Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Safe aftermarket LED headlight bulb info, finds and discussion

Cneu

Premium Account
How did y'all get the techmax minis into the housing? They are long just like the non-mini ones and won't fit without modifying the housing which I'd like to avoid doing. Or am I supposed to remove the fan? Or am I just doing something wrong? lol

edit: damnit I ordered the gen 2 minis. That's why i guess. The OP in this thread needs to be updated. Searching through this thread is pretty awful.

Last edited:
How did y'all get the techmax minis into the housing? They are long just like the non-mini ones and won't fit without modifying the housing which I'd like to avoid doing. Or am I supposed to remove the fan? Or am I just doing something wrong? lol

edit: damnit I ordered the gen 2 minis. That's why i guess. The OP in this thread needs to be updated. Searching through this thread is pretty awful.
Did you grab the extended dust caps? Seemed like there were people who just made it fit but using these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QPGZ92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00) to replace the existing covers on the back of the lights made it pretty painless.

I bought the 85mm caps, but I couldn't get them to fit. I swapped my bulbs yesterday and realized it after, so I'm just running bootless for a couple days while I figure it out

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I bought the 85mm caps, but I couldn't get them to fit. I swapped my bulbs yesterday and realized it after, so I'm just running bootless for a couple days while I figure it out
I forget what size I ended up with after getting the wrong ones. I think it was 85mm but that particular cap has an inner ring of material I sliced off after another member confirmed doing it and they fit great.

Cneu

Premium Account

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Again.....I still am baffled at why alot of you need dust caps or modify the light assembly. My Techmaxs fit right in when I used them with the stock dust caps.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Cneu

Premium Account
Again.....I still am baffled at why alot of you need dust caps or modify the light assembly. My Techmaxs fit right in when I used them with the stock dust caps.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Which techmaxs are you talking about? There are three different kinds being discussed here on the forums and many times nobody distinguishes between them. The Techmax Small Design fit no problem. The Techmax Gen 1/2/minis require modifying the housings if you have the USDM style housing.

I ordered all three kinds and I can say with certainty that only the small design will fit without modifying the housing if you have the USDM style housing. They go in quickly and easily, just like a standard H11.

I actually managed to get the gen1/gen2/mini into the socket but there was so much pressure from the housing clearing issue that i couldn't rotate them at all. The housing contacted the fan assembly and pressed the whole bulb assembly into the socket hole with a lot of pressure. The fan wouldn't spin because of the pressure.

And to be clear, the dust cap isn't the issue. The housing itself is too short to allow the length of the techmax's to work. The fan assembly collides with the housing and doesn't allow the bulbs to be inserted. Unless you've found some insertion method that works, in which case please show us how that's done. You replied to a comment that had photos showing the issue so you're aware of what I'm talking about. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...b-info-finds-and-discussion.18114/post-457659

Small design - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNVVSNK
Gen 2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJN9SPV
Mini - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1LTQ92

Attachments

Last edited:
Did you grab the extended dust caps? Seemed like there were people who just made it fit but using these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QPGZ92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00) to replace the existing covers on the back of the lights made it pretty painless.
I just ordered a pair of these last night for my Depo's. Saw a random amazon review claim that it worked on his FiST. In retrospect I have no clue why I trusted some random dude on amazon.com 😂

I'm more curious how hot the inside of these Taiwanese Headlight housings are going to get, with the LED fans blowing hot air in circles. Lol.

Hi guys. Do the base of the leds get hot enough to melt the housing. Saw a you tube vid where the led melted where the fan is located. The guy caught it in time.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I just installed some https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYZU604?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details earlier today and I am wondering now if it was safe to tuck the drivers into the headlight assembly.. I know that normal halogens just connect without a driver but these had that copper colored box on the other side of the connector. I am just worried about it overheating and damaging something. I made sure not to block the heatsink at all but this should be safe, right? I used this video to do the install exactly as they did down to the same bulbs and all:

View: https://youtu.be/9EbEd_YYttc?t=290

Any thoughts? They also tucked in the wiring which makes sense bc where else would it go? I just don't want to fuck anything up if the driver gets too hot.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Which techmaxs are you talking about? There are three different kinds being discussed here on the forums and many times nobody distinguishes between them. The Techmax Small Design fit no problem. The Techmax Gen 1/2/minis require modifying the housings if you have the USDM style housing.

I ordered all three kinds and I can say with certainty that only the small design will fit without modifying the housing if you have the USDM style housing. They go in quickly and easily, just like a standard H11.

I actually managed to get the gen1/gen2/mini into the socket but there was so much pressure from the housing clearing issue that i couldn't rotate them at all. The housing contacted the fan assembly and pressed the whole bulb assembly into the socket hole with a lot of pressure. The fan wouldn't spin because of the pressure.

