Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Practical Weight Reduction Ideas for Daily Driver

ronmcdon

yeah pretty much looking for weight distribution and transfer. would mount somewhere behind right side, rear passenger seat. on a heavier car the gains might be less, but figure it'd be worthwhile on a lighter car. Not really sure center of gravity would matter that much.

some theorize more responsive steering feel and maybe it's a placebo effect but I could tell on my 240sx, which is similar weight 2800 lbs ish and closer to 50/50 stock. On my evo x and iirc, my old NA miata (RIP) this is stock. To me better steering makes a car more fun to drive on the street and easier to drive with hdpe events.

but yes this would overall add net weight all things equal for the battery box and added cables. Will try doing this mod in near future for the hell of it.

OP
D
Thread Starter #63
I'm doing the big brake kit instead of the smaller battery. In this way, all of my weight reduction will be with parts that work as good or better than the part it's replacing. Big brake kit over slotted OEM size rotors and OEM calipers, CF hood over stock hood, lighter 15" wheels with wider tires ver heavy OEM 17" wheels and narrower tires, and a donut spare that should be perfectly adequate to get me home and to a tire shop.

ronmcdon

You could definitely lose 30lbs off the front by going to a lighter battery and a CF hood......but that's when practicality and point of diminishing returns come into play.
chickened out and went with the lighter lithium battery route. after my recent reliability mishap kinda scared of introducing another complication. figure may lose 20 lbs give or take

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079V4D1Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_fabc_02K849YZ7HEDEK301PDW

OP
D
Thread Starter #65
Spare tire and carbon fiber hood ordered. Big brakes will be next, and then the wheels will have to wait until time for Summer tires here in Vermont. Hopefully mid-late April.

TemecFist

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Spare tire and carbon fiber hood ordered. Big brakes will be next, and then the wheels will have to wait until time for Summer tires here in Vermont. Hopefully mid-late April.
Are you going with Ron's brakes for 15" wheels, or the Wilwoods that fit under the smaller hoops?

I would go with the alloy/donut spare, but that setup will NOT get me out of the long, rough gravel stages while working NEFR if I puncture a tire on them. [:(]

Maybe I will get one and just put the factory boat anchor back in for working the rallies. [wink]

OP
D
Thread Starter #69
I'm not seeing that any of the Wilwood systems fit a 15" wheel. The one on Whoosh says 16"-17" and I just got off the phone with Wilwood sales support and according to them they don't even sell big brake kits for the FiST, so fuck 'em. I'm going with Ron.

Also I'm pretty sure the donut I ordered has a steel wheel, not alloy. There really wasn't much selection that I could find.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not seeing that any of the Wilwood systems fit a 15" wheel. The one on Whoosh says 16"-17" and I just got off the phone with Wilwood sales support and according to them they don't even sell big brake kits for the FiST, so fuck 'em. I'm going with Ron.

Also I'm pretty sure the donut I ordered has a steel wheel, not alloy. There really wasn't much selection that I could find.
O.D.D. racing in Colorado has developed a system which will fit under 15" wheels, using Wilwood parts, since every gravel rally wheel is that diameter.

But, yes, it is most likely $500.00+ more than Ron's 'brand' offering, so good choice! [thumb]

As far as the alloy spare goes, you have to look for the SE/Titanium (maybe even base??) Fiesta spares, since those used the alloy wheel donut setup.

They are somewhat hard to find (but many on here have had success in locating them), and it might mean a trip to a boneyard (IF there is one nearby, and IF they even have any wrecked Fiestas there).

OP
D
Thread Starter #73
LOL. It's MSRP $195 from the dealership, or at our cost $145, just for the alloy donut rim. I found a used one on eBay for $110 including shipping.

OP
D
Thread Starter #74
I already bought the steel donut, so now the question is how much less could it possibly weigh?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's probably somewhere in between the weight of the ST's factory full size, steel wheel spare, and the lesser Fiestas' alloy donut.

Last edited:

Mikey456

I bought mine on eBay too. Itā€™s the spare for the Fiesta SE. Itā€™s alloy and has 8 ā€œspokesā€

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires

TemecFist

oh same exact battery in that link. figure not bad for a bit under 6 lbs. will def look into some trays
6lbs?! That is pretty good!! I wonder if it would work on a non daily driver and without a trickle charger?

haste

1000 Post Club
I had the ATX-12-HD installed on my BMW K1200R. That battery cranked the engine over with ease and super fast. A brand new AGM wouldn't even come close. Very tempting to try out the ATX-30 in the Fiesta. That is quite the weight savings.

Looks like this one would be better for our application but is currently OOS.

https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-RS-30-Lithium-RE-START-Battery/dp/B07B8NGM17