Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Really Should Stop Modifying my Daily Driver into a Track Car

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #103
Check your beam and see if its shifted. (just another data point to see if these are really necessary or if its a small population of owners that see this issue.)

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Check your beam and see if its shifted. (just another data point to see if these are really necessary or if its a small population of owners that see this issue.)
How do you propose I do that? Is there a baseline measurement I can compare to?

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #106
Take it to an alignment shop. They will measure the thrust angle. If there is a toe angle across the two rear wheels that is opposite of each other, your axle isn’t straight.

I have a set going out to a Fiesta track guy Monday. He is gonna take his car to the alignment shop and have his guy install them while the car is on the rack. I hope the shop owner will call me while he is installing the parts and monitoring the alignment. Be interesting to see how accurate the bolt holes are in relation to proper thrust angle.

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #107
Finally got the hardware for my rear beam closeout panel. I think this turned out pretty nice for my first time forming this plastic material. Its got a nice rounded nose on the leading edge and I turned up the back edge to help fair that air smoothly off the panel. Kinda sucks now I won't have my central jack point at the rear of the car now though. :(
IMG_3021.JPEG IMG_3022.JPEG IMG_3023.JPEG

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #109
I kinda have plans for a rear diffuser, but doubt it will get built before Barber. I am one coat of paint ready from prepping the splitter for install, as soon as the brackets ship from Send Cut Send. (I got you a set).

Will be interesting to see how well it works with the OE floor covers, the splitter, and the beam cover panel. I also wonder how well that cover will last twisting with the beam. The plastic is pretty flexible, so it should be OK.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I kinda have plans for a rear diffuser, but doubt it will get built before Barber. I am one coat of paint ready from prepping the splitter for install, as soon as the brackets ship from Send Cut Send. (I got you a set).

Will be interesting to see how well it works with the OE floor covers, the splitter, and the beam cover panel. I also wonder how well that cover will last twisting with the beam. The plastic is pretty flexible, so it should be OK.
Send Cut Send is fantastic - I've only ordered samples from them before but I've followed them for quite a while. Hoping to design a couple bits soon to have them cut by them.

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #112
This is my first go with them, obviously I just make my own parts, but Its time to grow up and properly draw up my ideas and have them laser cut. Plus once my designs are proven, I can make more for other people.

Got a set of 17x8 Hypergrams today. They don't come with centering rings and the center bore on the wheel is 73.1mm. Guess I am gonna have to make my own aluminum hub centric rings. Konig doesn't even show an aluminum one. Not using the plastic ones. They will help under track usage.

First bolt up, no spacers, just wheel on the rotor like my Rotas.
71348824050__39703564-912E-480D-84A7-AA1BAD58F392.JPEG 71348825922__E481E976-7540-4CFC-B057-64CB70CAED25.JPEG 71348864830__B01B6215-BF8F-4141-ACCF-7A739D6F92EF.JPEG 71348885138__A0C57882-C531-4E1C-9E36-E37EE2FB02CC.JPEG

Houston, we have a problem!!!!!!

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #113
Welp, that is a fail. These are a 17x8 ET40 wheel. Lets try that with a generic 3mm/.125in spacer.
IMG_3038.JPEG
Well that is a little on the close side. That is about .5mm/.020in. Good sign though. That is my closest contact point. Lets try a 6mm.
IMG_3039.JPEG IMG_3040.JPEG
That is a little more than 2mm/.088in. Plenty of clearance without going to a HUGE spacer. So I can order 5mm spacers from H&R but they only sell them with the longer studs, I already have the longer studs and I happen to have a hunk of 6in 6061 aluminum round bar. Guess I am making my own spacers and hubcentric rings.

I am a little disappointed in what I would consider an odd machining finish on the back of the wheel hub face. Anyone else run into this? There is a weird step halfway through the hub face.
IMG_3037.JPEG

Dialcaliper

This is my first go with them, obviously I just make my own parts, but Its time to grow up and properly draw up my ideas and have them laser cut. Plus once my designs are proven, I can make more for other people.

Got a set of 17x8 Hypergrams today. They don't come with centering rings and the center bore on the wheel is 73.1mm. Guess I am gonna have to make my own aluminum hub centric rings. Konig doesn't even show an aluminum one. Not using the plastic ones. They will help under track usage.

