Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Potential boost leak?

In the last few weeks it seems like my FiST isn’t building any boost. Where I used to be able to feel the low end power quickly build, it now feels like a N/A engine and not nearly as quick or responsive. I can still hear the turbo doing it’s turbo things, but there also seems to be a more pronounced woosh sound as it’s spooling up rather than just when I let off the throttle.
I just put new tires on (Yokohama Advance Fleva V701’s, so not some super sticky rubbers). It seems to be related to that same time frame. I’ve crawled around underneath checking all the connections and hoses and what nots, but nothing looks wonky.

Thoughts? I’ve never checked for a boost leak before, is there a cheap way to do it from home?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
There are a half dozen or so spots to check. Check by the throttle body then check underneath at the ends of the intercooler. Follow the large pipes that come off the ends of the intercooler and check those connections as well. Wiggle each one as it might not be immediately obvious.

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
There are a half dozen or so spots to check. Check by the throttle body then check underneath at the ends of the intercooler. Follow the large pipes that come off the ends of the intercooler and check those connections as well. Wiggle each one as it might not be immediately obvious.
How does one determine if it’s leaking though? Is it obvious at idle, or should I have someone hold the throttle open a little?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
How does one determine if it’s leaking though? Is it obvious at idle, or should I have someone hold the throttle open a little?
When he said to check, it means go make sure the clamps are tight.

The only way to really check for leaking boost is to pressurize the system and hunt for leaks that way. Otherwise, just look at where boost goes from end to end and check for loose bits along that path.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Ok, update. I finally found that the return hose on the cool side of the intercooler had slipped and wasn’t holding under boost. I took it off, made sure everything looked ok and put it all back together. Car ran great the next morning, but I guess I blew it back off at some point because my drive home was boost-less again.

Is there a better way to secure the hoses than with the factory screw hose clamps? The rest seem to be holding fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

get new band clamps, and put 2 clamps on it (the screws on opposite sides of the pipe from each other). it should never come off then, even with higher boost.
Spraying some hairspray in the hose before you put it on can help a little as well.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
get new band clamps, and put 2 clamps on it (the screws on opposite sides of the pipe from each other). it should never come off then, even with higher boost.
Spraying some hairspray in the hose before you put it on can help a little as well.
lol the hairspray works so much better than it has any right to. Been doing that since I had my grand national lol