltered air. Boost is made after the inlet.
There is no way you can make 300 pounds of torque with 147 horsepower. A dyno that doesn't even tell you at what RPM the power was made at is worthless.
Agreed, super weird it gives a torque rating, at 0 RPM, and no RPM's labelled at all... May have been better off just using vDyno and dialing in all the right settings like weight, tire size, temp, atmospheric pressure while using DynoJet on smoothing 2 to get a rating to compare with others.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Agreed, super weird it gives a torque rating, at 0 RPM, and no RPM's labelled at all... May have been better off just using vDyno and dialing in all the right settings like weight, tire size, temp, atmospheric pressure while using DynoJet on smoothing 2 to get a rating to compare with others.
Based on the dyno results I have seen the car makes Max torque at around 3,500 RPM.
So 300 pounds of torque x 3500 /5252 equals 200 horsepower at 3500 RPM.

For him to have hit 300 pounds of torque and only 147 horsepower he would have had to hit Max torque at 2600 RPM.

His torque would have had to immediately collapse after 2600 RPM to not achieve more horsepower.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This is very possible with a low RPM long stroke diesel engine, but I have never seen a gas engine behave in that manner.

10.5 AFR to me indicates a leak, and always go back to the last part you installed/worked on. 99% of the time that's where your problem will be. @Ford ST is correct in that a diesel would make tq that low but I can't believe our cars would. Id go through all your clamps and couplers from the turbo outlet to the throttle body. Check for couplers that may be slipping off slightly

Also "claimed" hp with a certain list of mods and a tune doesn't always mean you'll achieve similar numbers, engine health and volumetric efficiency are the big factors here. What someones engine makes with same miles, mods, and tune doesn't mean another will (let alone the difference in dyno manufactures, loaded, and unloaded as well). While I agree OP has an issue somewhere given is very low numbers, dyno figures are something I don't chase. How it feels in response, handling, and looking at logs when I take them is peace of mind for me. Long story short dyno's aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
10.5 AFR to me indicates a leak, and always go back to the last part you installed/worked on. 99% of the time that's where your problem will be. @Ford ST is correct in that a diesel would make tq that low but I can't believe our cars would. Id go through all your clamps and couplers from the turbo outlet to the throttle body. Check for couplers that may be slipping off slightly
But, you guys can't ignore the fact that it is rated for a lot of torque at a very low RPM, I though we have always known and affectionately and not so affectionately call our tiny turbo a "diesel" turbo, right? Sure, it's not a twin scroll, that also have big torque super low, but ours makes up for it by being tiny but runs out of steam on top like a diesel.

As far as OP's prob, the boost seems a little low for the full-on MR230, that's definitely above a "Cobb Stage 3" that hits 24psi... Then on top of that, how it goes rich all suddenly, I'd have to say boost leak too, maybe even uninstall and reflash just to be sure.

But, you guys can't ignore the fact that it is rated for a lot of torque at a very low RPM, I though we have always known and affectionately and not so affectionately call our tiny turbo a "diesel" turbo, right? Sure, it's not a twin scroll, that also have big torque super low, but ours makes up for it by being tiny but runs out of steam on top like a diesel.

As far as OP's prob, the boost seems a little low for the full-on MR230, that's definitely above a "Cobb Stage 3" that hits 24psi... Then on top of that, how it goes rich all suddenly, I'd have to say boost leak too, maybe even uninstall and reflash just to be sure.
I guess what you consider tiny is subjective as far as a diesel turbo. A class 8 truck will make well over 30 pounds like it’s nothing and they’re definitely not what I would call small. I suggested he look for couplers almost off because you can drive around with a loose coupler that will leak under boost. While the tune can’t be ruled out I really doubt that’s the issue. Without more data or a log that’s my best guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I guess what you consider tiny is subjective as far as a diesel turbo. A class 8 truck will make well over 30 pounds like it’s nothing and they’re definitely not what I would call small. I suggested he look for couplers almost off because you can drive around with a loose coupler that will leak under boost. While the tune can’t be ruled out I really doubt that’s the issue. Without more data or a log that’s my best guess
Well, near instant spool without a lot up top is what I mean, and our turbo can hit peaks of 27 psi, depending... but of course in general with a stock turbo you are looking at ~23.75 psi with the stock WGA through the powerband... but yeah, I tend to agree with you, a leak that becomes worse under higher psi would have symptoms like that; limited peak psi and the AFR going rich like that because too much air getting in elsewhere.