First bolt up, no spacers, just wheel on the rotor like my Rotas.
View attachment 57318 View attachment 57319 View attachment 57320 View attachment 57321

Houston, we have a problem!!!!!!
The step shouldn’t be a problem - it will help them sit flat near the studs even if the hub face isn’t as flat as it should be. I believe the Dekagrams are the same. Why they didn’t bring the step all the way under the bolt, who knows?

I could have made my own, but ended up finding a set of cheap aluminum hubcentric rings on eBay that were reasonably well made (for flea bay stuff - read decent surface finish and actually concentric), with clever silicone orings to hold them in. Between the orings and anodizing, I’d have a hard time making them cheaper myself.

73.1mm is a common aftermarket size that Konig and many others also use.

Linky:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2645335101...nvKyLozQzy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Last edited:
OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #115
Damn those are WAY nicer than I expected some Flebay parts to be. I was kinda thinking about making mine a shrink fit and just warm the wheel a little and push the rings in. I really see no reason to make them removable. Now you have me re-thinking making those. Were they machined or cast?

I don't see how the lug nuts don't put a bending force on that hub face when tightened down, plus I am not sure there would be enough contact patch to keep from introducing a shear load into the lug studs.

Dialcaliper

Damn those are WAY nicer than I expected some Flebay parts to be. I was kinda thinking about making mine a shrink fit and just warm the wheel a little and push the rings in. I really see no reason to make them removable. Now you have me re-thinking making those. Were they machined or cast?

I don't see how the lug nuts don't put a bending force on that hub face when tightened down, plus I am not sure there would be enough contact patch to keep from introducing a shear load into the lug studs.
The rings are machined, claim to be 7075-T6 and anodized. They appear to have come from a shop in SoCal, I’m guessing some small company that outsources the machining (not unlike how Ron sources “Whoosh” brand parts). They even came packed in a slick looking fake carbon fiber skinned wooden box and not just loose in a bag.

I’m sure there’s theoretically some bending going on with that step, but the hub is so thick between the lug nut seat and the hub face that I’m not that worried. Still an odd design, but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I’m sure there’s theoretically some bending going on with that step, but the hub is so thick between the lug nut seat and the hub face that I’m not that worried. Still an odd design, but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.
I'd love to have my Dekagram's hub faces machined/milled down about 5mm-6mm to pull them inboard that much and lessen the (excessive to ME) 'poke' they currently have. [wink]

But that would be more co$tly to do than just buying new, higher numerical ET, TD Pro Race LTs or KE Motorsport Pro wheels (but not more $$$ than the Braids I really want! [:(])

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #118
I'd love to have my Dekagram's hub faces machined/milled down about 5mm-6mm to pull them inboard that much and lessen the (excessive to ME) 'poke' they currently have. [wink]

But that would be more co$tly to do than just buying new, higher numerical ET, TD Pro Race LTs or KE Motorsport Pro wheels (but not more $$$ than the Braids I really want! [:(])
I doubt there is enough material to safely pull 6mm out of the hub face on an aftermarket wheel.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
The step shouldn’t be a problem - it will help them sit flat near the studs even if the hub face isn’t as flat as it should be. I believe the Dekagrams are the same. Why they didn’t bring the step all the way under the bolt, who knows?

I could have made my own, but ended up finding a set of cheap aluminum hubcentric rings on eBay that were reasonably well made (for flea bay stuff - read decent surface finish and actually concentric), with clever silicone orings to hold them in. Between the orings and anodizing, I’d have a hard time making them cheaper myself.

73.1mm is a common aftermarket size that Konig and many others also use.

Linky:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2645335101...nvKyLozQzy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Those are nice, thanks for sharing. Just ordered a set

OP
Fusion Works

Fusion Works

Thread Starter #120
Because I am a dork, have a machine shop at hand, and have 200lbs of titanium bar in the corner, its time to make some splitter rub blocks so I can shoot sparks on corner entry. These are 2.5in of 6AL 4V titanium .750in thick. That will get them within 2.25in of the track at ride height and once the car rolls into the corner and settles on the springs, hopefully sparking away. HAHA.
IMG_3047.JPEG IMG_3048.JPEG IMG_3049.JPEG

Also got the last coat of paint on the splitter today. It should be dry tomorrow. Also got a shipment notice from Send Cut Send on the splitter brackets. Hope those show up next week. Now to play with where I want to mount these blocks on the splitter.
IMG_3050.JPEG