Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Raistron's Build thread

Raistron

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Been a long time coming, but I finally pulled the trigger of a boat load of stuff from Whoosh. Only thing I didn't opt for was suspension for now, as I want to handle that all at once as well, and being indecisive on what set of dampers and springs to go with. Let me know if I missed anything that I'll have to snag later on down the line now that the car is paid off!

Intercooler: Whoosh V3 and Whoosh brand hose kit Blue
CAI: CPE 2014-2015 Ram Air Box Black/dry flow
Accessport: Cobb V3
RMM: Whoosh Street spec RMM
Short shift Kit: Whoosh Shifter base bushings Blue, cable bracket bushings Blue, and short shift kit Blue
BOV: Turbosmart EM BOV Dual port VR2
Tail lights: Spec-d Direct fit matte black clear lens
Side mirror Turn Signals: iSincer Crystal
Mud Flaps: Rally armor Black/Blue logo
Shift Knob: Billetworkz The Fusion, Blue Cosmic Space
Reverse Lockout and adaptor: Billetworkz Blue Cosmic Space
Shifter Boot: RedlineGoods Black shifter boot Medium Blue thread

Last edited:

Mikey456

It’s good that you are indecisive about dampers and springs. Because with the dampeners they are out of stock if you like Bilstein. Take your time and do your research. Do you want linear springs or progressive? Do you want to adjust height or not? What wheel size do you want go with on the suspension? What roads do you drive on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #3
Due to the FiST being my daily driver, I'm going primarily for comfort as far as suspension, but if an option presents itself to better handling and comfort, I'll take that over just comfort.

Progressive springs, adjustability would be a bonus not a need, looking into a set of RPF1s 16x8 Matte Bronze from Oako once I catch them in stock thinking 215 45/50 r16 I understand that they will likely rub so more research to come there, the roads in my neck of the woods are pothole centric hence the thicker tire.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Would love to see pics of the tail lights. I have the same set in the box but will probably be a while before I swap them on.

What color is your fist?

wheels and tires. hands down the most important mod ( outside of an AP ) for a daily IMO. I went 205/50/r16 and lowerd the tire pressure accordingly and it made a huge difference with the harshness of bumps/potholes. helped grip too. if your gonna lower it, you might be better off going with a 45 ratio

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
looking into a set of RPF1s 16x8 Matte Bronze from Oako once I catch them in stock thinking 215 45/50 r16 I understand that they will likely rub so more research to come there, the roads in my neck of the woods are pothole centric hence the thicker tire.
Those (depending on which ones you choose, since there is MUCH variance in both tread and section width amongst the options in that size) will not rub unless you slam the car down with BIG drop progressive rate springs, as so many on here tend to do.

Also realize that those will become SUMMER ONLY wheels, since there are NO all seasons offered in that size at all. (There are barely any over 200 tread wear SUMMER options in that size. [:(])

The single linear rate aftermarket spring offered to us is the Swift Spec R, which also seems to lower our rides the least of anything else out there, while giving a decently higher spring rate than factory. [wink]

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #7
Would love to see pics of the tail lights. I have the same set in the box but will probably be a while before I swap them on.

What color is your fist?
I'll send pics once I get them, color is Tuxedo Black, I searched for a while for a Kona Blue, but after I saw this one for 9000$ in 2020, couldn't pass it up.

wheels and tires. hands down the most important mod ( outside of an AP ) for a daily IMO. I went 205/50/r16 and lowerd the tire pressure accordingly and it made a huge difference with the harshness of bumps/potholes. helped grip too. if your gonna lower it, you might be better off going with a 45 ratio
No plans on lowering, currently waiting for my General G-max as-05's to be needed to be replaced before getting the wheels and tires though, think I might do sway bars, springs, dampeners or coilovers(?), at the same time so I only have to align it once.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #8
Those (depending on which ones you choose, since there is MUCH variance in both tread and section width amongst the options in that size) will not rub unless you slam the car down, as so many on here tend to do.

Also realize that those will become SUMMER ONLY wheels, since there are NO all seasons offered in that size at all. (There are barely any over 200 tread wear options in that size. [:(])

The single linear rate aftermarket spring offered to us is the Swift Spec R, which also seems to lower our rides the least of anything else out there, while giving a decently higher spring rate than factory. [wink]
That's a big ouch for tire selection, I'll have to look into that further. And I noticed that nearly everything is lowering springs, if anything I'd want it to be higher to fit more meaty rubbers on it. To be honest I don't understand spring rates or suspension related items very well, is higher spring rate more comfortable? Or is it more performance related?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Generally, higher spring rates, even with properly paired dampers (shocks) are less 'cushy', with much more 'road feel' and such.

