Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poor mileage loss of boost issue

Dpro

6000 Post Club
sounds like you could be running rich. I know when I went to stage 3 stock turbo tune my car started eating gas. I average around 24mpg combined on the straight freeway I do much better. Though get in any in town driving and fuel just gets sucked down. I don’t drive with the lightest of foots either though. lol It will be interesting to see what happens after the s280 goes and I am dyno tuned . That happens on Nov10-11.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #22
Would there be any reason to think the HPFP tappet would be worn out at my mileage? I have been tuned for 30,000 miles and my hybrid turbo has about 45k miles.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Would there be any reason to think the HPFP tappet would be worn out at my mileage? I have been tuned for 30,000 miles and my hybrid turbo has about 45k miles.

Highly doubt it* but if you wanna do it...Go for it!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club

I've wondered that same thing with my car. I don't take it easy on it though and get about 25mpg. If I visit my parents which is about a 190 mile trip each way I average about 29-30mpg. I've had my hybrid for almost 50k miles now and my engine is at 86k miles

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Take out the cam bucket and set a metal flat edge across it and take a feeler gauge preferably a offset Feeler gauge go in between the cam bucket and flat edge. That will tell you how much it is worn.

OP
D
Thread Starter #26
Update:

Ordered up an evap harness! My girlfriend pulled the dipstick and saw my engine oil was at the max line....wtf!! I grabbed the dipper and immediately smelt gas and oil. So all in all bad mileage, loss of boost and running slightly rich. If you want to find it slightly cheaper check out https://www.lascoautoparts.com/oem-parts/ford-2015-2016-ford-fiesta-fuel-vapor-tube-1-6-l-d2bz9c047e

I was lucky enough to find a 5% discount floating around on Google. Grand total was $138.43 just slightly less than most others. Under the impression at the moment that the valve was stuck open I'm not sure how this happens at 40k miles, but it did and I have a hunch this may continue to happen down the road for many people; including myself. Tuned or factory this will persist. This valve getting stuck open caused fuel vapor to form so heavily that it saturated the combustion chamber and worked its way down into the oil system, thinned out the oil and caused seepage through my valve cover gasket leaking onto my exhaust manifold heat shield! I am very grateful I caught this in time, the fucking FiST could have went ablaze..... With my gf and I in it.

Would this pooled vapor be considered unmetered fuel?

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #27
It all came back again even after swapping out the evap harness. I'm pulling injectors this weekend inspecting and then sending out to RC injectors. Fuel smell on dipstick, oil levels high, severe loss of fuel economy, were talking going from 300+miles on the tank and now barely 200miles .

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Had to do injectors on wifes car this year. After 110k the factory vw injectors bit the dust and one stuck wide open.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It all came back again even after swapping out the evap harness. I'm pulling injectors this weekend inspecting and then sending out to RC injectors. Fuel smell on dipstick, oil levels high, severe loss of fuel economy, were talking going from 300+miles on the tank and now barely 200miles .

Keep us up to date with your findings and end results!

OP
D
Thread Starter #30
Update:. Just got the injectors back today from RC injectors, btw if you live in SoCal just go to them and only them I had problems with all sorts of shops just lying straight to my face about using a port injection machine to test GDI injectors. Anyways, 2 out of 4 injectors were leaking pretty bad on startup. So with the engine cold the tolerances are far too loose with modern engines and the damn things will allow fuel right past the piston rings straight into the oil system.

Keep your fuel system cleaner everyone or if need be buy an extra set of injectors and revolve them every 50k miles just for precautionary measure. I've been seeing quite a few threads in various places referring to fuel issues and it seems to injector related or sensors/pump.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I've said it a thousand times and I'm going to say it again this is why it is so important to use a high quality fuel system cleaner at least once per oil change.

Direct injection injectors live in a nasty environment and they need help to stay functioning.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I've said it a thousand times and I'm going to say it again this is why it is so important to use a high quality fuel system cleaner at least once per oil change.

Direct injection injectors live in a nasty environment and they need help to stay functioning.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Meh. 88K miles on my '15 and over 55K on my X37. Not once have I used a fuel injection cleaner and everything is still OK. I guess it can be dependent on fuel quality and/or location.

OP
D
Thread Starter #34
Do these seals look formed well enough? I can still rotate them around the groove but I can't flex them.

I have tried using a vacuum hose and a clamp but I still see a gap on all the injectors directly in front of the black teflon seal. It's probably a bad idea but I can I use heat?

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do these seals look formed well enough? I can still rotate them around the groove but I can't flex them.

I have tried using a vacuum hose and a clamp but I still see a gap on all the injectors directly in front of the black teflon seal. It's probably a bad idea but I can I use heat?
Did the injectors you sent in also have a gap? Or were they swollen due over time use? Or did you not pay attention to this before you sent them in and there was also a gap....But you didn't notice*

OP
D
Thread Starter #36
They looked swollen, as if slightly bead rolled at both ends. I have tried the vacuum tube with a worm clamp method but it doesn't seem to really form it into the groove. I can still twist the seal around but I definitely cannot move it back and forth it does not seem to have any excess stretch to it, as if level with the groove.

OP
D
Thread Starter #37
Just loaded the injectors in went for a drive and grabbed some oil for another change out. Keeping a close eye on the fuel output. I will give an update in a few short days. As a reminder I was only receiving about 200 miles to the tank of gas.

haste

1000 Post Club
Looking forward to the results. I've been contemplating replacing my injectors for "maintenance" but if cleaning is an option I might sway that direction.

OP
D
Thread Starter #39
Update: still using excessive fuel, next thing up is changing out my o2 sensors. Just to clarify I have 0 check engine lights but dumping fuel excessively. No loss of boost issue anymore it just won't stop eating up fuel excessively even when out of boost. I have checked for leaks in the fuel system and have come up with nothing.

Last edited:
Update: still using excessive fuel, next thing up is changing out my o2 sensors. Just to clarify I have 0 check engine lights but dumping fuel excessively. No loss of boost issue anymore it just won't stop eating up fuel excessively even when out of boost. I have checked for leaks in the fuel system and have come up with nothing.

Any luck?