Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Resonator delete - off the shelf purchase (and a some advice)

OK i was faced with wanting a bit more exhaust sound on my Fiesta ST but i did not want to pay the high prices of a full replacement exhaust. It is well known that the cat back does not make any HP over the stock system and i could not justify the $500+ these systems cost.

So i considered having a muffler shop cut out my resonator but after seeing a few of the hack jobs i decided that i did not want to go in that direction.

On Ebay i found someone making a Resonator delete pipe and contacted them. I found out that the unit used Stainless pipes and hangers but had a ferric steel flange. Living just north of Boston i really wanted a full stainless system that also had a Stanless flange. THis vendor said they would source one for me for a bit more money.

below is a picture of what came in. Note the flange is perfect and flat, a reflection in the picture below make it look odd.
IMG_5860 (2).jpg

It looked well made and the flange was Tig welded for a good seal.

Now i had to take off my resonator. I was working from jack stands and lifted the car as high as i could with my floor jack.
the thing that took the most time was the bolts on the exhaust flange. I did not want to destroy the studs. The nuts were very badly rusted and rounded off. From the look of it the studs on the stock manifold were stainless steel. i considered a number of ways to handle these nuts. and went out and bought some rounded nut extractors from sears. they did not work at all.

In the end i found taking my dremel tool with a small cut off wheel is what worked the best. I cut a slit in the side of the nuts and used a small chisel to get them off. I tried as best as i could not to damage the stud. In the end it worked well, i did mess up the threads a bit but i just chased them with a die to fix them. By the way the nut is 7/16 -14. I replaced them with brass nuts so i would not have this problem in the future again. note - never never never use stainless nuts on a stainless stud. you will not get them off.

IMG_5867.jpg

Now to cut the pipe. you cut it 7cm in front of the front hanger, the vendor is nice enough to show you a picture on ebay were to cut it. i used one of the chain type cutters (free rental from local auto parts center). it cut the pipe like butter. it sliced it within 2-3 min. if you use this method to cut it, remember to oil the chain well, it makes it cut much easier.

IMG_5866.jpg

Here are the parts side by side

IMG_5863.jpg

then it was just a simple matter of bolting up the new part. The vendor includes a pipe clamp that works fine. its not stainless and i may upgrade that in the future but its not leaking. a gasket is also included and i used it. I did not need his bolts / nuts as i used the stock studs with new brass nuts.

IMG_5904.jpg

The sound? well at idle it sounds the same, at WOT there is more noise, i am very happy with it and there is no droning at any speed. Its not a major change but I am happy with it.

the vendor you ask? it was Zaustworx on ebay, he also has a facebook page.

In the listing he calls it a "ford Fiesta ST180 mid silencer pipe center box delete de-res pipe - Export" this is the one that 100% stainless, the one that does not say export uses a ferric steel flange. delivered it was just under $100. best thing is that if i wanted to i could put the old one back on with no problem.

I am VERY happy i went in this direction and would do this again in a minute. It achieved exactly what i wanted to do for very little money.

enjoy.

Last edited:

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
I've been interested in this or the muffler delete. Put up a video.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
GREAT find and job there! [thumb]

You were smart to get the WHOLE deal in stainless, as I can vouch for the fact that the ferric (not even 409 stainless) flanges DO absolutely rust completely out/through over the years in the northeast's salt soup winters.
I had an SLP 'y-pipe' on my 4th gen LS1 f body, and JUST the ferric flange rusted TOTALLY away, the rest of the 409 stainless pipe was fine-they ended up warrantying it for me, giving me a brand new one.

BTW; the ~ 1.5" wide, Accuseal "Torca" band clamps (like a lot of the aftermarket systems use) are available in all stainless at Summit and other performance sites.

OP
V
Thread Starter #4
I was also thinking of the muffler delete, this vendor makes both. But I decided to stick with what I have for now. I really like it.
Note, the vendor is a stand up guy and took good care of me. I would not hesitate buying anything from him in the future.

I have no easy way to take a vid but there are plenty on line if you search "Fiesta St resonator delete " just make sure you watch one that has the stock down pipe. as some folks do more than one thing to their cars.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I did the resonator delete thing on the way home from picking up the new car, $100 at a muffler shop to cut out and replace with a piece of straight pipe. Sound was not improved much......still want a Borla! The resonator delete does almost nothing for the sound, knowing what I know now I should have saved the $100 towards a nice exhaust.

OP
V
Thread Starter #6
Different strokes for different Folks. I wanted a resonator delete that adds a bit more noise at WOT. This mod did just that. Its also reversible if I would like to go back to stock.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Different strokes for different Folks. I wanted a resonator delete that adds a bit more noise at WOT. This mod did just that. Its also reversible if I would like to go back to stock.
I understand and am not saying what you did was bad, mine too is reversible. I was hoping for more sound and the resonator delete does not improve the sound enough to me to justify the cost in hindsight. If you are happy that is great, but if people are looking for a significant sound change this is not it. My $100 will have been a waste for me as with the Sound Symposer delete the sound of the exhaust has not changed enough to notice from inside the car. Do you still have the Symposer? Again I am not saying what you did was bad, it is a great write-up for people that want to do it themselves and will be happy with the sound. I just want to let people know it may not be for all if they are expecting a big difference.