But, if you have softer spring rates, paired with totally mismatched dampers (like many claim is the factory setup case with this ride), the ride can be worse than more rate ('bouncier' or pogo-like).

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #10
Interesting, I'll have to look into that and do some proper research on what exactly would work best. Works out that everyone here has asked questions and talked it over multiple times, gives me a lot of perspectives! At the moment I just want the ride to not feel like I have nothing between me and those potholes lol

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Interesting, I'll have to look into that and do some proper research on what exactly would work best. Works out that everyone here has asked questions and talked it over multiple times, gives me a lot of perspectives! At the moment I just want the ride to not feel like I have nothing between me and those potholes lol
If it’s me and I wanted stock ride height for a DD car I’d keep OEM springs and B6 dampers. They supposedly match the OEM spring rates better and will have less of the bounce that M Sport mentioned.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #12
If it’s me and I wanted stock ride height for a DD car I’d keep OEM springs and B6 dampers. They supposedly match the OEM spring rates better and will have less of the bounce that M Sport mentioned.
That looks like an amazing option, looks like I know what I'll be buying from Ron come next winter when I can afford it. Seriously appreciate the help guys!

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #13
Intercooler, Intake, short shift kit/various bushings, Shift knob/accessories, and turn signals will arrive tomorrow! I'll be sure to take plenty of grainy wide angle pictures, since my normal lens on my phone is busted and the wife will be at work. long weekend means plenty of time to work on the FiST! I'll likely do intake, and everything related to the shifter tomorrow possibly get the turn signals, and save the intercooler for when I get hoses in, and the Auto Hobby shop is open, I'd prefer to just put her on a lift for that!

Did a whole lot of research on the various suspension related things, since this is my daily, I'll stick to the OEM springs and do B6s. Looked into the tires further and saw the availability of tires in the sizes for 16x8 wheels, looks pretty rough so likely the move there is going to be to get the roller out, cause I might step it to 225/50 r16 with extcont. DWS 06's, seeing as the section width is 9.2" for 225 with that tire, I'd probably go 215 to get that down to 8.9" which itself is 226, gotta love tire companies.

I've seen quite a bit about people cutting for that kind of size, and I'm not shy to pull the Dremel and hammer out for clearance, so I'll just have to see what rubs and where.

Last edited:
OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #15
Installed the turn signals, had a few issues with the cover that's on the far left over one of the clips, but a pair of needles nose pliers and some oomph got em off. Waiting for the intake to come in later today to do the shift kit.

Massive shout out to Ron over at Whoosh, had literally everything I needed and then some, included some cool air fresheners and a blue sticker to match all my blue parts!

Looks awesome on tuxedo black metallic!

Attachments

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #16
Just installed the whoosh interior bushings for the shifter and installed the Billetworkz shift knob and reverse lockout. Shifts feel just the slightest firmer, and the knob feels amazing. Only complaint is the lockout clicks inside the knob on the 2-3 if you don't have a finger pressing on the top of it.

Attachments

Nice! I’ve been planning to get a billetworkz recerse lockout in the space red for some time now (I’ll do it at some point) I pass the shop like everyday on my way to work. They are cool dudes.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #18
They make a fantastic product, if a bit pricy. But I think it was well worth the cost! I'll likely find a gasket or something similar to fit over that spot where it clicks just to get rid of it.

Short shifter kit is installed, got 1 bolt into replacing the bushings on the bracket and the sun gave out on me, so stopped for the day, and I will be continuing tomorrow! Intake didn't come in, as the shipment got delayed to tomorrow, here's to hoping it makes it in!

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #19
Intake and the last of the shift bushings have been installed! As well as the mud guards, BOV, and intercooler pipes, blue was out so I picked purple instead just for the hell of it!

Intake arrived today by itself sadly, as it was marked to be coming in with the Whoosh V3 FMIC, not sure if FedEx lost it or what but I'll have to make calls Tuesday to figure it out.

So far so good though, will have to wait till Wednesday or later so I can put it on a lift for the BOV and probably do the mud flaps at the same time.

Attachments

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #20
So it appears that I've developed a leak in the rear hatch, or that it was always there, but while the car was in CA, where rain is a myth it wasn't an issue. Had about 6 inches deep standing water where the spare sits. Looked into the Water Intrussion Issue thread and Rear roof leak thread, so I already know where to look, and I will likely do so today after I install the BOV, RMM and mud flaps. The FMIC issue was resolved, just a slight bit of confusion on my part and all is well thus far as far as shipping goes, delivery for the tail lights and FMIC will at least be 14 days, potentially longer depending on supplies.

Cheers to Intuit and speedyspaghetti for sharing and spreading that interior water leak guide found here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uqyRVPt_SQ&t=221s