And to be clear, the dust cap isn't the issue. The housing itself is too short to allow the length of the techmax's to work. The fan assembly collides with the housing and doesn't allow the bulbs to be inserted. Unless you've found some insertion method that works, in which case please show us how that's done. You replied to a comment that had photos showing the issue so you're aware of what I'm talking about. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...b-info-finds-and-discussion.18114/post-457659

Small design - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNVVSNK
Gen 2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJN9SPV
Mini - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C1LTQ92
Pretty sure it was the Gen1 Minis*

There is another vid from those same guys where the led melted at the fan

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z91FMvLNU0
Oh shit. Now I'm worried. Can't I just run them without the dust caps on to allow the fan to get air? Really don't feel like having to return these. Otherwise, which LEDs do you guys recommend then?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Oh shit. Now I'm worried. Can't I just run them without the dust caps on to allow the fan to get air? Really don't feel like having to return these. Otherwise, which LEDs do you guys recommend then?
Techmax Gen1 minis with the Blue Sealing ring* Don't worry about some ass hat who didn't install them properly and used a hammer to put them in. I ran LEDS for like 30k No issues and even installed the OEM Dustcaps. You will be ok buddy!

Cneu

Premium Account

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNVVSNK

Use those. No mods, no melting, no issues.

Don't bother trying to find which ones are gen 1 minis. Just order the small design.

Cneu

Premium Account
Yeah those dont fit into my housings and a few other people said they dont fit. They're the same length as the gen 2 but they're not as wide. I know because I had both of them in hand and they were pretty much the same length. I put the Gen 2s into my fog lights and returned the gen1 minis.

Looking at the amazon reviews, techmax themselves say the gen 1 minis will only work in the fog light. But customer reviews say they'll work in the low beams.

This thread has a ton of conflicting information in it. I'm curious if there's maybe 2 different USDM housings? Or maybe techmax has different products under the same model? idk

here are the product dimensions as stated in the specs.

Gen 1 mini: 6.1 x 5.51 x 2.17 inches
Gen 2: 5.9 x 5 x 2.5 inches

so yeah really not much of a difference.

Small design: 4.65 x 4.57 x 2.28 inches

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah those dont fit into my housings and a few other people said they dont fit. They're the same length as the gen 2 but they're not as wide. I know because I had both of them in hand and they were pretty much the same length. I put the Gen 2s into my fog lights and returned the gen1 minis.

Looking at the amazon reviews, techmax themselves say the gen 1 minis will only work in the fog light. But customer reviews say they'll work in the low beams.

This thread has a ton of conflicting information in it. I'm curious if there's maybe 2 different USDM housings? Or maybe techmax has different products under the same model? idk

here are the product dimensions as stated in the specs.

Gen 1 mini: 6.1 x 5.51 x 2.17 inches
Gen 2: 5.9 x 5 x 2.5 inches

so yeah really not much of a difference.

Small design: 4.65 x 4.57 x 2.28 inches
Ill make a video of the Blue Techmaxs Gen1s going into Stock housings with the OEM dustcap over the weekend to disprove the myth they "Wont' Fit or OEM dust caps wont fit with them in.

Cneu

Premium Account
Ill make a video of the Blue Techmaxs Gen1s going into Stock housings with the OEM dustcap over the weekend to disprove the myth they "Wont' Fit or OEM dust caps wont fit with them in.
lol please do. It's not a myth.

I'm not sure why you're acting like I'm making stuff up. It's very possible techmax is shipping different sized products, especially over such a time period. Techmax themselves say they wont fit in response to a customer asking. Either way the whole condescending tone isn't necessary and I already gave a likely explanation. Amazon is not a reliable market place and manufacturers swap out products all the time without changing the ads. It's very possible the minis changed. So anyone ordering them now could receive what I received or get a compatible version.

Just because something worked for you does not mean everyone else is getting the same product or their experience is the same. So I'll repeat, I had all three types of techmax next to eachother and the gen1 minis and gen 2 were basically the same size in terms of length. Neither would go into my housings properly. That's why I HAD to order the small design. I even quoted the product specifications to show the size difference is negligible.

Notice how i'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that the products i received would not fit. I see other people having success with the Gen 1 Minis. We can both be right without the weird attitude.

In any case, the OP needs to be updated so people stop ordering the Gen2s. Combing through this thread is annoying.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
lol please do. It's not a myth.

I'm not sure why you're acting like I'm making stuff up. It's very possible techmax is shipping different sized products, especially over such a time period. Techmax themselves say they wont fit in response to a customer asking. Either way the whole condescending tone isn't necessary and I already gave a likely explanation. Amazon is not a reliable market place and manufacturers swap out products all the time without changing the ads. It's very possible the minis changed. So anyone ordering them now could receive what I received or get a compatible version.

Just because something worked for you does not mean everyone else is getting the same product or their experience is the same. So I'll repeat, I had all three types of techmax next to eachother and the gen1 minis and gen 2 were basically the same size in terms of length. Neither would go into my housings properly. That's why I HAD to order the small design. I even quoted the product specifications to show the size difference is negligible.

Notice how i'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that the products i received would not fit. I see other people having success with the Gen 1 Minis. We can both be right without the weird attitude.

In any case, the OP needs to be updated so people stop ordering the Gen2s. Combing through this thread is annoying.
The OP is no longer an active member so I don't think that will ever be adjusted or fixed Unless Dan comes on. Which I doubt* There is no "Attitude" that you're referring too* The OEM assemblies are manufactured to tight specs and don't vary by much at all. I run Retrofits with HIDs and Halos now so i just need to get to my garage and open my OEM headlights up to reveal the truth. So dont get your panties in bundle. Ive been on here long enough and saw people come and go with their " Build" projects and within a year they are gone onto another platform just like changing garbage bags in the bathroom on garbage day. [drummer]