OP
V
Thread Starter #10
This same vendor has a rear muffler delete, that would work well for folks that really increase the volume (as posted above). not sure I would do both at the same time as it would require earplugs ;)

I understand and am not saying what you did was bad, mine too is reversible. I was hoping for more sound and the resonator delete does not improve the sound enough to me to justify the cost in hindsight. If you are happy that is great, but if people are looking for a significant sound change this is not it. My $100 will have been a waste for me as with the Sound Symposer delete the sound of the exhaust has not changed enough to notice from inside the car. Do you still have the Symposer? Again I am not saying what you did was bad, it is a great write-up for people that want to do it themselves and will be happy with the sound. I just want to let people know it may not be for all if they are expecting a big difference.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Besides actually wanting (even IF I did not really need it at this time/mod level) a 3" system, and much more 'sound' than a delete would produce, the other reason I wanted an aftermarket system is the 'look' of the tips themselves, as the stockers, as UN-'ricey' as they may be, also look a little too 'anemic' for this car's character (to me at least [wink]).

It changes the tone nicely from outside the car! Inside you can only really hear it when you get on it or if you're cruising around town (less wind noise) with the windows down.

[video=youtube;u48_3zKsXNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u48_3zKsXNI[/video]

Typical Tom, your ride sounds sweet. Is that the zaustworx piece, muffler shop, or diy? Want to do this to my 17'. Thanks.

Last edited:
Great post, just ordered the last pipe the vendor is selling, 150ish shipped. The picture they have is pretty blurry do you recall if the cur mark is at the 3in from the posted image in the eBay seller. Seems like they are still selling 4 yrs later. For the clamp, did you swap it out or did you leave it? Also, any exhaust sealant required for the slip joint where the clamp goes on? Thx so much!

OK i was faced with wanting a bit more exhaust sound on my Fiesta ST but i did not want to pay the high prices of a full replacement exhaust. It is well known that the cat back does not make any HP over the stock system and i could not justify the $500+ these systems cost.

So i considered having a muffler shop cut out my resonator but after seeing a few of the hack jobs i decided that i did not want to go in that direction.

On Ebay i found someone making a Resonator delete pipe and contacted them. I found out that the unit used Stainless pipes and hangers but had a ferric steel flange. Living just north of Boston i really wanted a full stainless system that also had a Stanless flange. THis vendor said they would source one for me for a bit more money.

below is a picture of what came in. Note the flange is perfect and flat, a reflection in the picture below make it look odd.
View attachment 12574

It looked well made and the flange was Tig welded for a good seal.

Now i had to take off my resonator. I was working from jack stands and lifted the car as high as i could with my floor jack.
the thing that took the most time was the bolts on the exhaust flange. I did not want to destroy the studs. The nuts were very badly rusted and rounded off. From the look of it the studs on the stock manifold were stainless steel. i considered a number of ways to handle these nuts. and went out and bought some rounded nut extractors from sears. they did not work at all.

In the end i found taking my dremel tool with a small cut off wheel is what worked the best. I cut a slit in the side of the nuts and used a small chisel to get them off. I tried as best as i could not to damage the stud. In the end it worked well, i did mess up the threads a bit but i just chased them with a die to fix them. By the way the nut is 7/16 -14. I replaced them with brass nuts so i would not have this problem in the future again. note - never never never use stainless nuts on a stainless stud. you will not get them off.

View attachment 12578

Now to cut the pipe. you cut it 7cm in front of the front hanger, the vendor is nice enough to show you a picture on ebay were to cut it. i used one of the chain type cutters (free rental from local auto parts center). it cut the pipe like butter. it sliced it within 2-3 min. if you use this method to cut it, remember to oil the chain well, it makes it cut much easier.

View attachment 12577

Here are the parts side by side

View attachment 12576

then it was just a simple matter of bolting up the new part. The vendor includes a pipe clamp that works fine. its not stainless and i may upgrade that in the future but its not leaking. a gasket is also included and i used it. I did not need his bolts / nuts as i used the stock studs with new brass nuts.

View attachment 12579

The sound? well at idle it sounds the same, at WOT there is more noise, i am very happy with it and there is no droning at any speed. Its not a major change but I am happy with it.

the vendor you ask? it was Zaustworx on ebay, he also has a facebook page.

In the listing he calls it a "ford Fiesta ST180 mid silencer pipe center box delete de-res pipe - Export" this is the one that 100% stainless, the one that does not say export uses a ferric steel flange. delivered it was just under $100. best thing is that if i wanted to i could put the old one back on with no problem.

I am VERY happy i went in this direction and would do this again in a minute. It achieved exactly what i wanted to do for very little money.

enjoy.
I just did this and very happy with the results, I picked up the pipe from the same vendor and delivery was quick and impeccable build quality. They def don't have ss clamps, I just bought some evil energy ones and it fit well! One thing I didn't not expect was after the delete and with the new pipe, the FIST revs much quick and more responsive. It's definitely an improvement in pick up and I'm quite happy with this! Here is a sound clip, I bungled the before as I had it on time lapse and didn't have sound. This is a cold start.
Throaty!
View: https://youtu.be/7FRied2PWGU

This is a one 🍌 job, very happy with the subtle sound increase and the more responsive performance!

Attachments